Greetings, Just have a couple of queries in regards to the mods available for Starshatter. Namely, is there any difference between these two mods since they share the same name 'Starblazers' except for one being a rar file and the other a zip file.
Will be posting some more queries, so hope you don't mind as I explore more stuff.
This I wouldn't know, the person that mass uploaded these mods didn't really label or describe them and unfortunately I haven't had the time or the will to try them all out to verify and weed out the broken or useless mods for Starshatter, but if you happen to I will gladly post your findings and or re-upload mod packages. Any help on files in the file area is welcomed. I have put in a bit of work adding descriptions and screenshots and things like for most games/files.
So good luck 🙂
I haven't tested those two mods yet, but one of them contains both modinfo.DEF and starblazers.dat file with it's modification date as 20/12/2011 whereas the other just contains only the dat file and the date for this is 11/12/2011. Also Am I supposed to put the def file in the mods folder too?
Couple of questions..
1. Is there a widescreen mod or a patch cause I tried changing the resolution in the video.cfg file and also making the file to 'read only' so it won't reset back but unfortunately the resolution still goes back, and it's getting a little bit annoying seeing the black bars on both sides. If there aren't any such options, then I'll play it as it is.
2. What's the function of the max texture size option? and are there any visual differences when you increase it to 4096 x 4096 cause there must be something wrong with my eyes since I wasn't able to notice any difference when I changed it from 2048 x 2048.
3. Are there any mods other than the 'Reborn effects mod' which changes galaxies and stars. The reason I'm inquiring about this is because I got spoiled seeing the nebulae during my time in Homeworld 2 and it was breathtaking.
4. Is there a cockpit & HUD mod?
Hope you don't mind my flurry of questions.
1. The only way I know to use widescreen is to run the game in windowed mode. To do that you need to edit the shortcut to the game and add " -win" in the target slot. I use this to launch the game: " c:starshatterstarshatter.exe -win -nosplash " for example.
2. The option change texture size (doh!) but vanilla game uses mostly 1024x1024 textures, with just a few being 2048x2048, like planet textures. All ships use 1024 or less , so setting any option above 2048 will have no effect. If a mod uses high res textures like 4096, the game can use that.
3. Cant remember, I think not. The Battlestar Galactica (old series) did have new backgrounds and an edited galaxy map to make it like in the TV show If I remember correctly.
4. Havent seen any except for a capital ship bridge cockpit somewere, and custom cockpits for mods. But none for vanilla.
I just tried the window mode, enlarging it did make it widescreen except for the visible starshatter header bar at the top. Ignoring that, just started a mission and as soon as I change to mouse control..the fighter starts spinning uncontrollably until I revert back to keyboard control. So I tried it again this time without the windows mode and everything's fine especially when I changed to mouse control. Guess I'm out of luck for playing it in widescreen.
Any mods you would recommend especially ones that contain custom cockpits?. My search only yielded these two..
http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files/file/704-virtualcockpithudmfdsrar/ (Don't know if this is for the vanilla game or a part of the mod tools since this was in the utilities section)
And there's a file called HRStarfield which could stand for high resolution starfield, so will be checking this. Btw, do I have to put the modinfo.DEF file in the mods folder?
Thanks for the reply though 🙂
Edit: Alright just checked both the virtualcockpit and cockpit files. These are for mod tools.
Lucky you, I never managed to make the mouse work even in non window mode.
Modinfo.def has the info that is displayed when choosing the mod in-game, name, info text, logo etc. It should be included inside the .Dat file of the mod. If it isnt putting the modinfo file in the mods folder maybe should do anyway but havent tested. One way or another its not required to make the mod work properly.
If you havent already, I recommend trying out Adonnays fleet mod. It has a total replacement of ships and is cool and well made. SOL mod is also good and it fully integrates with vanilla game.
Of course im going to refrain from mentioning *cough* *cough* my mod *cough* *cough*. Oh well, I just did.
Did you try disabling the joystick support in the options? I do remember a person being given that advice and he was finally able to play with the mouse.I will be checking the Adonnays mod but the SolCom mod download seems to be broken. Hmm, you made me curious about 'my mod', so I might try that too.
Do you by chance know about the StarWarsHD and StarWarsHD2 fleet mods, are they both different or just an updated version of the first?
Will try that trick to use mouse, maybe I will discover a whole new dimension for this game lol.
Im uploading the SolCom mod together with a short description and images, give it a couple days for it to be checked and accepted.
Those 2 files are supposed to go together to get all the content if I remember correctly. The other SW mod was a mini demo called Star Wars Destiny. Dont know if the mod was ever finished but the demo has some really cool models although the balance and weapons generally are not that good.
Out of curiosity, doesn't the mouse control work when you press the tilde key ' ~ ' ?
I'll be trying the starwarsHD & HD2 fleet mods soon but there sure are some weird files in the misc section of starshatter downloads. For example, the evochron file is basically a trailer for the evochron game. Pretty sure there are some fan made movies in there too, need to check the names of what I had downloaded.