Notifications
Clear all

Starbase 24 trailer

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I'm interested in seeing first hand on how the combat is because it seems a little sluggish at times in the videos I have seen.

Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered

I've never tried an online space sim. They always seem to be a generation or two behind the ball, at least regarding combat & graphics. Plus, online games don't give me a sense of progression. It's usually just an endless quest to get more kills than anyone else. I need a story to unfold and at least an occasional bigass boss to battle with.

So badly yearning for an exception. I was hearing really good things about this game, but the video you posted hardly impresses. At least there appears to be a real story involved. Would like to know how they're going to incorporate the story with the online aspect of the game.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Yeah I know. I just don't want Cryptic to ruin the Star Trek name with a crappy game. Personally I don't think everyone should have a starship, you should have to work for that honor.

There is plenty of lore for ST so hopefully they can keep the player immersed in the game story. And the away team missions should be fun as well as long as there not all out PvP matches all the time. I actually want to play STO to do some exploring, you go where no one has gone before 🙂

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)

Yeah I heard about the away team missions. About time somebody attempted that. Problem is, you rarely EVER see a game that has 2 completely different genres of gameplay (ie space combat/3rd person shooter) where either genre is above garbage level. I'm skeptical these guys are gonna pull it off.

Did you ever play Star Trek Legacy? If so, what'd you think?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Darkone wrote:

I'm interested in seeing first hand on how the combat is because it seems a little sluggish at times in the videos I have seen.

Maybe the combat is meant to be like that,after all they are meant to be big ship.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

True. I don't think we should have 20-30+ big ships in a area fighting though. I mean if you look at it in terms of your fleet you would be lucky to have 20-30 Constitution or Galaxy class starships in your inventory. So to have these huge battles would technically deplete your race of a military if they were destroyed.

I mean if you look at this:

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

There is a lot of ships to choose from. They should make the larger class ships hard to attain so only a few people that work hard can get them. I just don't like the fact everyone could somewhat easily attain them. God I need to play in the beta to answer some of my questions 🙂

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)

Agreed, to get a battleship you should need to attain a general ranking, which should take at least several months if not a year or more of consistent play. Dunno if you ever played Star Wars Galaxy. My brother told me about it, and he said that becoming a Jedi was damn near impossible. With hundreds of thousands of people playing, it was such a rare occurence still that anytime somebody in the game world achieved Jedi status, the game would stop for everyone worldwide and they'd get an onscreen message indicating that somebody has become a jedi...along with the name of the person.

He also said that so many people complained about not being able to become a jedi that they changed it so that you could actually begin the game as one, and in his eyes it ruined the game. Every idiot and their dog wielded a lightsaber, and that's when he stopped playing the game. Same concept I reckon.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

That's the way I believe totally. I would have played SWG but they messed up the Jedi character. In all the movies Jedi's were rare especially Sith. A MMO is all about making a player play for a long time, years even. You want something to work towards, if you get to end game material near your 30-60days of buying your like wtf is this it? Then the game gets shelved and that's it.

I have been really eying Star Wars The Old Republic because of BioWare only. They make good games. EVE lets you progress nicely to get those colossal ships and i hope STO, JGE, BP are the same way.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)

Bioware is indeed going about the making of an MMO much differently than is the conventional wisdom. They say that what other MMO's lack in story, progression, and such, they've more than made up for it here. Star Wars: The Old Republic will have a real story that progresses from beginning to end. You even have a showdown boss fight in the end.

This will be THE mmo to get, assuming you've since written off Eve.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)

What's 'STO, JGE, BP'

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

BioWare can tell a hell of a story and I look forward to playing this and hopefully it will capture me because I haven't played a MMO in a while. I am pretty impressed with the character classes they have shown same with STO it's just how they put it all together in the end and how they integrate the multi-player aspect.

I believe both STO and SWTOR uses smaller parties 2-4 for gaming but that isn't quoting any facts here.

STO - Star Trek Online

JGE - Jumpgate Evolution

BP - Black Prophecy

All games have an area on the site.

ReplyQuote