Notifications
Clear all

Starshatter

Page 3 / 5

rscaper1070
(@rscaper1070)
Crewman Registered

I just wanted to bump this thread and let everybody know that Starshatter's source code was released. A Starshatter Source Code Project is forming so anybody with coding skills that's looking for a hobby should check it out. Wdboyd has also posted the complete game, so now this hard to find gem is right at your finger tips.

Head over to http://www.starshattermods.com and check it out.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Nice 😀

May have a go at downloading it although it will depend on the size of the download.

ReplyQuote
rscaper1070
(@rscaper1070)
Crewman Registered

I just posted an install guide over at http://www.starshattermods.com to make things easier. You still have to be registered over there to access the downloads. The game is split up into Core, Music, and Voice zip files to keep file size at a minimum.

Starshatter : The Gathering Storm Install Guide

ssnoseart.jpg

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

DarkOne wrote:
I tried finding some contact info for Destroyer Studios and I cannot find anything. Does anyone have any email addresses and contact names I can use to contact the authors and see what the official word is?

Destroyer Studios is only one person Studio. his name is "John DiCamillo" and called "Milo".

He is registered on ( http://www.starshattermods.com ) under two names.

One in "Milo" and the other is "Milo24X7"(I last saw this. 2 months ago).

perhaps can contact him via private message.

it is probably the only means of communication.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Quote:
"OK, I was finally able to get my rather ancient Dell out of cold storage. Wonder of wonders, it still mostly runs after all these years. Anyway, I think I was able to pull together all the source code and design notes into a semi-coherent package. The original artwork and sound effects are huge; the planet textures alone would fill a couple of CDs. No way to pack those up.

I also made a build of Starshatter 5.0.4 that doesn't require a CD KEY from Matrix Games. The whole thing is about 7MB zipped including the new executable, not including the old Ogg Vorbis library I used for music. The Vorbis package is another 12MB."

- Milo -

it's a original developer's word when source code released.

Quote:
The original artwork and sound effects are huge; the planet textures alone would fill a couple of CDs. No way to pack those up.

all resource are released with engine source code. but he can't contain them in source package. due they are very huge.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I am downloading all the files now and I will install and test this. If everything looks to be good I will pack this all up and upload it to SSC. And I would be including the new v5.05 executable that was created on 26th from source wdbyod. I'll try to compact it the best I can 🙂

If there is any mods I just should include in the package just let me know, I know this was just released and looks good: http://www.starshattermods.com/infusion ... hp?did=222. I would have to install it to see it in action though.

EDIT:

Well downloaded all the files and seem to be seeing some issues while running this in native Win7 64bit mode so I will need to play with that. Also when I go into options to adjust the resolution I can never hit the 'apply' button because the mouse won't go over the button enough to click it. Anyone see issues like that? And is there a way to edit my video choices in? I tried editing video.cfg and when I re-launched it still had default setting...

Code:
VIDEO

width: 1920
height: 1080
depth: 32

max_tex: 2048
primary3D: true
gamma: 128

terrain_detail_level: 3
terrain_texture_enable: true

shadows: false
spec_maps: true
bump_maps: true
bias: 0.000000

flare: true
corona: true
nebula: true
dust: 1

ReplyQuote
rscaper1070
(@rscaper1070)
Crewman Registered

You might have missed this in the install guide, because it's at the bottom, but it should fix most of your issues...

Quote:
Navigate to your desktop and right click the Starshatter shortcut. Choose Properties and then the Compatibility Tab. Under Compatibility Mode check the box and choose Windows XP SP2. Check the box next to Disable desktop composition. Hit Apply and OK.

The final step is to navigate to the game's root folder and find the video.cfg. This is the file the game creates when you change things in the Video Options screen. If you are like me and the game doesn't have the resolution of your monitor listed, open this file in a text editor (notepad++ is the best). Change the resolution to what you need and save the file. Right click on the file, choose Properties, and set the file to Read-Only. This will prevent the game from changing the resolution every time you activate a mod.

The first bit fixes the cursor not reaching the bottom of the screen and some frame rate issues and the second bit keeps the resolution from changing. Keep in mind though that when you activate a mod the screen resolution will change but will go back to normal after you restart the game (which you have to do anyway to get the mod to work). I hope this answers your questions.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

DarkOne wrote:
I'll try to compact it the best I can 🙂

require these files/folder at minimum pack.

Quote:
content.dat

magic.fx

ReadMe.txt

opcode.dll

shatter.dat

starshatter.exe

start.dat

vox.dat

\Manuals (all files)

\Mods (folder only)

\Music (all files & subfolders)

\SaveGame (folder only)

\Vox (all files & subfolders. They are different from vox.dat)

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Just an FYI, I uploaded this about two months ago now. Sorry for not posting on it.

There is a full version all packed up and individual parts: http://spacesimcentral.com/downloads/ft ... hatter_TGS

ReplyQuote
kev11106
(@kev11106)
Senior Chief Registered

Anybody know where http://www.starshattermods.com/ went?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Either they got hacked or someone accidentally deleted some server side files.

ReplyQuote
Kalabar
(@kalabar)
Crewman Registered

Hey would it be possible for someone to put up the install instructions for windows 7 since starshattermods.com is down. Ive done a couple source code games before and havnt had problems in the past but for somereason im getting an "unnable to launch application error 0xc000007b". ive tried all the typical fixes for this kind of error that i found on google and most there say its some kind of file problem so want to make sure i have the install right.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Did you download it from here?

Because if you did it should work on Windows 7 x64 because that is what I used to verify that it worked before uploading it to the server, it should be running v5.05 if my memory serves me right.

Is shatteredmods.com going to come back online? Because it would be a shame to loose all the mods. I would gladly host them for everyone if they show me where to get them.

ReplyQuote
Kalabar
(@kalabar)
Crewman Registered

ya i downloaded both the full one and then all the parts and put the file together that way from here. just every time i run the application i get the error i previously mentioned not sure what im doin wrong.

ReplyQuote
panzerde
(@panzerde)
Crewman Registered

So it looks like these guys may be stepping into the void of Starshatter modding: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index. ... ic=80780.0

From the discussion in that forum it sounds like the site owner accidentally nuked the site database, and didn't have a backup. He was already disappointed in the lack of site activity, so he's thrown in the towel. Fortunately, it looks like there are still some people fairly passionate about modding the game and they may have found a good home.

Since I only discovered this game this weekend and I've been looking for it something like this for ages, I'm stoked that all modding hope doesn't seem to be lost!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Looks like they were having difficulties finding a home so I created a forum area here on SSC, the download area already exists so if people want to use it they can.

ReplyQuote
braddw25
(@braddw25)
Senior Chief Registered

Hello SSC,

My name is Bradd, and I'm here representing the recently made homeless Starshattermods.com community. I just wanted to once again thank you guys for giving us starshatter modders some space on your awesome site. I will very soon be taking Darkone up on his offer to allow some of our mods to be uploaded to your download area so that some of the folks here who are just getting interested in the game can try out some of the MANY mods that we had back at our old web site. I very much look forward to getting to know some new Space Simmers here.

Bradd

ReplyQuote
braddw25
(@braddw25)
Senior Chief Registered

Is there a place in the downloads section where I should be uploading stuff or does it still need to be created? I just want to make sure I'm putting stuff in the right place. Thanks!!!

ReplyQuote
braddw25
(@braddw25)
Senior Chief Registered

Nevermind my last question. I found the starshatter download area. I will be uploading some mod files at some point today when I get home from work. One other question though. Is there a limit as to how large a file can be? Some of our mod files are quite large 150MB or so. Thanks again for giving us a place to call home!!!

Bradd

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

You can upload everything here: http://spacesimcentral.com/downloads/ft ... hatter_TGS

And if you have a general area where I can grab the files I can upload them a lot quicker with FTP. And if there is a file over 190mb I would need to upload it directly because the provider caps to that amount.

ReplyQuote
braddw25
(@braddw25)
Senior Chief Registered

Firstly, I must apologize for not getting some files uploaded last night as intended. It took a little longer than I expected to download them from the Ftp site where there were stored and in addition I am also currently renovating my home and also planning for out wedding next month. I do have all of the files in my possesion now, and they will be getting posted at some point. Darkone, I do not believe that any of them are over 190MB, but I will check on that. I appreciate your offer to help upload, but I do not know for sure if I can give out the logon info to the ftp site because I am not the owner. I will check with the ftp site's owner to see if he minds if you go there and download as well. If you like, I can transfer the files to you, but I imagine it would be very time consuming to transfer them from my hard drive over the internet to you. I guess another possibility would be for me to burn them onto DVDs and mail them to you. I don't know what the most efficient method would be, but if you have any ideas, I'm all ears. Be advised there is A LOT of stuff from the old site. It took me over 5 hrs last night to download them so this will not be a quick undertaking. Thanks again for providing the space for hosting these files.

ReplyQuote
braddw25
(@braddw25)
Senior Chief Registered

I have 3 files posted in the download section so far. The files are as follow

Mod_SKD which contains information about modding the def files in the game. Just about anything can be modded from ship weapons and shields to planetary systems.

Magic 1.5 and Magic 2 These are the programs that must be used to convert 3d meshes to .mag format for use in the game. It is best to save your meshes as either .obj or .3ds and then import them in Magic 2. ANy needed manipulations can then be performed in Magic 1.5.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I will send you a PM that will have some FTP info that will get you to the Starshatter Directory to upload files. And I might need your help when I do my site upgrade to write some descriptions of the mods since I don't know much about them when the time comes 🙂 On the space on the server I still have a decent amount left and I should be cleaning up a bit when I move to a new software anyway. So upload away and I will let you know if there is an issue.

ReplyQuote
braddw25
(@braddw25)
Senior Chief Registered

ok, sounds good. And thanks once again!

ReplyQuote
sanschi
(@sanschi)
Crewman Registered

Kalabar wrote:
Hey would it be possible for someone to put up the install instructions for windows 7 since starshattermods.com is down. Ive done a couple source code games before and havnt had problems in the past but for somereason im getting an "unnable to launch application error 0xc000007b". ive tried all the typical fixes for this kind of error that i found on google and most there say its some kind of file problem so want to make sure i have the install right.

Hallo friends of starshatter, this game looks very interesting! I just downloaded it from this site. I've also tried out Gameupdates.org. In both cases the same result: "Application could not get startet (0xc000007b). Click ok to close the app." I'm beginning to think it's a windows7 problem. compatibility mode does'nt work. Someone mentioned the same problem in this forum. Is there a solution? (Because I'm fighting for a few hours now to get that game, to get it to work, to search for serial numbers realizing it won't work that way, downloading directx problems ..., I hope I'll be rewarded.) Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5