Notifications
Clear all

Starshatter

Page 5 / 5

XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered

Hi MadMax,

thanks for the links and info. Wow, great game 🙂 Dynamic campaign & missions, a sort of Falcon 4 or FreeFalcon in galactic dimensions... Awesome

Runs very fine in my Win7 64 bits, when I go with the tips here above.

As for Mods, yes, there is pretty anything you can do, I imagine. I'm very impressed by the planetside pic on http://www.starshattermods.net/news.php

Really great game, especially because you can chose your control mode Arcade / Newtonian.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
mockerll
(@mockerll)
Crewman Registered

Hi, everybody. There were some questions on Starshatter.

1. Whether it is possible most to make localization of game and how?

2. Why game sees only one joystick, but in the menu is shown two.

3. I delivered to Adonnays, but I didn't see results (I included in the menu).

4. How independently to change textures of the ships.

Excuse for English.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
icsDrafe
(@icsdrafe)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi mockerll, welcome aboard!

3. Don't know that one, need more info about where-what. Is that Adonnays some ship/planet name?

2. I'm not sure yet, joystick is handled by directx. I will try to get one or two and do some debugging with it because it's hard for me to understand that code only from script. The menu shows 2 joysticks because they are hardcoded strings in CtlDlg.frm (see 1.), how they relate to the actual directx joystick representations is not yet clear for me.

1. More or less yes, but some of the strings are hardcoded into the source. The rest can be found inside the shatter.dat file. It's a special compressed file, after the extraction you have to look for the following extensions:

- .txt files, they are straight forward, hovewer i'm not sure about unicode and such.

- .wav files, some contains speech like Rank4.wav, however you have to find the movie dialogs not here but inside vox.dat (probably .ogg ?)

- .def files, they are for ship/weapon/solarsystem/campains etc. You have to go through and see if any translation is needed here. Make sure no to do any contradiction between the hardcoded strings and the ones inside these files.

- .frm files, they are menu screen descriptors for example CtlDlg.frm contains some strings inside a combobox related to your 2nd question:

ctrl: {
id: 211
pid: 300
type: combo
cells: (7,2,1,1)

item: "Disable",
item: "Joystick 1",
item: "Joystick 2",
item: "Both"
}

4. Also, you can mod ships, inside shatter.dat (Ships folder, .def, .pcx/jpg files, .mag files are for 3d models), or better do a mymod.dat file with the changes and copy it into the mod folder, then enable it inside the game. You have to get some modding tools for the extraction, and you better get some tutorials too. I have those, but the links are not under my hands right now (ask for it in your next post and I will look around).

For the .dat files I'm using Datafile.exe, maybe you will find it in the game's folder. I have moved it into a working location (+needed to move some dlls alongside it) and since it's a command line app I'm using it with batch files for extract/insert ("Datafile.exe -h" for help, "Datafile.exe shatter.dat -ext" for extract all). It needs some practice to get along, be careful with '/' and ''. I use lines like this in my insert.bat file:

Datafile.exe rearmed.dat -ins Weapons/invisible.pcx

ReplyQuote
mockerll
(@mockerll)
Crewman Registered

Thanks. I will understand.

ReplyQuote
mockerll
(@mockerll)
Crewman Registered

It is impossible to open dat. Prompt the program for opening.

ReplyQuote
SICKofRegistering
(@sickofregistering)
Petty Officer Registered

What's going on with Starshatter.com?

I clicked the link in the OP of this thread and first got what looked like a Microsoft page claiming I'd been picked to win a PS4. Yeah sure. Then it sent me to some (probably fake) Java update page.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

What's going on with Starshatter.com?

I clicked the link in the OP of this thread and first got what looked like a Microsoft page claiming I'd been picked to win a PS4. Yeah sure. Then it sent me to some (probably fake) Java update page.

StarShatter.com is gone and I have deleted the link from the OP which is six years old.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5