Notifications
Clear all

Player Status System

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Not sure what I think about all this extra content....? I like the fact that more immersion is being added for more realism, but in another hand RIS is increasing the development time even longer. I just originally wanted what they promised in the kickstarter back in 2012 😉 

This game will be great when it finally hits, but I still haven't spent more than 1-2hrs in this game the past 8yrs. I want a released product, its okay to continue to add features, but get the core game done and then add features as the years go by.... like what Hello Games is doing with NMS.

D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

I want a released product

Thinking of the amount of money they have already received while developing the game I'm really wondering what they would get with a release. I mean that their product has already been sold, at least partially. So with that uncertainty on their final revenues it might make sense for them to extend the development phase as long as their crowdfunding system keeps them afloat I guess.

This post was modified 4 years ago by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Don't think we will ever see a release for this as it been about 8 years now, don't know how many times they have restarted this game because they have decided to add some feature which the old game engine could not support.

Amazing how they still getting the money we think most people would have given it a miss by now.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @d-c-elington

Thinking of the amount of money they have already received while developing the game I'm really wondering what they would get with a release.

<nods> Yeah, CR's machine is rolling along quite nicely as it is!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @pinback

Don't think we will ever see a release for this as it been about 8 years now, don't know how many times they have restarted this game because they have decided to add some feature which the old game engine could not support.

Amazing how they still getting the money we think most people would have given it a miss by now

I really think this qualifies as vaporware at this point, why release when the cash flow is established? I've given up on this, if it happens , great, if not...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

After I thought about your comment @d-c-elington I think your right... most of the people that wanted to play this game have purchased it already. So the only income they are going to get from this point on is building all this extra fluff. They have stated many times this wasn't coming to consoles because only PC's can run this game at decent framerates (for now).

This isn't really a game yet until the fully persistent universe is up and running and there isn't any rollbacks or progression loss.

when you read over the roadmap there is definitely some good things coming: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

But when you read over some of these your like .... WTF!!!!  They are constantly making the game more complex and bigger in scale when you already have scale and performance issues. To be honest, they need to really concentrate on network and gameplay performance. I will admit I haven't loaded this game up in over a year to check its status on how it plays. But last time I played with my Vega64 it was choppy in places and I was just running around and doing hanger stuff and I flew a mission for a few mins.

I am a fan, I am just disappointed that something I have been wanting to play for years now still isn't even close to being done. I thought Chris Roberts was going to progress faster than this. I mean Squadron 42 is still over a year off and that is only for the first part (its a episodic game)...

I watch what some indie devs are putting out with barely a budget and yeah it doesn't have the amazing modeling that we see in Star Citizen but fancy ships are not everything. Give us something to play, give us freedom and give us consequences system and you will have the game you promised 8yrs ago 🙂

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

@sscadmin I'm afraid I don't know what Roberts' executive role was for the games he is famous for. I mean maybe he was constantly kept on track by a project manager / producer at that time? For his defense this is a much larger project and a huge team, both of them surely very difficult to manage. That said if two years ago he had really wanted the "product done" a staff meeting with him yelling at everybody and declaring the game "feature complete" would have done the job I think. These people are obviously talented, so what's happening must be at least partly intentional IMHO.

This post was modified 4 years ago by D.C.Elington

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Oh agreed, I think RSI really wants to make the best space game ever. Which I hope they accomplish it. But they could go about it a different way. They actually have two decent sized teams one one SC and the other on SQ42, you know they are sharing code/assets between the games.

I guess I am just expressing my frustration because I wanted the space version that was pitched back in 2012. Once planetside exploration and planet activities were added as features this is almost another whole game in itself.... then addition of FPS combat is also another style of game mechanics. I just wanted the space piece and then they could have expanded that 🙂

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

RSI - repetitive strain injury. It kinda fits! <sniggers>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@sscadmin

Well, they recently took a step toward space exploration with the release of the Anvil Carrack. It's quite a ship!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I watched a lot of this video and I will admit all their ship designs are just great.... but how will my system and servers respond when there is 25+ in a small area at once? The sheer scale of these ships are amazing but you know just getting smooth framerates with one ship is difficult when doing simple tasks, now try to get many ships in a sector or around a space station doing things or a dogfight..... I doubt highly it will be playable. They may need to look into how Infinity Battlescape is doing their large scale ship battles. 

But time will tell, I believe RSI is supposed to have some server persistence and better server meshing coming out this year. I really do want to play this game, just every time I try it feels choppy with the gameplay and after 8yrs you would think it would run a bit more smooth. Yeah it could be my system but I do have a 8core CPU, 16GB mem and water cooled vega64, so it should run decent atleast 30fps without issue. Maybe they have issues with AMD gfx, but I haven't tried in over a year to play 🙂 

ReplyQuote