Notifications
Clear all

What game started it all?

Page 1 / 2

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

What game introduced you or brought you back to space gaming?

There is a lot of them out there but I would have to say Wing Commander 1&2. After playing them and there sequels I was hooked for life and went out of my way to find and play any space genre style game.

CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

The Amiga version of Elite. And then it was F.O.F.T. (of Federation of Free Traders), an underappreciated elite clone.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

It all started for me with Elite 2: Fontier and also Starglider2 on the Atari ST. Good times. 😀

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
It all started for me with Elite 2: Fontier and also Starglider2 on the Atari ST. Good times. 😀

Another comrade from the home computer days. 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Elite on the Amstrad also had a lot of fun with Starion and Darkstar(a starwars clone).

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
Elite on the Amstrad also had a lot of fun with Starion and Darkstar(a starwars clone).

Another one from the old days. 😀 Check 3D Starstrike, for an excellent remake.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
CaptainKal wrote:
Quote:

Another one from the old days. 😀 Check 3D Starstrike, for an excellent remake.

You can find that in the download area here: 3D Starstrike

I do remember also playing elite on my C64, who says 8-16bit graphics are not good 🙂

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

You can also check this: The 25th Aniversary of Elite

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

CaptainKal wrote:
You can also check this: The 25th Aniversary of Elite

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

What I find staggerlying hard to belive is that they have not released the game on the console

download services.Most game devs would kill to have an anniversary like that.Can only

put it down to the fact that there must still be problems between Braben and Bell?.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Got to love copyright laws 🙂

I would say they are squandering a great opportunity in releasing just a updated version of the Elite series on the consoles. Just update the ship models and interface and sell it on the psn and xbox live for $5 per download.

But on another note....

I have always wanted a sequel to Starlancer..... where is it....?

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

Quote:
I would say they are squandering a great opportunity in releasing just a updated version of the Elite series on the consoles. Just update the ship models and interface and sell it on the psn and xbox live for $5 per download.

I completely agree, Darkone. Such a great opportunity to hook new players...and put a smile on the face of us oldies! And if, as keeps being reported year after year, you're working on an official sequel to one of the best games of all time, what better way to ensure you've got as broad a market as you can to sell that new game to? People fired up by playing a shiny, 21st century version of the classic that still blows all other competition out of the water??

I don't mean to be a cynic, but when golden opportunities like this one are allowed to slip past you really do have to question just how much of Braben's talk is merely to appease people who keep bothering him about it.

I've never played Starlancer. Is it good?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Stardreamer wrote:

I don't mean to be a cynic, but when golden opportunities like this one are allowed to slip past you really do have to question just how much of Braben's talk is merely to appease people who keep bothering him about it.

Braden was on Twatter the other day answering some carefully vetted questions.But he hinted

at the possibility of doing something?.So they may be having second thoughts about it.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

Quote:
But he hinted

at the possibility of doing something?.So they may be having second thoughts about it.

The Long Wait continues...[sigh]

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I thought once Frontier Developments was done with their game 'The Outsider', work would start on Elite 4? Because right now that is the only game in there queue that they are speaking of so Elite 4 would be the next step we hope.

Here is a quote I found:

Quote:

In 2009, in an interview with the BBC to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the original game, Braben confirmed that the game was still in development, saying, "We'd be mad not to go back to the world of Elite and I'm very excited about it," and adding that it would be released only "when its ready."

ReplyQuote
Cambragol
(@cambragol)
Petty Officer Registered

The game that got me hooked had no name that I knew of. I played it back in the late 70's on the mainframe of a Synchrotron facility (basically a particle accelerator facility) where my uncle was doing research. It was a Star Trek simulation, in which your ship was represented by a big...S...and you flew around a tiny screen...maybe 30 characters by 30 characters, engaging various aliens, exploring sectors, etc. It made Pong look positively primitive, albiet not graphically. I was hooked after my first game, and thereafter repeatedly begged my uncle to take me back to the Synchrotron facility so I could play some Trek.

ReplyQuote
swiftdraw
(@swiftdraw)
Crewman Registered

Star Wars TIE Fighter on a demo collection disc way back when. Played one of the opening levels in a TIE/In shooting down Y-wings and Headhunters and decided I had to have the game. After that, it all went down hill I guess 😀

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Cambragol wrote:
I was hooked after my first game, and thereafter repeatedly begged my uncle to take me back to the Synchrotron facility so I could play some Trek.

Cambragol you might be interested in this WIP, its called Star Trek Excalibur - http://www.stexcalibur.com/

They are doing some great work on this one and STO's beta enrollment just started too 🙂

swiftdraw wrote:
Star Wars TIE Fighter on a demo collection disc way back when. Played one of the opening levels in a TIE/In shooting down Y-wings and Headhunters and decided I had to have the game.

Can someone tell me why George Lucas made the decision to stop making this series....? Great bunch of games there.

ReplyQuote
Cambragol
(@cambragol)
Petty Officer Registered

Darkone wrote:

Cambragol you might be interested in this WIP, its called Star Trek Excalibur - http://www.stexcalibur.com/

They are doing some great work on this one and STO's beta enrollment just started too 🙂

Heh, actually not much of a Star Trek fan. For example, the only one of the movies I really enjoy is the first one. Thanks for the suggestion though, but I lean toward much harder sci fi than Star Trek. Or at least lower tech. Heck, a Space 1999 game would get my blood pumping. Maybe. Freehauler..etc.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Darkone wrote:

Can someone tell me why George Lucas made the decision to stop making this series....? Great bunch of games there.

Didnt the X wing series of game mutate into the Rogue Squadron game on the N64/Gamecube?.

I hear that theres a rumor that they may be making a comeback.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:

Because he stopped making PC Games. The last one I remember was "Starfighter". (And he also stopped making console space fighter games. The last one was "Jedi Starfighter").

ReplyQuote
Bas
 Bas
(@bas)
Petty Officer Registered

I guess it was freelancer who brought the ball rolling. I started to love spaceims then, I mainly played Colony wars and Aquanox 2 as other spacesims beside freelancer.

Just some days ago I purchased the old WC III, but never really played one of the WC games till yet.

ReplyQuote
volrider
(@volrider)
Petty Officer Registered

For me, it was X-Wing. I saw it in ads, and thought it looked pretty good. I bought it, and that was it. TIE Fighter pretty much made it permanent. Though, I have to admit, X-Wing v. TIE was a bit of a letdown for me.

ReplyQuote
Empyrean
(@empyrean)
Petty Officer Registered

Joined the "club" a bit late with X2: The Threat. It was even an accident that I got the game - one of my friend didn't like it and gave it to me. After that, the disc only collected dust for some months, and when I finally installed the game, I fell in love with it 😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

"Wireframe" Elite on the Sinclair Spectrum 128 in the early 80s. Were did all those years go? 😳

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)

Wow... fun memories here!

Cambragol wrote:
The game that got me hooked had no name... It was a Star Trek simulation, in which your ship was represented by a big...S...and you flew around a tiny screen...maybe 30 characters by 30 characters, engaging various aliens, exploring sectors, etc. It made Pong look positively primitive, albiet not graphically. I was hooked after my first game, and thereafter repeatedly begged my uncle to take me back to the Synchrotron facility so I could play some Trek.

I remember that game, Cambragol. I wouldn't swear to it, but I am thinking that it might have been named, simply, "Trek". I thought of it as something like an interactive "Battleship" game, because you had to give coordinates for your target when you fired the Phasers or Photon Torpedoes, right?

I skipped over Elite completely. By the time that Elite was on 8-pit PCs like the Acorn and Sinclair, I had already written my first CAD program and had worked with "fast" vector-graphics computers the size of a small room. In those days, I found that a text adventure was far more appealing than graphics games. The imagery that good interactive fiction produced in my mind was far more vivid than anything that the PC's of the day could produce!

So, for me, it was Adventure that got me hooked (the predecessor to Zork). Adventure was written as a student project at MIT by one of the guys who went on to found Infocom. I played almost all of the Infocom games, and they still are some of the best-written interactive fiction ever produced. Their packaging was brilliant, mimicking the theme of the game: a detective game was packaged in a plain, brown, dossier folder; a space game in a plastic starship; a "cryogenic nightmare" in a frozen-looking white plastic head, etc. Words, and even photographs, do not do those packages justice... you had to see one in person to appreciate the brilliant imaginations behind them. They have become collector's items traded on eBay.

From there I went to flight simulators. My first multi-player game attempt was in F15: Strike Eagle, which was so complicated that two players could act as pilot and RIO in a single plane -- and it was almost necessary due to all of the tasks required during a mission!

After several years of buying what felt like every new controller and video card just to play the current games, I got tired of the complexity of flight sims and turned to space sims. Although I could understand why an atmospheric pilot had to invert the aircraft then pull back on the stick in order to dive quickly without suffering "red out" from too many negative G's, it just was not fun for me. I preferred the faster pace of the "point and shoot" fly-by-wire systems (and the inertial stabilizers that prevent G problems) in starfighters.

I played the X-Wing series first, and loved it. It was only during a gap between X-Wing releases that I stumbled upon Wing Commander.... which is the game that got me hooked as a Chris Roberts groupie. Somewhere along the line I enjoyed the MechWarrior, Tomb Raider, and Myst series, as well, but I always seem to drift back to Roberts games.

As for the sequel to Starlancer... that was Freelancer! (Which I appear to be still playing today). I would love to find something better, or even newer, but I think that I am spoiled by the greatness of those games created by Roberts, Infocom, and Lucas. It seems that nobody does it better!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2