BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

O_o How was it on rails?

ReplyQuote
Cavefish
(@cavefish)
Petty Officer Registered

I have to say "O_o" as well, a game with a dynamic campaign on the level of Starshatter ("Falcon 4 in space" is pretty apt) can in no way be described as "on rails".

ReplyQuote
Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered

eh..like I said, I didn't really get into it. It seemed on rails to me, but I don't think I made it passed the first few missions. I might dig it out of my collection and reinstall it. Wasn't it all mission based without freeform?

ReplyQuote
Risbosix
(@risbosix)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi there any chance of getting a starshatter TGS serial since the game has been discontinued and he's no more sold?

I really would like to try this game =)

ReplyQuote
Grimm
(@grimm)
Senior Chief Registered

Risbosix wrote:
Hi there any chance of getting a starshatter TGS serial since the game has been discontinued and he's no more sold?

If it's really abandonware than yes. But i don't know how the legal status is about this game. Hardwar is also not available anymore and went abandonware.

Shingen wrote:
eh..like I said, I didn't really get into it. It seemed on rails to me, but I don't think I made it passed the first few missions. I might dig it out of my collection and reinstall it. Wasn't it all mission based without freeform?

Starshatter has a dynamical campaign. You have missions but the outcome of the missions decide how the campaign continues. Your tactical decisions can change everything. So it isn't really freeform like Privateer because you are always playing a military path, but it's not on rails.

ReplyQuote
Risbosix
(@risbosix)
Petty Officer Registered

Grimm wrote:
Risbosix wrote:

If it's really abandonware than yes. But i don't know how the legal status is about this game. Hardwar is also not available anymore and went abandonware.

Starshatter is not in abandonware, but there is so few space sim, i can swap my nexus key for a Starshatter TGS if someone is ok PM me?

I know it's not the good way, but it seems i have no other choice ><

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Man you guys werent kidding here. After reading this thread, I was interested in trying but

Its nowhere to be found. Amazon does have it but minimun price was 70$. Anyone know any

Sites that may sell cheaper?

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

You found it on amazon? Good on you! Sadly, I think that's it man. It wasn't widely available beyond Matrix Games. Just another, tiny, footnote in the grand scheme of things.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

$125 😯 some one ones having a laugh, all most as bad as the BIN men on Ebay.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
$125 some one ones having a laugh, all most as bad as the BIN men on Ebay.

I am almost tempted to put my own copy for sale. 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

CaptainKal wrote:
Quote:
$125 some one ones having a laugh, all most as bad as the BIN men on Ebay.

I am almost tempted to put my own copy for sale. 😀

But is it in minty mint condition. 😆

ReplyQuote
InvertedVantage
(@invertedvantage)
Petty Officer Registered

I actually contacted the guy who developed Starshatter, inquiring about licensing his engine. I've since lost the contact info, but I remember the price was (to me) way too much for what you'd get; he wanted to sell it for several thousand dollars.

ReplyQuote
diomedesbc
(@diomedesbc)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

It was a pretty awesome game. I liked the physics of the game as well as the variety of ships. I always dreamed of trying out some multiplayer, it had lots of potential. Very satisfying rising up through the ranks from a pilot all the way to fleet commander.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Good news everyone! Starshatter's source cod is available on starshattermods.com

For more news visit: http://starshattermods.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=856

And http://starshattermods.com/

0x3331

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

So can we actually build Sharshatter and play it? I have always hated the fact that this game left the market never to return.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

I dunno. I happened to have an account at that website. (Prolly from when I wanted to buy the game at release.) I downloaded the file (18.3 mb!) and found this text file, which repeats what Milo stated in that post.

Quote:
OK, I was finally able to get my rather ancient Dell out of cold storage. Wonder of wonders, it still mostly runs after all these years. Anyway, I think I was able to pull together all the source code and design notes into a semi-coherent package. The original artwork and sound effects are huge; the planet textures alone would fill a couple of CDs. No way to pack those up.

I also made a build of Starshatter 5.0.4 that doesn't require a CD KEY from Matrix Games. The whole thing is about 7MB zipped including the new executable, not including the old Ogg Vorbis library I used for music. The Vorbis package is another 12MB.

Milo

Now, from here, everything has been SUPER compressed, and I have no idea how to build it. I see an exe. file, but I get this error when trying to launch:

Quote:
Starshatter cannot open the file 'shatter.dat'. Please re-install Starshatter.

Also, for those who get this working, remember the game was NOTORIOUSLY buggy and damn near unplayable on some systems, which is why I never purchased the game in the first place. Hopefully someone can throw up a tutorial how to get this working! Im not exactly sure how to build a game from source code. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

C++ compiler and any needed libraries.

I'm kicking myself, I managed to snag a copy off of a friend a few weeks back...then the source code comes out? ><

Grrr, I can at least grab the source and try modding now 😀

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Can anyone mirror the source code? The SSMods download is down 🙁

edit: it's up again. I'd better archive this 🙂

Quote:
I'm kicking myself, I managed to snag a copy off of a friend a few weeks back...then the source code comes out? ><

As is common for game source releases, no game data has been released. So, to have something playable you still need the original game (which might be a bit tricky to find!). The updated executable does not have copy protection, however.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

If someone has a direct link to the source I can download it and upload it all to the SSC file area.

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered

http://starshattermods.com/infusions/pr ... p?catid=16

I think the top one is the game, but I'm not too certain. It may not be, but might as well put it up here. I'm downloading now, but I won't be posting again here for a few hours due to a drastic need to sleep sometime soon. If it works, and I remember, I'll tell you guys.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

What is the copyright on this stuff can I host this on SSC or will I run into an issue?

ReplyQuote
Madtoaster55
(@madtoaster55)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm not certain, but it works fine on my PC. I'd post on the forums at starshatter mods if you want to make certain it's legit.

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

Madtoaster55 wrote:
http://starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?catid=16

I think the top one is the game, but I'm not too certain. It may not be, but might as well put it up here. I'm downloading now, but I won't be posting again here for a few hours due to a drastic need to sleep sometime soon. If it works, and I remember, I'll tell you guys.

This is the original SS, which is (a couple of years) older than SS:TGS. There's no license or readme whatsoever, so it's a classic case of abandonware, the author obviously does not care but it's still not officially released for distribution.

As for the source, or the status of SS:TGS, I sent a PM to the author asking if it's OK to share but he hasn't replied so far... Still, it won't hurt to ask again

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I tried finding some contact info for Destroyer Studios and I cannot find anything. Does anyone have any email addresses and contact names I can use to contact the authors and see what the official word is?

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

The full SS:TGS game has now been uploaded to: http://starshattermods.com/infusions/pr ... hp?did=218 (you'll need to register...)

The author has also uploaded functional source code, and someone has mirrored it at https://code.google.com/p/starshatter-open

DarkOne, there is still no official license specified 🙄 but it would probably be just fine to mirror the game on SSC.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5