finally I find the time to immerse in this fantastic game. After reading most install and issue topics here, I want to get sure that I install correctly and getting all the goods. What I have is: The English release, the 1.1 patch for the Russian DVD, Wesp5's latest Unofficial patch 1.7, and other tweak stuff not to mention here 🙂
What I did after installing the English release was to install the 1.1 patch, which resulted all the menus to change in russian, then applying the 1.7 Unofficial patch. Menu was then in English again. Game starts well, no sound or video trouble yet, English speech is fine as is the display in 1920x1080 resolution, but I have not yet gone past the FPS tutorial (first missions).
This install procedure should be ok?
If you have not encounter any problems then I guess it's ok
What system spec are you running it on?, I still have it installed on XP computer but never try it out on the Windows 7 64 bit one yet.
I'm running on a laptop + 24 monitor in Win7 64 bits, 8GB RAM with ATI Radeon HD 5650.
I didn't encounter the infamous trouble with ATI yet, the only trouble to mention is: After quitting the game, I have to shutdown the Precursor*32.exe manually in the task manager, it won't shutdown on its own, I can probably solve this with some Win compatibility option at the start.
I will report back as soon as I have reached the space and secondary mission part of the game. Also there is a nice FAQ here:
Humm, damn, weapon sound vanishing at some point... Same issues as already described below 😡
I'll have to make the sound fix dance... Fortunately Corwyn does a good description here:
But, as I understand, Wesp5's last 1.7 patch DOES already include the English Cutscenes, so this part of Corwyn's description must not be done, and it's enough to just unpack the russian sound file, right?
Ok, downloading the monster 1,4 GB Russian Sound File together with the GRP Unpacker (I shouldn't need this one), Hope this is worth it and will help !
Going with this solution:
All links are working !
I think wesps patch added subtitles to the cutscenes don't recall having any problems with sound in the game.
My install was the original Russian disk version of the game with wesps English patch installed after.
Yes, anyone with the Russian version is a fortunate one, because no problems to convert into English. Alas, the Gamersgate (and other) EN releases are crap that really need to be modified to play like the authors have intended. It's a pitty that some interested players may just throw it away, not realizing that this game is really fantastic once the malfunctions are out.
Have all the files now. Soon I'll be happy, or very upset (everyone then please goes lightyears away 🙂
Very much an underrated game although very much unfinished and it's a real shame that Deep Shadow went burst as we will now never get to see part 2.
* >> [EDITED; PLEASE READ AGAIN !!!] * <<
I've made an extensive stress test, starting with the ENGLISH RELEASE 1.0 of the game that is provided by Gamersgate or other other providers and making the changes below. The following shoud give the best and most enjoyable results.
Ok, the game runs fine now. The situation is this, and I made the steps below. Thanks very much to Patrick Swayze from RPGWatch:
The steps are:
- Install English Release (Gamergate, etc) which HAS to be modified as below, or some missions will be broken and there will be sound, grafics and other issues;
- Patch to 1.1 Russian patch ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE RUSSIAN DVD VERSION. Do NOT use this patch with the English Release 1.0.
The install menu is all in Russian, but don't mind, just go through the install of the patch; chose the game install directory and you will find a cyrillic folder in the game dir after install; copy all the files into the main dir and delete the cyrillic folder afterwards.
- Because the 1.1 patch has a special copy protection not included with the releases of Gamergate etc, you will have to fix the game with this download (follow the instructions inside):
- Now, apply Wesp5 's newest Patch (which contains all previous patches and LOTS of improvements, especially English translations and issue fixing; read the changelog and docs)
- You must now add the Russian Sound Files (unless you start with a russian version of course); don't skip this, because otherwise all sound effects (weapon sounds, speeches, environment sounds) will vanish at some point; the download is huge (1,4 GB) but necessary.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3iksq9y9c8czynq/precursors%20russian%20sound%20files.rar?m (use this for a single rar file or the 2 below which are split in 2 parts)
- Before you can start the game, you have to fix the copy protection as explained in the TRIVIUM package (see step above); DON'T use any key provided by your game provider (Gamergate etc), because it will most likely NOT work.
- The "Film Grain Fix" is already contained in Wesp5 's Unofficial Patch 1.7 (see step above, and thus must not be installed).
Results and in-game settings:
After these steps, there should be no more sound issues whatsoever: The mission dialogs will be in Russian, but with English translations (subtitles). All Cutscenes will instead be in English (installed from Wesp5's patch).
Be sure to shut down your anti-virus before launching the game, and be sure to go offline before!
In-game settings (in the game's menu):
After all these steps above, the Sound is set to "Headphones" which you probably should change to "Stereo" or "Surround". Try out the best setting for you.
The grafic setting is set to "High". If you have a hardcore system, feel free to change it to the last "Very High".
To better control your vehicles (buggy, etc.), change the A and D key to the secondary keys Left_Arrow, Right_Arow.
Have fun with this multi-facette game!
Excellent work Xenons
I have updated my install steps above.
DON'T use the official russian patch 1.1 if you own any English Release 1.0 of the game ! Please read here for the full and correct install procedure: