Notifications
Clear all

Chris Roberts Star Citizen

Page 9 / 18

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Guess what, yup 19 million target hit. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13266-Letter-From-The-Chairman-19-Million

It’s hard to believe we’re here again already in just over a week! Star Citizen Backers have brought us to an astounding $19 million! Stretch goals we thought would take months to reach are being unlocked every week. Thanks to you, the dream of a true AAA PC game without the restrictions of a publisher has become a reality.

At $19 million, you have unlocked the following goals:

• Know your foe with a Jane’s Fighting Ships style manual free in PDF form to all pledgers.
  • Manage Space Stations – Players will compete to own and operate a limited number of space stations across the galaxy.
  • RSI Museum will air monthly, with a new game featured each time!

also they are promising some thing special for the first anniversary on the 10 of October.

What’s next? At this pace, it even seems possible that we will achieve these goals just in time for the first anniversary of Star Citizen’s unveiling, on October 10th. (Either way, we have some surprises in the works for the community to celebrate that day!)

And they also posted some concept art of the Female citizen.

Femexplorer_zps7666c69f.jpg

ReplyQuote
Elanoides
(@elanoides)
Petty Officer Registered

GPU ’14 Tech Day

Chris Roberts is teaming up with AMD for their big GPU announcement tomorrow! AMD will be unveiling their 2014 GPU lineup in a special stream live from Hawaii tomorrow at 2 PM CST (-5 GMT) and they’ve invited Chris Roberts to make an appearance! Watch this space – we’ll be showing the video right here at RSI. You can learn more from AMD’s press release here

Read more at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13280-AMD-Livestream-And-Press-Roundup

ReplyQuote
yankee
(@yankee)
Crewman Registered

I'm not following the progress of StarCitizen that close but is the rate of incoming funding actually slowing down at all? I really wonder at what point this gonna end. 😉

Although as far as I know, true AAA titles still have way more funding than $20M.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New cinematic trailer for SC.

And they have hit $20 million https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13284-Letter-From-The-Chairman-20-Million with new unlocks for FPS on some planets and new goals and a fish tank for the hanger (did not Mass Effect have one of theses).

Fishtank_Gold_zps9115b8cd.jpg

First person combat on select lawless planets. Don’t just battle on space stations and platforms … take the fight to the ground!

Facial Capture System. We’ve researched a technology that uses a series of cameras to capture real heads and import them into the game. This will let the team more easily create a variety of realistic characters. In addition, the technology is mobile enough to allow us to take it on the road and capture select fans during special events! You can learn more about this technology at Infinite-Realities.

They have also addressed some concerns about feature creep in the game.

There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce. Typically the stretch goals fall into two categories;

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints. The first person combat on select planets is a great example of this type of goal. We already have FPS combat as part of the game in ship boarding, and we already have most of this already functional thanks to CryEngine, as we essentially have Crysis3 functionality out of the box. But creating all the environments and assets to fill them is a huge task, so we were planning on not doing any planetside combat initially, simply because of its cost, with the idea that we would slowly roll it out once the game is live. But with the additional funds we can now afford to create some of this content earlier rather than later.

The facial capture system is an example of the second type, where we identify technology and equipment that will make the game better and allow us to be more nimble and economically efficient in continually creating content for the ongoing universe that we are aiming to support. The motion capture system and sound studio were goals that feel into this category.

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game.

Also some thing about multiple package https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13288-Multiple-Package-Clarification

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Fishy, fishy, fishy, fish!

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

That's why I going to spend money, on this game, when it comes out, but not a penny before   :O  :O !!!

ReplyQuote
StarMax
(@starmax)
Senior Chief Registered

Looking at the latest footage i suddenly want an Astromech Droid on my ship.

ReplyQuote
vamperium
(@vamperium)
Petty Officer Registered

Looking at the latest footage i suddenly want an Astromech Droid on my ship.

If you are a backer you will get a repair bot, if not you can buy one later. I'm sure they will be reskinned in no time to look like astromechs. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

What does the repair bot look like?.

ReplyQuote
DiabloTigerSix
(@diablotigersix)
Master Chief Registered

Dunno, but it sounds like an unfair advantage for those who possess it.

ReplyQuote
vamperium
(@vamperium)
Petty Officer Registered

They haven't released any art for it yet, it was an early stretch goal unlock.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/AMX-1_Repair_Droid

As for it being unfair, they will be purchasable with in game credits like anything else, and I imagine a player will be able to repair faster than a bot can. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another week and another email from SC big surprise is that they have not hit the  21 million mark yet anyhow next week see the 1st anniversary of the game.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13302-CitizenCon-And-MobiGlas-Concept

Greetings Citizens,

Mobiglass002.jpgMobiglas Concept Artwork

We’re less than a week away from the first anniversary of Star Citizen’s announcement! October 10th will mark the one year anniversary of Chris Roberts’ announcing Star Citizen at GDC Online. And we’re celebrating with a special event! Star Citizen developers from offices around the world are gathering in Austin, Texas, where the game was first announced, to celebrate the progress we’ve made.

In honor of this anniversary, Cloud Imperium is hosting a special event in downtown Austin. And… since Star Citizen wouldn’t exist without our backers, we’re opening the show to you! Chris Roberts and the rest of the Star Citizen team will be giving a special keynote presentation to show everyone the work we’ve been doing this past year… and talk about what’s coming next! You can tune in live starting at 6:30 PM CST (-5 GMT) on Thursday, October 10th. One note for our fans worldwide who may not be able to view the event: any limited-time offers will run through the following weekend (ending Monday, October 14th). We will also be announcing the winners of the Star Citizen photo contest. If you’d like to enter, this is your last chance; the deadline is tonight at midnight CST.

Storyboard_clean02c.jpgMobiglas Concept Artwork

Next week also marks the first time the entire Star Citizen team will be in one place at one time, and we’ll be taking full advantage of the opportunity! The MobiGlas concepts above are a small taste of what we’ll be fleshing out during a series of major planning sessions. If you’re familiar with the Star Citizen fiction we’ve already published, you probably remember a character using their MobiGlas, a portable computer interface. Now a challenge for our designers is coming up with how the player will use the MobiGlas; it’s like building an entirely new computer system! These storyboards, created by the team at Behaviour, show our current progress. Next week, the team will be talking about everything from how you’ll use your MobiGlass to how you’ll command capital ships!

We’re looking forward to the summit and to the livestream presentation. We can’t wait to share some more of the work we’ve done in the past year with the community… along with a surprise or two!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

And they hit the 21 million mark https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13305-Letter-From-The-Chairman-21-Million

Greetings Citizens,

I’m proud to announce that the Star Citizen community has brought us to $21 million in crowd funding just shy of our first anniversary! Your support is now allowing the project to expand on ideas in ways we didn’t originally think possible. Every additional pledge makes Star Citizen a better experience. At the $21 million, you unlock the full salvage mechanic, which allows us to produce the assets needed to make salvaging an in-depth game mechanic akin to exploration or piracy!

• Salvage Mechanic: Salvage isn’t an aside: it’s a career, with its own mechanic, story tie-ins and universe-shaping endgames. Search the galaxy for a host of valuable and interesting secrets using both the flight and FPS components. Discover the secrets of the ancient Hadesians, locate valuable components and cargo… or go down in history the first to make contact an entirely new alien race!

In addition, we are unlocking a new $23 million goal: the addition of a Xi’an Scout as a playable asset in the game. We’ve recently begun putting together concept art of Xi’an worlds, which got us thinking about the game’s Xi’an ships: how can we make them play differently than the standard human ships? We have a few ideas and with this stretch goal we can put them into the game! In addition to alien designs and interfaces, the Xi’an craft will feature a totally different maneuvering system.

Xi’an ship design will be focused on a vertical aesthetic and maneuvering jets that can combine to thrust in multiple directions. Gimbaled, larger-than-normal thrusters sit on the four points of a star in the centerline, allowing each thruster unobstructed hemispherical coverage. The Xi’an scout can rotate on all axes and direct four thrusters to the rear or front! Because of this configuration the Xi’an ship has superb linear maneuvering abilities on all axes. This extra maneuverability comes at a cost however. Xi’an ships favor maneuverability over heavy armament or defensive protection.

Instead of picking up an alien ship that simply looks different, it will feel different!

Here’s the description:

• Xi’an Scout Unlocked! The Khartu is the light attack craft of the Xi’An military. Contrary to Human ship design, the Khartu doesn’t have a traditional main thruster, instead featuring an array of maneuvering thrusters on articulated rigs. This design allows for incredible agility, making them the bane of UEE pilots, who bestowed the nickname ‘Quark’ because when all of the thrusters are firing, the ship looks like a spark flying through space. The Xi’an Aopoa corporation also manufactures an export model, the Khartu-al, for sale to human civilians as a dedicated scout/explorer. The export model features the same Xi’an maneuvering rig, but control surfaces modified for human use and a more limited armament. (Designer: Aopoa)

Players can travel to a Xi’an commerce world to pick up the export version of the Khartu… or they can track down the military version in less-than-legal ways! Either way, we think that adding truly alien Xi’an ships at launch will create an even more immersive universe.

As always, thank you all for your tremendous support. Please continue to spread the word about Star Citizen. You’re making this all possible! I hope you will join me on Thursday for our anniversary livestream, where you’ll see some of the latest and greatest work we’ve done to date and get a sneak preview of what’s coming soon.

- Chris Roberts

Salvage mechanic sound like it's going to be a good one.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Big long video celebrating the first birthday of Star Citizen.

More interesting news is the contest to design a new star ship for the game https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13315-The-Next-Great-Starship with a $30K grand prize plus extras.

• GRAND PRIZE: $30,000 in cash for the team members. Your Great Starship is included in Star Citizen and each member of your team receives the first production models off the press!  As well as Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Maya Premium and one high-end AMD based system with Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
  • SECOND PLACE: $10,000 in cash for the team members. Alienware laptop, Autodesk Maya 2014, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
  • THIRD PLACE: $5,000 in cash for the team members. Autodesk Maya LT, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
  • SPECIALTY PRIZE: (to the most valuable player out of the remaining contestants among the final three teams voted on by the judging panel): One Cintiq Companion, the new Windows 8 “Make the World your Studio” tablet from Wacom
  • FINALIST TEAMS 4 THROUGH 16: $250 in RSI Credits (non-transferable/non-refundable)

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

<chortles> What's with the display of cleavage? Is that what they call marketing?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

That's a real nice way to give some prizes to their community members. Best of luck to those guys.

It's the first thing that crossed my mind too Cody 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

<chortles> What's with the display of cleavage? Is that what they call marketing?

😆 Soon to be a Star Citizen goal.

Was just looking through the terms of the contest, shame that it not more open as it will exclude a lot from doing it.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Oh yes, just saw that myself. Indeed it's a pity the regulations are so strict, especially "mastering the cryengine" and the fact that it has to be a team. I actually was thinking last night of a design for the weapon but now in light of the new info, guess I'm out.

Back to doing my stuff now.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I am sorry to hear that Sol Command. I would have loved to see one of your ships (and other assets) in the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

They should run a competition open to any one who wants to just draw or use a 3D program maybe with just some in game prizes.

According to IncGamers http://www.incgamers.com/2013/10/cloud-imperium-manchester-opening-work-star-citizen Manchester in Britain is getting a studio to work on the single player bits.

One of the big announcements was the formation of a new Cloud Imperium development studio which is opening here in the UK in Manchester. The new studios is being tasked with creating the single player element of Star Citizen and will be lead by Erin Roberts, Chris Roberts’ brother.

Can't help but think it would have been better to keep it all in one place and not going opening expensive side ventures.

ReplyQuote
Elanoides
(@elanoides)
Petty Officer Registered

AnythingFPS certainly does some nice videos

I wish my hangar looked like the hangar in the videos ...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I wish my hangar looked like the hangar in the videos ...

Me too.

Surprise surprise, Star Citizen passes the $22 million mark https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13317-22-Million-And-Hangar-Patch-Live

At $22 million, you’ve unlocked the following goal:

• Facial Capture System. We’ve researched a technology that uses a series of cameras to capture real heads and import them into the game. This will let the team more easily create a variety of realistic characters. In addition, the technology is mobile enough to allow us to take it on the road and capture select fans during special events! You can learn more about this technology at Infinite-Realities.

Cargo_a.jpg

We’re very excited about how this is going to improve the game (and our artists are eager to start playing with this technology!) I’m also pleased to announce our $24 million goal:

• Public Transportation System – Need to get from one place to another but don’t have a starship? We’re building a galactic transportation system. You can travel via transport from system to system in Star Citizen and even ship items (like a ship you need move to another hangar.) With this stretch goal, we’ll expand this system: star liners, long range transports, charter ships and flyable shuttles!

In addition to this immersion-enhancing design upgrade, we’re also going to dedicate some of the additional funding to making next year’s CitizenCon a bigger event! Thank you for making this all possible. Keep spreading the word!

- Chris Roberts

Public transport megatraveller 2 had that in 20 odd years ago.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes and Megatraveller's devs did it for a wee bit less than $24 million

BTW, I didn't know the Avenger had such a big cargo hold! Looks almost like a Lancer in it's capacity.

ReplyQuote
DiabloTigerSix
(@diablotigersix)
Master Chief Registered

Surprise surprise, Star Citizen passes the $22 million mark

I really don't understand where this second "wave of momentum" came from.
Also, I think people buying all these ships are just spoiling the game for themselves in the long run. If working towards them in the game is as interesting as CIG claim, they're depriving themselves of quite a ride.
Thirdly, as far as the financial side of things for CIG is concerned, there is a potential problem of "false whales", as they call it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Same here but it has to be remembered that It's is a well oiled machine, SC generates a lot of self publicity for the game and with 276 thousand backers for the game they have large audiance willing to part with the money.

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 18