Notifications
Clear all

VO just got a little cozier

Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Things in VO just got a little cozier (just in time for the Holidays) with a rendering update, now including dynamic lighting:

1-Many_zps0ec5b262.jpg

News post:  http://www.vendetta-online.com/h/news_29284.html

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

It's been a long while since I have played VO. So forgive me if I am not informed with my statement.

Now just because you introduce DX11 driver to the system and improve lighting effects, doesn't drastically improve the game. With enabling this is the devs planing on a make-over of the visuals to really show off DX11? And how is the frames before and after the driver switch? That is really where it counts, because you cannot play a twitch based shooter with crappy frames, that is what killed Black Prophecy.

ReplyQuote
Ambrosius
(@ambrosius)
Senior Chief Registered

To me the graphics in VO were not the issue.  The big issue was the crappy flight physics.  Do many people still play VO?

ReplyQuote
Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I'm not sure what is crappy about the physics; They are 6DoF Newtonian, just like in Elite or Star Citizen.  Some players get confused about the crosshairs: while in 'mouselook' mode, they represent where your ship's nose is pointing.... so although it may feel as though you are breaking some physical laws by how quickly you can whip around your view, your ship's moment of inertia is still subject to torque.  Also, if you have 'Flight Assist' engaged, your ship's thrusters will fire to auto-correct your ship's vector to your current heading and throttle speed, but this doesn't mean that you are breaking any inertial laws (this becomes very apparent when you have a full cargo hold).  The only thing that's really not true to form are the top speeds, but these are in place to increase playability.

Try turning 'Flight Assist' off, and maneuver around at sub-turbo speeds.  You'll see it follows a full Newtonian 6DoF model. (Optionally, try turning off 'mouselook' to lock your view to your ship's heading).

Vendetta's player-base has grown significantly in the last year.

I myself haven't had a chance to test the dynamic lighting features yet (working a full time job plus raising a 9 month old kid ), but I get the sense that these are very much part of an ongoing work in progress to improve VO's look.

ReplyQuote