Notifications
Clear all

Translation Patch

Page 2 / 3

Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

PINBACK wrote:

IIRC did not deepshadow say the game was going to be in two parts. Wonder if we will ever see part 2 now

I just now read on their forum that DeepShadows allegedly split Precursors when they got into financial problems. Their homepage has finally been updated, but I have no idea if a sequel to Precursors is still planned. The game comes to a kind of conclusion but a sequel would have been needed to really wrap up the game world. As for the accessible planets, I checked this out over the weekend and there are no new ones. But there are a lot more space station around, so for space simulator fans the game will be much bigger than for someone coming from the FPS side like myself, who is interested in planet based missions mostly. It's a shame though that there is no rolling in space but only strafing...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Do you have link for there homepage, as the one here on SSC is dead.

ReplyQuote
Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

Try this: http://www.deep-shadows.com/#/en

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  
Wesp5 wrote:
There are a lot more planets in the star map, but I don't know yet if all of them can be visited. The game ends very suddenly and screams for a sequel...

Is the end of the Precursors somewhat closed or does there need to be another one just to finish the game in your opinion? I would like to see DeepShadows make a sequel but it isn't looking good. It's just a shame that there was no internationalization done and now community members need to go through a huge effort to get it into the game. I will probably hold off on getting the game myself until more of the translations are done and I am holding off hope that DeepShadows will patch the game 🙂

Wesp5 wrote:

That will take you to the deep shadows page but when you click through to go to Precursors site ( http://www.precursors-game.com/ ) you get a broken link.

Wesp5 I made a comment a few days back on the translation of the videos. I don't have the game itself but I watched the videos in a program and when you saw the subtitles they were listed twice. Is this because I am watching outside of the game or is there something else going on?

precursorssubtitles.jpg

[Edit] Found the issue in my media player I had to actually disable the subtitles and then now I see only one line of text. Strange?

ReplyQuote
TDG
 TDG
(@tdg)
Petty Officer Registered

Hello Wesp5,

Thank you very much for your effort to translate the game for us.

I 'tried' out the game first, but I really like it and bought an official copy on Ebay.

Quote:
The game ends very suddenly and screams for a sequel...

Ah dammit, I honestly hate that, and from what I just read it wasn't because some trilogy was planned but because the developer did not have the time to properly finish it off.

ReplyQuote
Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

Darkone wrote:

Is the end of the Precursors somewhat closed or does there need to be another one just to finish the game in your opinion?

The end is closed in that the original problem that surfaces in the middle of the game is solved. But this leads to further questions which could have been dealt with in a sequel.

Quote:

I will probably hold off on getting the game myself until more of the translations are done and I am holding off hope that DeepShadows will patch the game :).

You may be lucky! Someone on the DeepShadows forum figured out a way to restore the English text included in the game in one go for White Gold. I'm trying to reproduce this for Precursors right now and if everything works, the completely translated game is only a few days away :)!

Quote:

[Edit] Found the issue in my media player I had to actually disable the subtitles and then now I see only one line of text. Strange?

No. That's because I included the subtitles file with the game which isn't really necessary anymore after the video conversion...

ReplyQuote
Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

The translation patch 1.0 is available now! You can find it here: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/precursors.php#tp10

Mind you, although this patch mostly restores the English text already found in the Russian game, the translation is quite bad at times. So if you find any errors or similar, please post them here so I can improve the translation in further updates...

ReplyQuote
tylenol187
(@tylenol187)
Crewman Registered

Hey, Im new to these forums and have only just discovered The Precursors. first off, this game is absolutely amazing. i mean, its revolutionary. i dont know any other game that blends game genres so well. Space Sim/RPG/FPS ....its like my dream come true! anyways, ive recently completed the storyline of the game, or at least one ending (?), working for the Empire. im now planning on exploring the game in its entirety...and man is there a lot to explore!

unfortunately, i am a native english speaker and have had a very hard time understanding whats going on in the game. often times i would actually pause the game to use screen capture and OCR software to copy the Russian text into a translator. as cumbersome as this was it allowed me to follow the storyline and overcome the language barrier. Ive recently been trying to learn Russian in hopes it will allow me to enjoy my Russian games better (love S.T.A.L.K.E.R too) 😛

anyways, i really have nothing valuable to contribute to this thread (unfortunately), but i just wanted to express my interest in the game and give a huge THANK YOU!!! to the likes of Wesp5 and Nick-ol-teen and whoever else played a role in the english translation patch. i have noticed that there is very little information about this game on the internet and it seems as if the developers have essentially abandoned or just forgotten about this game (or maybe it was out of their control, who knows). either way, this makes me really sad, considering how revolutionary this game is to the entire industry. i believe if this game would've been given the proper marketing and publisher, and not to mention an english version :-P, then it wouldve been a hit. couldve been as big as Halo if it had come out for Xbox 360, too. not saying Halo compares to The Precursors at all, Halo fucking sucks in comparison! 😀 unfortunately though, most of todays gamers wont even hear about games like The Precursors, awesome as they may be, simply because they are not marketed in the "right" way.

i dont know if anyone even visits this thread anymore, besides Wesp5 😉 but if anyone hears any news about further devlopment or anything, post it here or send me a PM cuz id love to hear about it!

if i could say one thing to the developers of this game, it would be: Thanks for making such an amazing and unique game and... please, please, PLEASE MAKE A SEQUEL!!!!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Hey tylenol187 welcome to SSC..

A sequel was always in the plans for this game but it is whether Deep Shadows can stay afloat to make the second game.

[/hr]

Wesp5. I noticed this patch as well on the download page for your translation patch: http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=&sy ... zip&ref=ps this is a version 1.1 patch for the dvd release. Should this be installed?

[/hr]

Uploaded latest patch to the download area.

ReplyQuote
Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

The translation is based on the 1.0 version of the game but it should work with the 1.1 version as well.

ReplyQuote
Grimm
(@grimm)
Senior Chief Registered

Great Job Wesp5! With this new release of your patch, the game is completely playable.

You did us a real favor with this work. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
TDG
 TDG
(@tdg)
Petty Officer Registered

Woot woot!

Thank you Wesp5,

Finally something else to do with my PC other than making school assignments and surfing and goofing around in general.

ReplyQuote
Nickolteen
(@nickolteen)
Crewman Registered

Hi peeps. I be nickolteen, back from the deads. They always say that bad luck comes in groups of 3 and well they are over woohoo. Too long a story but i got back now. Good to see that wesp and some others took over where i started 🙂 congrats to you peeps and an appology for my awol. I humbly look forward to seeing your work wesp5.

ReplyQuote
Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

Nickolteen wrote:
Hi peeps. I be nickolteen, back from the deads.

Hi nickolteen, I hope you didn't mind me taking over your job. I needed to start from scratch anyway because of the way the original text could be restored from inside the file. I intend to release version 1.1 of my patch soon, and I will need any constructive feedback about issues still in the bad or translated in an ugly way then :)!

Update: The updated 1.1 translation patch is available from The Patches Scrolls now ( http://www.patches-scrolls.de/precursors.php ). I finished all missions on Goldin and everything I could get in space and on all the space stations to fix any issues connected. I'm taking a little break now and will then tackle the Gli and Reandore sections in patch versions 1.2 and probably 1.3...

ReplyQuote
micromil
(@micromil)
Crewman Registered

Hey Wesp5 you have done an awesome job.

If you can't translate and insert subs into the cut scenes, even just typing them to be like a script that we can print and read in a document file during the scene would be great. Then we would know what is going on.

I don't want to get to the end and have no idea what the final outcome is, or only vague generalities...

also any way to get it to skip cut scenes?

This is one of the best space sim games I have played...

ReplyQuote
Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

micromil wrote:
If you can't translate and insert subs into the cut scenes, even just typing them to be like a script that we can print and read in a document file during the scene would be great.

Find exactly this already at the bottom of the patch readme :)!

ReplyQuote
mansyno
(@mansyno)
Crewman Registered

Hi

im not sure if this is the correct thread to post

i searched tho and it seems the place.

iv read this thread and i the readme for the patch and it states it needs to be apllied after installing the game

but isnce i dont read Russian i have hard time installing the game in the first place since all the dialogs are in russian 🙂

did anyone do a tranlsation of the install process dialogs? can it be done? or maybe some screen shots with the correct buttons to press?

thanks

Mansyno

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

mansyno wrote:

did anyone do a tranlsation of the install process dialogs? can it be done? or maybe some screen shots with the correct buttons to press?

Here you go.

the-precursors-f42/precursors-install-t1206.html

ReplyQuote
micromil
(@micromil)
Crewman Registered

Quote:
Find exactly this already at the bottom of the patch readme :)!

Thanks wesp5.. next time I promise to read the whole thing before I go making up work.

I know no russian, so If anyone could help wesp5 with the transcripts that would be great.

.. bring on precursors english sequeal...

ReplyQuote
Cavefish
(@cavefish)
Petty Officer Registered

Wesp! I don't know if you will be working on the patch in the future, but I think it would be good if we compiled the info

- Where to get the current patch (Here!)

- What tools are needed and where to get them

- Any problems with the tools you encountered, if any and how to solve them

It would increase the changes of other people contributing/refining the translation in the future 🙂

ReplyQuote
Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

Cavefish wrote:

It would increase the changes of other people contributing/refining the translation in the future 🙂

The problem with this is that the SDK tool is hard to install and use and that different resource files can't be merged easily, so there is no way to have several people work on it at the same time. I intend to continue patching though, so if anyone wants to help, the best I could do is sent him an excel sheet of the text so he can improve the translation.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

FYI. I updated the Precursors area with the latest translation patch, didn't know it came out 🙂

Unofficial English Translation Patch v1.2

Can use this with the GamersGate version or is it needed? And what is different between your work here Wesp5 and what Deep Shadows did?

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

GamersGate is in English by defalt here (UK)

ReplyQuote
Braindead
(@braindead)
Master Chief Registered

I'm not quite sure but I remember reading somewhere (I think on RPS) that the GamersGate version uses the unofficial translation patch 😕

EDIT yep 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Braindead wrote:
I'm not quite sure but I remember reading somewhere (I think on RPS) that the GamersGate version uses the unofficial translation patch 😕

EDIT yep 🙂

Can’t see where it says that, I get the impression that the Gamergate version is just using the original translation from the game.

As I recall the English translation was buried in the code of the game and it was Wesp5 who managed to find it and turn it on and who has spent the last few months correcting the text.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3