Notifications
Clear all

Starpoint Gemini 3

Page 2 / 5

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

No worries.

Just to clarify, When you say the WASD method, do you mean tapping the "w" will increase the ships speed and the S key will slow the ship down.

Or are you referring to the Everspace flight model, where the "w" has to be kept pressed down to move the ship forward.

ReplyQuote
LGM_Games
(@lgm_games)
Petty Officer Registered

The key has to be kept pressed for the ship to move in that direction. For example, holding the W will move it forward and S will move it backward.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. 🙂

I'm not a fan of that control method, granted it works well in Everspace, but that game is not an open world game and is level based with a very small play area.

So in less you intension is do something similar to Everspace game design you may want to think about the control of ship some more.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I would have to agree on this feature, a throttle is important especially for immersion in combat. Having just 0 and 100 percent as the thrust options are not really a good mechanic personally. And if your always pressing up to move you are limiting the actions a player can do and still continue to fly or pursue their target.

Generally if a developer supports flightsticks in a game the flightstick has the ability to use a throttle. So why not allow the gamer using keyboard/mouse or gamepad the same ability?

Most 1st/3rd person space combat games do have this options and I think you would get some complaints about this control scheme choice. You could make it a non-default option.

Just some thoughts 🙂

ReplyQuote
LGM_Games
(@lgm_games)
Petty Officer Registered

The ship doesn't go from 0 to 100 with just holding W. There will be a boost that recharges over time, which I seem to have forgotten to mention.

There will also be a cruise feature with which you will get a high speed, but your weapons will be disabled. Something similar as a reference can be cruising in Freelancer or sublight in SPGW (but much faster).

There were some issues with movement in SPGW, feeling clunky from times to times. While that control scheme worked to some degree in that game seeing the size of ships players controlled, it doesn't quite work in SPG3. Controlling your ship in SPG3 feels smoother than in previous games and more "natural" to this kind of game.

We plan to go in more details about the controls in an upcoming video or dev diary so stay tuned for that. 🙂

Thanks for your feedback, guys! We really appreciate it. I will forward it to the rest of the team. 🙂

ReplyQuote
LGM_Games
(@lgm_games)
Petty Officer Registered

Hey guys!

Just wanted to share our newest dev diary with you! In this one we talk more about characters you'll meet in the game.

The first thing we always get asked is - are there any aliens? To this we can say - yes, there are aliens! Couple of races, in fact. Some will want to take you out on sight, some would rather just have a drink with you. Either way, all of them have a story to tell!

To implement those characters, our proprietary engine WhaleX needed some adjustments. It took us some time to implement the changes, but it was well worth it after we saw our first character come to life! 🙂

Check out our full development diary on the link below. Don't hesitate to ask us any questions you might have! 🙂

https://steamcommunity.com/games/977720/announcements/detail/1626272888474085094

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice, will any of the aliens feature a language which can not be understood by the player. Until they get hold of a translator, would make a good mission quest.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Ah that would be cool little feature to add in Pinback.

LGM... the alien character models look great (especially that first one). Will they be animated, in that you could see them walking around or performing actions or will you only see statics of them talking and interacting with you?

ReplyQuote
LGM_Games
(@lgm_games)
Petty Officer Registered

Alien races have their languages, but Bold (and thus the player) has the translator on him which lets him understand them in his language. Something like in Star Trek. I like your idea, though, and will forward it to the rest of the team to see what they think of it as well. 🙂

Thanks! Our art department is really good and we get amazed with their creations every day!

You will be able to interact with aliens and take quests from some of them. They will be animated. Some NPCs in the background you can't interact with will walk around and do some stuff, while others may just stand or sit. We are trying to make a sense of an alive world and we knew that animated characters would have to be added to achieve that. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

About time we had a new video 🙂 see what they have been upto.

Was looking at the Steam forums and was wondering if they going for a more sandbox/open world combat game like Tachyon, rather than the more traditional Elite type clone.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Nice little interview I came across, its quick but gives you some context

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Wonder if they are still going for a release this year.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I hope they don't rush it, but you would think if SPG3 was going to release this year that the media campaign would be starting up and we would see more videos and info about the game. Maybe they are checking out Rebel Galaxy Outlaw to see how that is doing and plays and watching reviews on it 😉 Because I would say that would be their direct competition.

ReplyQuote
LGM_Games
(@lgm_games)
Petty Officer Registered

Hey guys! Sorry for being so quiet lately. We've been hard at work with this game and have implemented some neat things, but there's also more stuff to be done as well.

Right now we are showing our game on Gamescom in Germany, but more stuff should come online in the upcoming weeks. I'll keep you posted as more info comes. 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

SPG3 goes early access on Steam on Sept. 5th 🙂 unless SPG3 is further along than I expect it looks like it will release next year as I suspected. Personally, take your time get it right and your loyal customers will love you for it.

Congrats LGM for the milestone!

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

SPG3 goes early access on Steam on Sept. 5th 🙂 unless SPG3 is further along than I expect it looks like it will release next year as I suspected.

I think that I will brake my rule of not buying EA games, until they are complete!! Besides I still haven't found time to play SPG2!!!!!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

🙂 I have that same rule CaptianKal especially with being burned a few times on some unfinished games.

I too have to finish playing SPG2 as well, I would start from scratch again and maybe play the SPG1 story arc too because I believe that was also added to SPG2 as well since its been a while. But LGM has proven themselves to be trustworthy so I think your money will be ok if you get in on early access.

Definitely can't wait to see the flight mechanics and what we can truly do in the game world, the more immersion the better. So let our choices or in action in game matter.

ReplyQuote
LGM_Games
(@lgm_games)
Petty Officer Registered

Thanks for the support, Captains! 🙂

We've decided to go with Early Access again as we had great experiences with it with our previous games. We love to have our community involved with the development as we think that can help us make better games that both our community and we will love. The Early Access will most likely last between 6 and 12 months and the community will have a large part of how the game shapes up.

You are right about SPG 1 story being added in SPG 2, sscadmin. It is added with a free DLC called "Origins". 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Good to see the SPG franchise marching on. Still have my boxed copy of SPG1 and still love that game. A quick question tho.

With the demise of Windows 7 next year I am likely to switch over to a Linux desktop as I hate Windows 10. I guess proper Linux ports of the SPG games is too much to ask for but could you guys maybe test out your near finished build on Wine, the emulator for windows games on Linux, to make it as Linux friendly as a Windows based application can be?

If you would consider such a thing, and as a suggestion for what Linux distros to try it on, maybe stick to popular ones like Manjaro, Mint and Ubuntu as I think there will be a rise next year in the general interest shown to Linux.

Both Steam and GOG have even started to have Linux versions of some games available. Steam of course have their propitiatory launcher, Steam Play, for Linux already and Proton also allows multi platform gaming. Anyways, just a thought and good luck with SPG3. 🙂

ReplyQuote
LGM_Games
(@lgm_games)
Petty Officer Registered

We'd love to have support for Linux, but we can't promise that we'll have a Linux build or support it directly. I'm sure there will be guys in the office playing around with SPG 3 and Linux, but that's still something for the future. If we make it work, we'll post it on our social media for sure.

Thank you for the support! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Great news and I will be buying on the 5th.

Lets hope they got the radar colours right this time.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

That's fair enough. If you guys are willing to try don't forget the various Linux communities out there who would be happy to help out with advice like the creation of "Wine Bottles", basically a configuration script for Wine to read so that it can set itself up to run your game. Of course there is never guarantees when it comes to running any game under emulation as some fair better than others. I will keep my fingers crossed though. 😉

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

A lot of info in this video so pay attention 😉

Buy Starpoint Gemini 3 - Early Adopter Bundle

For a limited time, buy Starpoint Gemini 3 and receive a copy of Starpoint Gemini 2 for free! If you already own Starpoint Gemini 2, receive an extra copy to gift to a friend.

The early adopter option is $17.99 on Steam, will be purchasing this when I get home 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice and they have finally released the price of the game £15.49, $19.99 and 16.79 Euros. https://steamcommunity.com/app/977720/discussions/0/1633040337747419267/
And as D1 noted it's has 10 percent off until the 12th on the standard price.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Its also on GOG for £13.99. Ok, since I never got around to getting SPG2...might as well grab it. Keeping my fingers crossed I can get it to run under Wine in Linux.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5