Notifications
Clear all

Privateer on GOG.COM!

IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/wing_commander_privateer

Customize your ship according to your needs and budget, modifying weapons, armor, and other systems
Choose the life of a pirate, merchant, or mercenary. As long as you keep a couple of steps ahead of your enemies and a couple of bucks in the black, you’re a free agent
Explore a vast universe with countless bases and planets spread out across dozens of systems. Adventure, trade, and exploration are limitless, even after you’ve finished the main game
Overview:
2669, Gemini Sector, Troy System. The Terran frontier between the Kilrathi Empire and the unknown. Privateer takes you to the seamy side of the Wing Commander universe. In the far reaches of space, you live by no man’s rules but your own. The fringes are populated by a volatile mix of pirates, miners, mercs, cutthroats, and Kilrathi, all struggling to make a life for themselves.

In this open-ended game you can choose from many paths. You start with a rusted scout ship and a handful of credits in your pocket. It isn't much, but the universe is there for you to explore in search for profitable opportunities. Become a patient, law-abiding merchant, a smuggler far away from the normal space lanes, a pirate preying on the weak, or a professional mercenary hunting down criminal scum. Or just do whatever suits you at the time. At the end of the day, it’s all about money and survival. Mostly money.

Are you determined enough to forge your own destiny?

I have LONG been looking for a way to get Wing Commander working on the windows platform. Simply put, it doesn't like dosbox, and Gemini Gold has several glaring issues.

Luckily it looks like Gog got the rights! I am very excited about this, and REALLY hope they bring other titles from the series over. ^_^ purchasing right now.

CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Quote:
Simply put, it doesn't like dosbox, and Gemini Gold has several glaring issues.

GoG uses dosbox, for its older games. Whats wrong with dosbox?

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

No idea. Ive gotten numerous other games to work, but Privateer didn't want to work for any amount of trying. I simply couldn't get it working. Not sure what the issue was.

Oh! Btw GOG version currently doesn't come with the Righteous Fire expansion. Im new to the series so Im not sure what that added.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Theirs a lot information about getting the Wing commander game to work on the CIC Wing Commander site.

http://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I thought GOG gave you instructions on how to get a game to work on DosBox? I have yet to buy an old enough game from them that needed DosBox to play but this is nice to know. If someone gets it working please post it to the WC area.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Quote:
No idea. Ive gotten numerous other games to work, but Privateer didn't want to work for any amount of trying. I simply couldn't get it working. Not sure what the issue was.

Oh! Btw GOG version currently doesn't come with the Righteous Fire expansion. Im new to the series so Im not sure what that added.

I still have my original CD version of Privateer Gold, and it works. I have finished the original campaign and started playing the Righteus Fire expansion. In older DosBox version you had to set EMS=False, and emulate a 4 or 8MB machine. In newer versions I do not have to change anything. (Even with SVN versions http://ykhwong.x-y.net/ ).

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered

Hello , just fyi I did try to buy wing cmdr privateer but my visa debit card declined payment, I double checked my acct & had more than enough money , 

I then called & was told they would not process purchase because company is located in cyprus ?? So if anyone knows of another site where i could

download wing cmdr privateer please let me know, thanks in advance .

Shadowma

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Can always try the fan remake http://privateer.sourceforge.net/ they have updated the graphics for newer PC.

ReplyQuote