Notifications
Clear all

Wing Commander (1-5) questions

XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hello folks,

the only WC title I have played and highly enjoyed is Wing Commander Privateer (1+2), also there is a very nice game conversion based on the Vega Strike engine.

What I missed and never played are the main WC series WC1 up to WC Prophecy (WC5) for which I have a couple of questions.

How do these games play on modern computers, especially WC1-WC4 ? Can you play WC1, WC2 out of Dosbox ?

I know from videos that the in-game missions and the Story are the major gameplay elements, but can you edit your own missions or deviate from the set missions to freely explore?

Are there mods for WC1-WC5 ?

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Cheers,

XenonS

Anonymous

I wish you asked this question last week, GOG.com had the whole Wing Commander series on sale for less than $10 for there summer sale. Well try getting a GOG.com account and put them on your wish list, when they go on sale again. If you don't know they fix or modify the games to run on modern computers. 

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

O well, bad timing for me, yes that's what I planed to do. Will have to be patient 🙂

Thanks,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes GOG fixed them all so they all run. Also don't forget Wing Commander Saga. Many think (including me) that WC Saga gave Chris Roberts the extra little push he needed to finally begin work on Star Citizen

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Yup GOG the place to go for the games as you get all the wing commander games and the two privateer ones as well but as other have said wait for the next sale.

As I recall all the Wing Commander games (1-5) are fixed storyline games although their is some branching in the story's the two Privateer games are more sand box space trading games.

Don't know if their were any mods made for the games, WC 1&2 had some mission add on and privateer had a new story released for it. Best place to look would be CIC Wing Commander site http://www.wcnews.com/

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

Thank you both, Geraldine, PINBACK, for your infos.

MODs:

The most popular and significant I found is certainly Wing Commander Saga.

I have also found working game conversions based on the Vega Strike engines, mostly remakes of WC Privateer.

Privateer Remake 1.2;

playable, can be downloaded and has an adapted game manual based on the original game)

Privateer Gemini Gold

latest is v.1.3 which I have already played (also the original and expansion), and it's a faithful remake of the original Privateer, manual included, download at the Vega Strike homepage

Privateer Parallel Universe

same as the above, but more ships and weapons, better sound and textures, Turret AI added. i'm trying this one currently, but it may be buggy and thus not fully playable. latest version for public is r505. There is an ongoing project to combine this title with Wing Commander Universe (see below). It would contain all worlds of WC, their missions and the Privateer game.

Wing Commader Universe

abandonned in 2005, not playable IMO, I only found a developer release v.0.2 alpha. The aim was to get the world of Wing Commander and their missions playable in the Vega Strike world.

Flight Commander

this one is an interesting project based on WC1,WC2 (no planetfalls I think). It's here: 

http://flightcommander.solsector.net/

This one comes close to Starshatter: The Gathering Storm, a game I love with missions and campaigns (and planetfall missions) and which I think is also in the best WC tradition.

With some good offer I will surely get WC 4+5 at Gamersgate or GOG, I mean, one cannot speak about space games without trying these ones, I am (was)  more oriented towards free exploring, trading etc., more Elite-type games, so I missed those important WC titles in the past.

Cheers,

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

GOG has a sale on EA games this weekend so the the wing Commander ones are going cheap till Monday.

ReplyQuote