Notifications
Clear all

Starpoint Gemini 3

Page 3 / 5

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Of course this means I will have to play through SPG1 again to familiarise myself again with the Gemini Sector but I can do that via SPG2 Origins! Yaay! I can keep my original first release SPG1 disks nice and safe. Oh, and the GOG version has both the other DLCs (Titans and Secrets of Aethera) for SPG2 included too. Nice deal LGM! o7

ReplyQuote
Blah64
(@blah64)
Senior Chief Registered

oof, this is much more 'Early Access' than I was expecting.
I guess I joined Warlords much later in development because I thought that was still very solid when in Early Access.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Just bought the game and it looks like their a problem for Window 7 users at the moment. their was a post about on the Steam forums but I can't find it now. they have changed the specs to "WINDOWS 7 AT THIS MOMENT NOT OFFICIALY SUPPORTED!" while they work on a fix for this.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I will need to test this Pinback as I've been having too much fun in SPG2 Origins; what a difference from the original SPG1 ! I was going to wait for a bit before diving into SPG3. Don't know if this will effect the GOG version too but GOG are still showing it's Win 7 compatible. As a suggestion, make sure any Visual Studio runtimes have installed correctly. I know when I installed SPG2 the GOG version certainly added some runtimes to my system. Steam versions of some games I've tried in the past sometimes don't I've found. If that is the case here, look in the games directory and see if you can find any executables.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

It's not an issue for me Geraldine as I'm using windows 10, they now have a thread pinned about it here https://steamcommunity.com/app/977720/discussions/0/1633040337748489936/ for anyone having an issue with it.

Had a quick look on the GOG forum and can't see anyone asking about it.

Nearly got it download yesterday but left about 2GB until today ,only to find that their was an update yesterday and Steam reset the download https://steamcommunity.com/app/977720/allnews/ hope this is not going to happen every time they do a new patch.

I had forgotten that you can play the first game using the second game, must download that as I don't appear to have it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just some quick thoughts based on the two hour story.

I like Captain Bold reminds me of Zapp Brannigan from futurama, although his character looks nothing like how you would imagine he looks.

First off the control, holding the "W" down to go forward is just annoying and I guess this has been done because of Adah bits in first person mode. May a double tap of the "W" would be better as in half power then full power.

I think the small round circle is a target reticle inside the bigger ship target circle, if it is then it needs to be a different colour as it hard to see.

Game could use a match current target speed key.

Adah 3d bits, should have been in full 3d, then the derelicts could have been in zero G which the levels being upside down or vertical, also should have been a hacking mini game maybe in the form of a circuit would need to be connected and powered, also it should be in the dark. The bit on the station could have adah equipped with a stunner for the guards and accessing control panels to create a distraction .

Hope the star chart is going to be upgraded, looks terrible at the moment, also it would nice to be able to access in game instead of going to the menu.

Needs a visual clue as to when you are in range of the dock as in lights flashing or an icon appearing.

When in the dry dock it not clear what the player has fitted to the ship.

Anyhow great start to the game and looking forward to see where this goes.

Going to do a copy and past on the Steam forum.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I will be the negative guy in the room for these comments.... But do be aware Win7 is over 10yrs old now and is due to be depricated by Microsoft in 4 mons, so a lot of developers are going to not make that OS a priority very soon. I know Win10 is bloated but generally it is trouble free, I have been using it for years now.

Try not to punish devs too hard, I am sure LGM will respond soon about their solution or commitment to Win7. I am fully aware there is a huge portion of the gaming community still using Win7. But with all the latest innovation in graphics libraries, memory and cpu cores. Developers are really starting to utilize these game changing technologies and unfortunately soon if we want to enjoy newer games we may need to upgrade 😉

Ok now you can hate on me a little .... not too much or I will float you in the airlock 🙂 hahaha

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Bought it on GoG. And I am sure that I will be able to play it, around 2030!!!!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I don't hate you D1. I agree it's time for Win 7 to end it's days. Yes, I am still on Win 7 but I am jumping over to Linux because I think it's simply a better more efficient OS for me than Win 10.

I could install Win 10 then spend time fixing it, like I did before, but why bother? Bit by bit I am getting better at getting Windows apps to run under Linux. I also think Linux is the future, even Microsoft themselves have created a Linux kernal of their own. So it seems they agree also. 😉

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I like Linux as well I just haven't been brave enough to make the switch because I thought the majority of my steam library wouldn't work in Linux or in a windows emulation in Linux. So I just stick with windows until someone can tell me that either native support is more widely being done or emulation is pretty good and most if not all games can run.

I do hope more developers support Linux in the long run because at some point I would like to switch myself. So maybe LGM might surprise you Geraldine with some instructions to get it running on Linux 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

That would be great if they did D1, guess I will wait and see.
As for the switching to Linux, I too had the same fears but a friend of mine was throwing out an old Idea pad that had Win 10 installed on it. It only has integrated Intel graphics and a little Atom CPU. It was pretty much useless running Win 10 with the processor and it's 2 gigs of ram maxing out all the time. It's just a modest wee machine, but installing Linux on it changed all that. It became useful again. I've even installed some games on it, do my work on it. Basically I've used it as a means to learn Linux until I switch over my main PC in the new year.
So my advice to you is, if you have an old laptop laying around you don't use anymore, try a Linux distro on it. Linux Mint XFCE is a good place to start as it isn't resource hungry but there are plenty of others out there. What you got to lose?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Had a play around in the freeroam and have found that only assassination missions are o offer at the moment. and although they say that they are rated as easy, I found then impossible to complete. As you just swamped by enemy ships, I hope the tone down the AI in the next patch.

Just checked Steam and they put out a fix which address that issues https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=977720 going off to try it now.
Also I read that they hope to out of early access in 6-12 months

Just a quick edit to this post I have found that their are a number of different missions types on offer from the barman but not sure if they are random or sequential.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I guess it will take time to balance the AI or maybe the player's weapons and/or shield strengths?

I have another question for LGM, will the GOG version get regular updates? I ask because generally GOG releases tend to lag sometimes behind builds on Steam.

Still having a blast in SPG Origins! 😀

ReplyQuote
LGM_Games
(@lgm_games)
Petty Officer Registered

Hey there! Sorry for being a bit inactive here. I wanted to reply to some of your comments. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback, Pinback! We saw it on Steam as well and your suggestions will be very useful when updating this game further. 🙂

We are hoping for the Windows 7 fix this week. We have guys working on it as we speak!

The AI and items will be balanced with upcoming patches. With the state of the game right now, it's easier to push frequent updates and patches so there's plenty to look forward to!

If you haven't already, take a look at our roadmap to know what is coming to the game in the upcoming months: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/781860008169797765/FC66B749CD36EE6E0A7F0B3374EC01A0A070F28B/

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

That's very useful, thank you.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New update to the game came out yesterday https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=977720
Anyone know if they have the cockpit view enabled yet, seen some one mention it on the Steam forum but I don't know how to change views.

Edit found it, press the tab key to change between cockpit and 3rd person views. For some reason they have called it "camera mode"?.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Purchased SPG3 this morning, not sure when I will get too it to be honest 🙂 I usually don't play early access games but I will definitely be following the development closely and I also needed to sit down and replay SPG1 +SPG2 all the way to the end again before I play SPG3.

Great job on all the feedback and updates on Steam its truly appreciated 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another update and good news for window 7 users as they say the game is now working with it https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=977720
Have you got it running yet Geraldine.

Looks like they are going to be dropping some more content and the leading target reticle has been fixed, nice one.

Has anybody used the Armageddon missile as its well named, it will waste 3 low level ships with just one missile.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Spent a few hours in the freeroam mode of the game and I tend to find the constant switching between the game's menu to be breaking the game's immersion. would have been much better to have use the function keys to get to the inventory, journal, skills and star chart. or if not possible did you consider using a radial menu brought up by the space bar.

On the star chart can we have the nav buoy routes colour coded, then in game the buoys could flash the colour of the route, at the moment if you have 3 or 4 of them around a structure it is hard to tell which one go where, without constant switching back to the map.

Can we have a change missile noise. to tell you when the missile has changed.

In the inventory sub screens it not very clear what guns can be fitted to which hard points or what equipment is fitted, maybe some sort of interactive ship schematic could be added their.

Great job on getting these patch out guys and looking forward to seeing some more content for the game.

I will repost this on Steam.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Still not had a chance to install it yet Pinback, working all weekend, but will try Sunday evening if I can find the time.

Good points there too you made. Hopefully that feedback will help LGM. I recall reading that they were always updating SPG2 when that first came out. This is exactly what folks like to see; the devs being responsive to feedback. I would think that with SPG3, they will be the same and I further hope it pays off for them. Hard working devs deserve our support!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Look like we may see some hot keys for the map etc in the next update, even if it does not make it in the next update, they are thinking about it. I know the tabbing back and forth between the game and menu is getting old for me, but you have to expect that early access games.

Sofar the worst part of the game is ADAH first person bits and again they say they are having a rethink about these bits after having received a number of suggestions.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Been a bit chatter about HOTAS on the Steam forum, so I thought I would dig out my Saitek X52 and see if it still worked, while we wait for the next update. Amazingly it still does although the rubber grip have gone sticky.

The game supports this and few other types of sticks I found it a bit floaty and as yet the key binding not working right, although it maybe fixed in the next update.

One thing I find annoying is that you have a variable throttle with the flight stick but you are stuck with holding down the "w" key with the keyboard/mouse controls. hope they change this soon.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

It shouldn't be that difficult to make W and S keys into a throttle, having to constantly press a throttle takes away from other functions you have to do during combat.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Has been suggested that they use the mouse wheel and I just noticed that Space Bourn has done this, so LGM should be able to it.

Some one back in the 90s jokingly said that a space sim was just a Doom clone without any walls. So it's really ironic that devs are now trying to push this FPS control system onto these games.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

short message from LGM about what they have been doing although no date given for the next update https://store.steampowered.com/app/977720/Starpoint_Gemini_3/
/p>

Greetings fellow earthlings!

In case you were wondering, nope, we haven't dropped dead after Early Access release run, nor have we been abducted by you-know-who sporting big black eyes and the skin tan of a full ashtray. We’re still here, live ‘n kickin’, firing missiles, mowing down enemy fighters… as people usually do. Today however, we wanted to share some details on what we’ve been up to lately.

If you've looked at our planned roadmap, the next big milestone, appropriately named Skillshot, and everything for that oh-jolly-what-a-most-festive occasion is still going according to plan. In our internal version we're already very „skilled“, our missiles are as blind as bats (we might tweak that a bit…) and critical failures plague our ship.

We're preparing lots of goodies for this upcoming update: dumbfire missiles, CSF mechanics, entire skill system, new ship modules, new equipment... and a big bundle of Tough love bug-spray for all the bugs you guys reported!

Thank you for providing all the awesome feedback! The upcoming update will be better thanks to you! And that one is just the first of many.

See you with the new update in a little while. In the meantime, I made a bet I can make a mid-flight precise strike against a small moving enemy fighter using only an unguided capital ship busting torpedo, so I really should get back to that…

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5