Notifications
Clear all

I use crypto.com app personally on a daily basis and its great and takes the stress out of learning crypto and the crypto debit cards are great, ask me anything on this. I will probably make a thread discussing crypto soon. REFERRAL CODE = p5mu64hcq4

Tutorial "How to's"

Wolfie
(@wolfie)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Note: this is using the 1.1 Russian version patched to English via the excellent 1.3 Wesp5 patch! Using the Gamespot 1.0 version is not recommended at all, due to bugs & the really dodgy fact that they appear to have cracked the dev's game - suggests to me that someone somewhere [i.e. the dev team] is getting ripped off, and they're supplying it without permission. Warning lights aaaaaaall over that deal.

I've just started... why can't I carry much? And where to stash all my loot?!?

[*:35r3iig9]Your carrying capacity is limited to a "normal" human's in this game. So expect to carry 2-3 weapons and some gear, perhaps a bit of armour and that's it. Encumbrance functions, slows you down, increases fatigue when running and so on.

[*:35r3iig9]There doesn't appear to be any banks / stores, until you get your ship, which apparently has a locker. However, Buggies have stashes [press F2, usually when you select one with ] and can be used as mini-banks, at least for the first part of the game. *NOTE*: Buggies can blow up. The first off-world you visit you don't return to, so don't leave items there if you can help it, and go to the first off-world place with a minimum of carried items!

UGH! Why am I constantly over-encumbered?!?

[*:35r3iig9]Ammo only weighs 0.01. However, you'll find a lot of it, especially assault rifle ammo, early on. 100 ammo = 1 stone weight. 800 = 8. And so on: it quickly adds up.

[*:35r3iig9]Quest items are usually 0.01 weight. Apart from the random ones -.- Things like Claws are massively heavy; watch out for this.

[*:35r3iig9]Fruit are despicably heavy. A pineapple weighs more than 10 grenades. Avoid fruit if you can, although they give very good health gains when eaten

[*:35r3iig9]Raw meat likewise - you'll need 15 for a quest, above that, avoid carrying it. And it gives paltry health when eaten. Note: I've not discovered yet a way to cook food - logically, there probably is

Wow! Lots of starter quests.. how to keep track of them?!

[*:35r3iig9]Press O, click on an entry to make it your active main / secondary quest - your map markers will update, Green = main mission, Red = secondary missions

[*:35r3iig9]Almost all the NPCs with

GREEN names have secondary missions. In fact, many who aren't green have them as well. Talk to everyone you meet, if you can.

Can I upgrade my weapons?

[*:35r3iig9]Purchase the correct upgrades

[*:35r3iig9]Talk to a weapon vendor

[*:35r3iig9]You

have to select the upgrade dialogue option for the NPC to do the upgrading - if you select another option [say "purchase weapons"] & then go to the upgrade screen [via the top tabs] and do it, you'll use your own skill, not the vendors. 20% vrs 100% - guess which one you'll probably prefer?

[*:35r3iig9]It costs credits, but it doesn't display how many - roughly 250 from my experience

How do I sell all this crap I've picked up?!

[*:35r3iig9]When trading, double click an item to move it to an NPC's inventory

[*:35r3iig9]The game won't tell you what an item is worth, you have to look at your credits rising

[*:35r3iig9]It appears that certain NPCs give more for their "class" of item - although this is hard to verify across the board, and may be false

[*:35r3iig9]To finish a trade, click the arrows above the NPC's inventory

Can I repair stuff? Like my buggy? Like my weapons

[*:35r3iig9]You can repair your buggy via NPC dialogues

[*:35r3iig9]You can repair your buggy / items using a repair kit... I think...

[*:35r3iig9]More to follow - haven't found a NPC who will repair worn guns etc yet

[*:35r3iig9]Same goes for armour - it quickly (and I mean

quickly) degrades to 0% and becomes useless. Given the weight of it, it isn't something I've found worthwhile carrying yet

Does faction mean anything? Will NPCs care if I...

[*:35r3iig9]Yes - quicksave F9

often; for instance if you run someone over, you'll lose Faction.

[*:35r3iig9]Apparently Bandits are the only faction you can't buy yourself out of -penalties. Given the main storyline actively puts you into conflict with them, it's hard to avoid getting into their bad books. But possible. I found it more fun gunning them all down though.

[*:35r3iig9]You can get put in prison - and you'll lose items. Avoid if possible.

[*:35r3iig9]Surprisingly, the game doesn't appear to have a "theft code". So, in true Ultima RPG tradition - LOOT EVERY BOX YOU SEE!!

[*:35r3iig9]The only bug I've encountered involves faction - when you first get a buggy, and see the gnorl (?) invading the town, if you get too close whilst driving the buggy, or shoot the thing with the buggy or any combination thereof, you'll get a message that you've broken the law and you'll get put in prison / or fight. This is a

bug. If you jump out, and engage the beastie on foot you won't trigger this

What are these addiction things? Why aren't items healing me as much now?!?

[*:35r3iig9]Use of stims etc raises your addiciton level - the higher the addiction, the less benefit you get from that class of items. This means at 100% medicine addiction, a medkit will only heal a few points - so watch your levels & don't waste packs!

[*:35r3iig9]It can be cured by a doctor. There's one up a spiral ramp near the market place next to the starting space port

[*:35r3iig9]I asked him to remove addiction to drugs, and it removed the wrong one?!? Yes - two of them are mislabeled. Chose option #1 for medicines, no matter what the text suggests

[*:35r3iig9]Fruit & meals always raise your health, and aren't affected by medicine addiction

WTF!? I was walking / driving along when I suddenly died without warning?!?!

[*:35r3iig9]Watch out for clouds of insects. They aren't just decoration. In fact they're deadly. Either avoid, or waste a perk becoming immune to them. If you're walking and suddenly start taking damage and a monster isn't behind you, its death-bees. I'd advise reloading

[*:35r3iig9]I was driving along, everything looked fly, then I "wtfexploded"!?? This appears to be a case of

really accurate random shots from raiders you can't see. They often take pot-shots from long distances, and as you're a big target, you'll get exploded. That, or there's mines I've not noticed. I think its the former, but not 100% sure.

[*:35r3iig9]I was fighting a raider / bandit / someone with a gun, and had like 75% health when I suddenly died!? WTF?!? I mentioned head-shots / criticals, right? Guess what? They can happen to you as well.

[*:35r3iig9]Did I mention - QUICKSAVE F9 OFTEN. This is not your average Western console "must improve the player's self image by rolling over and making sure they win" game. In Soviet Russia, evil space beasties eat you!

Anyhow.. more to come, suggestions welcome!

Great little game this.

Wesp5
(@wesp5)
Senior Chief Registered

Wolfie wrote:
Using the Gamespot 1.0 version is not recommended at all, due to bugs & the really dodgy fact that they appear to have cracked the dev's game - suggests to me that someone somewhere [i.e. the dev team] is getting ripped off, and they're supplying it without permission.

The GamersGate version is no more buggy than the Russian release after you apply the 1.1 official patch and the 1.3 unofficial patch. Also as far as I know the problem with the protection wasn't alone the publishers fault. After all the deverlopers didn't care one bit about a western release at all!

I've just started... why can't I carry much? And where to stash all my loot?!?

Quote:

The first off-world you visit you don't return to, so don't leave items there if you can help it, and go to the first off-world place with a minimum of carried items!

You can return to that planet later on.

Quote:
  • The game won't tell you what an item is worth, you have to look at your credits rising
  • The price of an item is displayed under the inventory window once you select it.

Quote:
  • Apparently Bandits are the only faction you can't buy yourself out of -penalties.
  • This isn't true. The Raiders are always hostile, you can befriend and mediate with the Bandits.

Quote:

The only bug I've encountered involves faction - when you first get a buggy, and see the gnorl (?) invading the town

When does that happen and on which gate?

Quote:

I asked him to remove addiction to drugs, and it removed the wrong one?!? Yes - two of them are mislabeled.

That should have been fixed by the UP 1.3...

ReplyQuote
    Pinback
    (@pinback)
    99 Star General Moderator

Nice post Wolfie.

The mini map has two modes press Tab to get a small friend or foe map red for enemies green for friend.

If you are carrying a repair kit you will have an option to fix the vehicles armour.

Same for fuel but they only give you 25 units.

You can rearm the buggy at the garage.

When using the helicopters press key 2 to change to rockets or 3 for the camera.

I don’t think theirs any mines on Goldin you may have had a damaged buggy and been attacked by one the big creatures which can easily destroy a buggy.

ReplyQuote
    Wolfie
    (@wolfie)
    Crewman Registered
    Topic starter  

I've worked out how to repair weapons, at the very least - those -50% wear items aren't "this item will wear more slowly now" but "lose 50% of wear on this item"... I think.

Regarding the Raiders / Bandits... Raiders don't show up as a faction, are they one?

The bug is when you first get the buggy & mission to go to the village - on driving out the south gate [closest one] there was a rampant gnorl (?) actually invading the city and wiping out the guards. Random event?

ReplyQuote
    Jarhead0331
    (@jarhead0331)
    Crewman Registered

Wesp5 wrote:

The GamersGate version is no more buggy than the Russian release after you apply the 1.1 official patch and the 1.3 unofficial patch. Also as far as I know the problem with the protection wasn't alone the publishers fault. After all the deverlopers didn't care one bit about a western release at all!

Alright...now you're really twisting my noodle...can the official 1.1 patch be aplied over the english gamersgate version? I thought I read that it could NOT!

ReplyQuote