Notifications
Clear all

Banned from Egosofts forums

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Everyone

I am slightly irritated with Egosoft right now. I was doing some searches on google and found a post ( http://forum.egosoft.com/login.php?redi ... &p=3464799) that mentioned SSC the other day. So I logged in as my acct there and just posted a small blurb about the site that I didn't think was offensive at all, yeah I spoke english in the German section but I got banned? Didn't get an email and just told to contact the admin on the reason why and then not provided an email address. I don't really remember my post and don't plan on making another account to look it up.

I didn't think I was spamming or at the least didn't mean to come across that way. But to not get at least a warning, I have been a member on the site for 2+ years and spammers usually don't wait that long to spam away. 🙂 Unless Egosoft has read some of the 'glowing' comments on their games here on SSC and dislikes anyone saying they visit here. I won't mention any names (ahem Pinback the X Series fan of the year) 🙂

I am not like Egosoft, I will still talk about their games here (good and bad) and was planning on still creating a download section for the X games. Just a shame that a game developer would treat its members so harshly without a simple warning. I do on occasion ban people immediately with no warning but that is because their first post here was legitimate spam, outside of that you get a warning.

This is why I created SSC, a place where all games can be discussed and people can freely speak their minds. Some people can take criticism and some cannot. Just nice to see all the opinions good and bad about games and peoples experiences. You can tell people curb their thoughts when speaking on developer/game forums for fear of getting banned and that isn't right. So enjoy your freedoms provided by all the turrets on SSC's station 🙂

Well enough ranting about my experiences this morning, maybe I'll rethink my X-Superbox purchase I was going to make 😉

Anyone have experiences like this before on Egosoft's site or any other game developers website? Please post them.

woogie
(@woogie)
Crewman Registered

Post the "blurb" you posted. I hope they unban you soon 😥

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Oh it's ok the milk has been spilled 🙂

Not worth the drama in email exchanges to get my account back. I will just troll their forums from time to time searching for their next update or game title.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

That link leads nowhere, the post does not exist. They must have deleted it. This is really lame Darkone. Are you saying because some people may criticise the X-Games from time to time on here, the Admins on the X-forums decide to ban you? Not only is this totally wrong, it extremely childish of them too. 🙁 Are you sure it was not just an honest mistake thinking your post was made by an ad-bot? What username did you use, I am going to search that forum. I am very sad to hear this indeed Darkone. If you want I will ask the admins what happened for you.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

I'll tell you a wee story about Egosoft.

Around about the time X3 was released, I, like many others, was anticipating the shiny new graphics engine very much, the screenshots of which were like something only god himself could paint. Having not long completed X2 I pre-ordered the game.

It arrived. I installed it. And LO...

...It was the buggiest piece of software I'd ever seen released as a finished game (Until Stalker: SoC, :D). Videos didn't play, crashes to desktop occurred frequently, and when the game did run it was slow slow slooooow, to the point of a slideshow in some instances.

Feeling understandably aggrieved, many of us went to the forums to air said grievances, but encountered what can only be described as shocking, Olympian arrogance on the part of the developers. When they deigned to talk to us at all, it was simply to tell us that our computers were to blame - the same computers that ran 99.8 percent of everything else of the market. Once this was soundly shouted down they then switched to blaming Windows. Many of us then tried everything - including complete windows reinstalls - to try and get the system in as perfect a shape as possible to let the game run. When that failed they stated walking us through the hidden guts of windows - I mean parts of windows that I'D never seen, and I've been using windows as a hobbyist for over 15 years - telling us how badly Microsoft dealt with this codec or that sound process...it was completely farcical and put more than few noses out of joint, mine included.

Eventually they patched the game, as they always do, and it was around patch 1.4 that - miraculously - all the problems people had been experiencing just...went away. From that moment on I was done with Egosoft. Intentional or not I felt utterly insulted by developers that clearly didn't believe their own coding was at fault. EGOsoft - the perfect name!

I'm not saying this has any bearing on what has happened to you, DarkOne. I'm just saying that my experience left a very bad taste in the mouth, traces of which still linger today. Your post reminded me of it, is all.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Geraldine wrote:
Are you saying because some people may criticise the X-Games from time to time on here, the Admins on the X-forums decide to ban you?

Not at all. I meant my comment on it as sarcasm and hope that wouldn't be the case. But my username on Egosoft forums (Solnicaris) would not have been really linked to back to SSC except for the signature I use. Yeah the admin could have thought of my post as possible spam, but I think they should have used more restraint and actually questioned me first before the ban since I have been a user for a while. Granted I didn't post there much at all if any really, I mainly created user to access all of the forum areas.

Geraldine wrote:
I am very sad to hear this indeed Darkone. If you want I will ask the admins what happened for you.

No need 🙂 I just found the whole incident a little surprising and funny because maybe I am closet a spammer now.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Darkone wrote:
No need 🙂 I just found the whole incident a little surprising and funny because maybe I am closet a spammer now.

As you wish Darkone. As for spamming, this only occurs when you give out info people don't really want. If your tagging the SSC in your posts over there, all you are doing is attempting to open the eyes of those deeply into the X Games to other possibilities within the genre. From Egosoft's standpoint (and their actions in banning you), I suppose they might feel you were trying to steal their captive audience away from them. Can you imagine the shock horror if people over there suddenly realised that there was much more to the space sim genre than the X games! 🙄

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Geraldine wrote:
If your tagging the SSC in your posts over there, all you are doing is attempting to open the eyes of those deeply into the X Games to other possibilities within the genre. From Egosoft's standpoint (and their actions in banning you), I suppose they might feel you were trying to steal their captive audience away from them.

It's not like I am selling a game or something, and that's what I was doing was responding to a post that someone else made that I was telling them about SSC's X Series area and all of the other games and projects out there. But I guess they are closed minded in their ways which is fine. If this was Egosoft's mindset behind the banning, than that is really why I made SSC to begin with. Because space gaming communities seem disconnected and almost at odds with each other and people cannot seem to chat about all the games. There is nothing wrong with it, and if anything it does provides healthy competition to spur advancement in features for games and bring more innovation to the genre 🙂

I love reading a lot of the posts here because there is a lot of great opinions and ideas that are shared in these games discussed here and there is developers either as members or people trolling the forums that will hopefully listen and put some of these ideas and opinions in games.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered

That's a serious blunder on Egosoft's part. SSC has a reasonably sized community, and does a great job promoting the kind of games Egosoft makes.

I understand how insulting and annoying the ban must have been. Still, I would try not to blame Egosoft as a whole for what could have been the careless actions of a single forum moderator who has little else to do with the creation of the game. It is quite possible that the developers who poured 1000s of hours into crafting the game had absolutely no visibility or awareness of this ban.

ReplyQuote
Jabberwocky
(@jabberwocky)
Master Chief Registered

Agreed Farcodev, it was an absolutely terrible PR move.

Agreed with you too Aero. The entire purpose of an official forum is to promote the game, and sometimes that results in a less than 100% honest and open discussion.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Jabberwocky wrote:
understand how insulting and annoying the ban must have been. Still, I would try not to blame Egosoft as a whole for what could have been the careless actions of a single forum moderator who has little else to do with the creation of the game.

I hear ya Jabberwocky and I don't take the incident to heart. A little irritated at the moderators of the forums just because of the abrupt banning with no excuse sent to my email account. But that is now water under the bridge 🙂 My main gripe is the fact that people are not really free to really have open discussions on game software forums. Yeah I know that negative postings can harm a product no doubt. But usually negative posts are usually confronted by fans or facts about the game to refute it.

Example of a forum where your probably afraid to post in is the battlecruiser 3000 forums where Derek Smart patrols the forums and sometimes even belittles his own fans for saying something wrong or against his vision. Everyone know the gaming scene is mainly about money and that is fine. It's just that buyers should get truthful and honest opinions about all aspects of a game. And we all know there will never be the 'perfect' game. But as long as developers show interest in their community and take in all feedback responses they will always have a strong community.

I really mean what I say in my statement on the main page about trying to bring the space gaming community together and try to create a place where all games can be freely discussed and if any developer wants some free space they just need to ask. Maybe space games have had a rough ride the past few years, but I will do my best to change it all for the better.

I will step down from my soapbox now and let the thread go back to the question at hand. 🙂

Darkone wrote:
Anyone have experiences like this before on Egosoft's site or any other game developers website? Please post them.

ReplyQuote
Digitalus
(@digitalus)
Senior Chief Registered

The only experience like this that I've ever had was on the Blizzard forums for World of Warcraft. Now, I don't play the game often -- I don't really like it, truth be told, but my wife adores it.

Anyway, my poor little account has been banned several times, though never permanently. I've been banned for, and I'm quoting the official e-mails:

Each ban was a few hours or a day or two. Never cared much.

[*:3ec1lm52]"Insert ban reason here, or select an option the left." (Heh.)

[*:3ec1lm52]"" (Twice. It actually said Ban Reason: "")

[*:3ec1lm52]"Trolling" (Not sure why.)

[*:3ec1lm52]"Moderator baiting." (I probably deserved this one.)

I received most of those awards for asking questions that weren't popular with the moderators or the fanbase. The posts are almost always deleted immediately. Censorship is alive and well!

Shame about Egosoft doing that, though. I'd have thought they were a bit better than that. I really enjoyed X:BTF. Haven't taken a look at X3 too seriously yet. It's on the "one day" list.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Digitalus wrote:
I received most of those awards for asking questions that weren't popular with the moderators or the fanbase. The posts are almost always deleted immediately. Censorship is alive and well!

Only time I remove posts is when I am either banning a spammer or if a particular member is being hateful to members of the community itself. Besides that people can have their opinions about any of the games they wish, I even don't mind the hate speech on SSC if it is constructive and whomever is giving me some guidance on improvements. But all removal of posts that I do that person will get a PM usually stating why and a warning.

I guess I look at my job as making SSC a drama free zone.

Digitalus wrote:
"Moderator baiting." (I probably deserved this one.)

I liked this one Digitalus, hope it put a smile on your face 🙂

ReplyQuote
Digitalus
(@digitalus)
Senior Chief Registered

Darkone wrote:
Only time I remove posts is when I am either banning a spammer or if a particular member is being hateful to members of the community itself. Besides that people can have their opinions about any of the games they wish, I even don't mind the hate speech on SSC if it is constructive and whomever is giving me some guidance on improvements. But all removal of posts that I do that person will get a PM usually stating why and a warning.

I guess I look at my job as making SSC a drama free zone.

Spammers deserve to be banned, definitely! And hate speech, too, if it's nothing but attacks without anything constructive. That's all perfectly normal and good to me.

Darkone wrote:
Digitalus wrote:
"Moderator baiting." (I probably deserved this one.)

I liked this one Digitalus, hope it put a smile on your face 🙂

Yes, it did. 😆

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I would never say anything negative about Egosoft and the Xgames. 😆 😆

XBORE.jpg

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

OMG thanks for this Pinback this made my day. 😆

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Oh Noes! Da Da Daaaah! Pinback strikes again! 😆

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Strange, I am also critical about latest X series games. But there is a difference how you are critical.

The game have problems and if you point out that with argument. Even in the dev section. I am still not banned.

So currious what you did to get banned?

Could be I count for 2 to 3 gamers.

As often germany is first market for release so wenn I am impation I drive to germany few miles / km away and bought the german version.

then wenn the international version comes out buy that to. and wen the 2.x no cd version comes out buy that to.

Register all my X games.

Play it from X2 and up.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I got banned because I responded to some poster comments about SSC. I was just letting them know some of the projects that were being discussed on the site and that in addition there was a X Series area on the site as well. I thought it was a very friendly and non-spamming post. And I didn't even post any links 🙂

I haven't tried to login to the X forums since my banning and will probably never do so again. If I go their it will only to be a troll and pull down info that I may need.

I ban people all the time, but they are blatantly spamming. As long as links or comments are on topic and or are relevant to site content I don't care.

ReplyQuote
vistarnh
(@vistarnh)
Crewman Registered

I have experienced similar arrogance from their admins when making suggestions about the lackluster space combat. It reminded me greatly of Derek Smart and his cronies back when BC was being developed. I pretty much just wash my hands of that kind of closed-mindedness. As for the X games, I always give them at LEAST a year after release for them to sort out the bugs and let the modding community do their thing to make them more playable and enjoyable.

ReplyQuote
lair360
(@lair360)
Petty Officer Registered

Hey Darkone,

When I first purchase X3 Gold Edition, I was hoping to play and explore the universe. HOWEVER the game just slugged around like a snail!! What kind of engine are they using to run this game? That is right... it runs on "Single Core" only! In other terms, it doesn't even utilize all of the processing unit from my Intel Core i7! This is lame... really LAME! I just laughed so much that my hardware looks powerful and this game doesn't even want to take advantage of my hardware and resources!!

This is my system spec. But, the game just ran like... "go snail, GO!" LOL

P.S. Lets hope (cross my hearth to die) that the NEXT series will support multi-Core + 64-Bit OS! God prays...

Processor (CPU)

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-860 (2.86GHz) 8MB Cache SKT -1156

8 processors

Memory (RAM)

12GB DDR3 -10600 -SDRAM

Motherboard

ASUS P7P55D PRO: DDR3, S-ATA II, 3 x PCI-Ex, 2 x PCI

Operating System

Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Memory - 1st Hard Disk (OS System + Application)

WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR 500GB SATA2 32MB (7200rpm)

Memory - 2st Hard Disk (OS System + Application)

WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR 500GB SATA2 16MB (7200rpm)

Memory - 3nd Hard Disk (Application, Games + Backup)

Hitachi Deskstar 500GB SATA2 16MB (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

ASUS DVDE818AT DVD-Multi 16X

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

ASUS DVD-RW 22X + COMBO

Graphics Card

ATI RADEON HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

2nd Graphics Card

ATI RADEON HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

Crossfire Enabled: Yes

Sound Card

ASUS XONAR DS PCI 7.1 (GX25 Audio Engine)

1st Network Facilities

ASUS WL-138GE 128MBPS WIRELESS PCI

2nd Network Facilities

Edimax USB 7711UTn

Case

Antec Twelve Hundred Series + Special Filters

Power Supply & Case Cooling

Antec 1000W + 120mm Fan

Processor Cooling

LGA-1156 Costume Heatsink (required for running 8 processor)

- Antec Kuhler Box (Heatsink)

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Uh its The X3 The reunion engine they use. 2006? In that time Single treaded was common and Dual core was nextgen.

A Proscessor with 8 Prosesors?

i860 I think a quadcore, that 4 cores CPU using Hypertreading.

Wich means it can prosces 8 treads with it.s 4 cores.

Wich means it uses 6 out of order pipeline where 3 are for excotic computation to do 2 treads.

This means it can do like a oct core but can also has a performance hit. wenn threads rival on core resources plus the overhead. -30 to 80% performance win depending on application.

And I think a game wich use a extensive and in depth economics and lot of diverent kind of massive amount AI units.

I think SMP enable game but also GPGPU could be put to good use.

Derek Smart is a good example of not going into discustion with gamers but use a person suitable for a profesional PR job to do it for you.

I like the egosoft forum method.

Level one the common people. normal moderated

Level 3 you get acces on the Dev part. very strick moderated

Level 5 I think is something where a NDA hangs on not sure. Well NDA.

Wish list tread make no sense to me. 5 to 30 bright idea's are spread and get overgrowen by 40 pages of 2000 reply's.

Now you get one specific wish. on it's own where more serious people react on.

4 to 30 bright idea with there own thread and some more with few replay on them.

Also if you got a similair idea you add to the excisting.

That much more managable for dev's to plauw trough.

ReplyQuote