Notifications
Clear all

Vendetta: my first few hours

leksimus
(@leksimus)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

So I decided to give Vendetta Online a try to see how it tickled my sci-fi gaming fancy. What follows is my first impressions of the experience.

First: Graphics. I had slightly higher expectations until I saw the download was only about 200 megs or so and that this game can be run on most popular tablets. The textures are a bit "plain jane" and many of the ship designs fall into the old "it has wings... in space" trap that I believe comes from the designers being from a species that hasn't much time actually building things in and living in space.

Next: Interface. Pretty good, pretty good. It's got all the basics laid out in a nice orderly fashion, no holding down the mouse button to navigate through 17 nested menus only to find out you need to be docked at a station to do what you wanted to do in the first place (yes I'm looking at YOU EvE online) The controls feel quick and responsive and the HUD is decently easy to read at a quick glance. My only gripe here is that the 3rd person camera (something I really enjoy) is all but useless and there's no free camera movements or zooming in and out (again ala EvE online) which was another let down. I really like the sector map being laid out as a standard grid because, lets face, this is more than likely how it will work when space travel becomes main stream.

And: Game play. The game plays well for the most part, though I admit I haven't gotten to the mining bit though I'm avoiding it on purpose because I KNOW i'll be disappointed. I should note that this is not a slam against the developer but rather me having VERY specific ideas about how I think space mining should work and I have yet to see a game do it just so. My other gripe is combat. While the ship's view moves well, it can take up to 5 to 10 seconds for the weapons to catch up, this means while your tracking the enemy dead on, your weapons are firing off to right or left field and because of this, I think I killed more enemies by accidently flying into them while waiting for my weapons to join me in the fight.

All in all, it's a decent game, it feels a bit like an easier to play version of EvE that's lighter on your download times as well, add to this that you can play it while on the go and you have a neat little game.

Leks

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Thanks for this Leksimus. I tried VO about 2-3yrs ago now and I found the game a little tough on the controls. And if my memory serves me right I had issues with station menus and things like that. But that has probably changed a bit since now VO is mobile friendly. I might have to give it another trial run and see what it is like again. Yeah the gfx sound about the same and I thought the devs were working on that for v2.0? But to me gfx aren't the end all measuring stick for me, its the freedom in what i can/cannot do.

How was the community/server population when you were flying around?

ReplyQuote
leksimus
(@leksimus)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Not sure D1, The trial period is 8 hours (yeah I thought that was weird too) and though the tutorial missions say they only take a few minutes (each) I hadn't even finished them all by the writing of this review, though I did manage to pass my basic flight test which is required.

My day job is running a hydroponic/berry/fruit tree farm and the past few days have been really nice here, and as the old saying goes: "you gotta make hay when the sun shines" so I've been quite busy and haven't logged back in yet, but I wanted to write down my first impression while they were still fresh.

I plan to add to my review once I've completed the trail period.

I played this game on 2 different computers for comparison, mt older desktop with integrated graphics and my much higher end laptop (capable of running x3 reunion on full/high detail) and I had no problems with buggy/lagging menus. And the fight controls are responsive and easy to learn, within 5 mins of launching from the station I was swooping and barrel rolling through the near by asteroid filed just for fun.

Leks

ps: D1 I couldn't help but notice your from NH... as in New Hampshire? Thats were I'm from as well... small little world this is 😀

ReplyQuote