Squadron 42; Behind the scenes with Gillian Anderson

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I wonder if this game will reinvigorate the space combat genre.

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

I wonder if this game will reinvigorate the space combat genre.

Or sink it completely for another decade if it fails.

There has been a lot of kerfuffle about it and other major (or even minor) developers and publishers might think that there isn't a market for it however much money you pour into it. Or how big you talk about it or hype it up because consumers will be wary and watch out for another "Star Citizen".

I'm conflicted myself.

I want it to succeed so that it can inspire another Freelancer 2.0, but I also don't want it too succeed because it restricts players to only be able to play in cockpit view.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Let me clarify my above statement.

I think the open sandbox style of space sim has pretty much established itself again, it's the story driven linear and level base space combat games of which classic example are the Wing Commander series, X Wing and FreeSpace which have failed to make any sort of come back. Granted  their are a couple games in development and a few others have been released  but they all stick to the 1990s template, now the question is will Squadron 42 change that or will it just be another rehash of the 1990s games with better graphics?. 

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

Let me clarify my above statement.

I think the open sandbox style of space sim has pretty much established itself again, it's the story driven linear and level base space combat games of which classic example are the Wing Commander series, X Wing and FreeSpace which have failed to make any sort of come back. Granted  their are a couple games in development and a few others have been released  but they all stick to the 1990s template, now the question is will Squadron 42 change that or will it just be another rehash of the 1990s games with better graphics?. 

Ah, more Tachyon - The Fringe and not Freelancer. Not easy to keep Star Citizen and Squadron 42 (and more?) separate.

Now that you mention it, I can't really recall any modern takes on the rail space-shooter.

It too deserves a modern take on it. I hope Squadron 42 is everything you wish or more. ,)

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I think as long as squadron 42 provides a great branching story that is entertaining and where you get attached to characters I think people will love it. I don't always remember the combat aspects of the WC games I remember the characters and plot. So if they do a good job it will be a nice tie-in to Star Citizen. Which unless it has changed your actions/decisions in Squadron 42 is supposed to follow you into SC?

ReplyQuote
LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered

I think as long as squadron 42 provides a great branching story that is entertaining and where you get attached to characters I think people will love it. I don't always remember the combat aspects of the WC games I remember the characters and plot. So if they do a good job it will be a nice tie-in to Star Citizen. Which unless it has changed your actions/decisions in Squadron 42 is supposed to follow you into SC?

I agree. I think the X-Wing/Tie and Freespace games were superior to the WCs in terms of gameplay (things like more complex mission structures, better established ship roles and loadouts, etc) but the WC games were always awesome stories/cinematic experiences and the ship-to-ship combat was always solid enough to keep you engaged. 

And yea, at last word the idea is that Squadron 42 is a prequel to the PU of Star Citizen, so its like a long "flashback" of what you did "during the war" as it were. Depending on the choices you make ("made") it will unlock/change things in the "present". 

Also... mocap suit not withstanding...  Good God that woman has aged well.  

ReplyQuote