Notifications
Clear all

To Buy or Not To Buy

Grimlock
(@grimlock)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Here is the question. Is this game worth buying? i read the reviews and all but im still undecided as to weather or not i should buy this or not. i could use some help with making the decision.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Tricky question to answer I would say only buy it if you don’t mind playing an unfinished games with a number of bugs and with zero chance of having any update. But its certainly a unique game and way more innovative than most games.

ReplyQuote
nblade
(@nblade)
Crewman Registered

Precursors is a monument to a great game that could have been; but never was. I'd could only recommend it if they where making a sequel, and there's probably never going to be one. Another thing to consider is its price which will fall to bargain bin level sooner or later.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

With some of the issues people are reporting here and on the Gamersgate I will probably hold off on a purchase until it is under $20.

ReplyQuote
Digitalus
(@digitalus)
Senior Chief Registered

My plan is to wait a bit for the price to drop. If the developers aren't supporting the game actively, then I'm not willing to pay full price for something that's likely unfinished or incredibly buggy.

It sounds fantastic, though, very ambitious. I like the ideas presented.

ReplyQuote
Wolfie
(@wolfie)
Crewman Registered

I'd say - definitely yes.

If you follow the instructions, and get the $8 yuplay.ru version, then apply the English CD cutscene patch, then the Wesp 1.3 English translation, you'll get at least $8 of fun out of the first planet. And zero crashes or bugs, that I've encountered. From my reading, the English version available isn't actually an English version - it simply cuts out the sound files that have Russian in & translates the text. So the Russian version + 1.3 patch is actually better [1.1 patch + additional patches > 1.0 version].

At first, you'll find it really odd that everyone is jabbering at you in Russia. My advice? Use the to skip the really long dialogues, and role play it as your translator of a SF language. After about 1 hr, it seems natural. After about 11 hours, you start hearing snippets of English amongst the Russia [esp. in the starting spaceport, by a robot] which will freak you out 😉

Things to note:

#1 This isn't a Western Console game. The learning curve can be quite harsh - especially in terms of Inventory management & weight issues. Doing the usual RPG thing, I ran around like a headless chicken mass looting everything I could in the first two hours of the game. This then crippled my ability to run, pick up other items and so on, often to frustration where I was dumping items left right n centre. There's also (that I could find) very little places to store items [I've heard that you can use your space ship when you get it] - you can use a buggy though! (which has a spare tire in it - which is awesome when you have a burst tire & change it... to an accurately smaller & crappier tire! RPG WIN). So... head out, hijack a spare buggy, stash it somewhere safe [inside the courtyard to the town entrance works] and use it as a safety deposit box.

#1a If you get the mission for the hunter, note that the translation is wrong. It suggests you need all of the groups of gubbins to finish the mission all at once. This is incorrect - you can do it by "species". e.g. 15 meat = that part finished with the NPC. This killed me, as I was trying to lug around 15 meat, 10 claws, 8 wings and so on all at the same time >.< The NPC is quite happy with 15 meat... then next time 8 wings and so on. But, for the record, it is possible to finish it all in one swoop [although you'll need the 3rd level backpacker perk]

#1b I'll repeat - this isn't a Western Console game. Monsters will chew through you, especially the nasty bees & gnorls (?). Then again, you'll find that (correctly) if you jump into a buggy suddenly you chew through them... as long as they don't catch you, or you don't run out of ammunition.

#2 The Story - unlike other RPGs you might have encountered, following the main story isn't going to end your experience earlier or preclude the side quests, at least at first. In fact, you're best immediately doing the main quest until you get to "find a package". At this point, upgrade your starting pistol (note: if you upgrade it without selecting the upgrade option via the dialogue, you'll end up using your own skill - 20% - instead of the vendors - 100% !!) and then go to the spaceport and enter your vessel. You'll travel elsewhere - getting this section done (and note: explore for bonus missions & some free weapons) and back will help you out, and allow a natural progression of side quests. You can follow the main quest whilst stopping off to do all the side quests [look for NPCs out in the desert] and it'll all tie in nicely in 2 trips City Village. The first planet is really, really well designed in quest terms.

#3 Head shots work. Using the starting pistol + head shots = death machine.

Anyhow, I've not got to space yet - but so far this has been really worth the $8 🙂

ReplyQuote
Fafhred
(@fafhred)
Petty Officer Registered

I plan to buy this game eventually, but given the information available it is definitely not worth the £20 price tag for the English version, as it stand.

ReplyQuote
tindrli
(@tindrli)
Petty Officer Registered

so if i understood you completely all you need for russian version is :

-official 1.1. patch

then

unoficial 1.3 patch wich is a translation patch at the same time

is it something more or thats it??

thanx

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

You might need the ati fix if you are using an ati graphic card.

ReplyQuote