Notifications
Clear all

Install question

XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have just bought the PC DVD of SG2, nice Artbook, nice Galaxy Chart, but I have install problems:

Looking at the DVD, it seems that the files are on it in order to install the game, or is this not the case? I see some huge files for about 3-4 GB.

Whatsoever: I have a Steam account, I click the setup.exe, but Steam wants to download a 7.5 GB file, which at my guess will last 5-6 days...

I have then deleted the "Local Content" for the game on Steam and entered this in the Windows Execute:

C:program files (x86)...Steam.exe -install E: ,

then I get a error message saying Connection Timeout or similar.

Can the game be installed from DVD?

Thanks to respond,

XenonS

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Steam downloaded less than a GB when I installed the game from disk and as far as I recall their only been 3 updates to the game since I installed it and IIRC all under the 50MB size with the last one being today which was only 19MB.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

Hi Pinback,

thanks for these details. Currently I only have internet connection via USB stick, that's the reason for my extreme low connection speed (also volume limits). Will have to be at home and try again.

Whish you all the good for 2015 and merry

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Roflord
(@roflord)
Crewman Registered

You could try installing as you normally would without steam, then copying the files over to the original location as if it was a steam installation, then trying to install from steam and hope it finds the files before attempting a full redownload

Best of luck

Edit: I just read through the original post a bit more thoroughly, I feel kinda dumb, will look around for some more info anyway (didn't find much except the same command you entered, perhaps you can try sandboxing the install and see what happens)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I always make sure I am connected to the internet and log into my Steam app before installing a game from disk, then start the install on the disk which will then stop and ask for the Steam code to be entered, then it will proceeds to install the game from the disk. Then it will go on to preparing the game which will involve downloading the updates before letting you play the game.

Happy Christmas. 

Come to think of it you may have activated the Steam code as you would for a download only game?.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

Yes, I didn't mention that, I have first chosen "Add Game" and then I had to enter the activation code of my DVD before the Steam download started.

The procedure I mentioned in my first post above (with the Windows execute command), I have found that in the support help pages of Steam, but they say:

"Note: This process is only intended for retail store bought copies of Steam games (ie. Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare 2). It will not work for backup discs of any Steam games"...

So, I^m not sure where I am here, I have a PC DVD bought in a store in Europe.

I have de-installed and re-installed Steam to get past some possible errors, now when starting Steam it wants first to update itself a 128.140 KB file,  but because of my stupid low speed with the internet USB stick, this will actually take very long: I see the progress bar going slowly up from 60-120.200...800.. At some point it will stop with the message "Steam needs to be online to update...Please confirm connection." I think I  really have to wait to be at home again where I have a high speed connection.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

Pinback,

now I understand your last comment, sorry I'm slow today 🙂

Maybe I shoudn't have entered that code, because I didn't want to download the whole game. Strange, though that this code did work...

XenonS

[ADD]

I will drop all this to Steam Support. Thank you all for your suggestions.

ReplyQuote