Notifications
Clear all

X Rebirth 2.0 performance

XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Reading all the bug list for the original XRebirth, I was in fact well-adviced to wait for this 2.0 patch, but maybe i should have waited longer...

Setting to the lowest grafics options, 1280x720, no AA, no VSynch, using D3DOverwrider and MS-Afterburner. The result: Just a few minutes in play, the framerate exceeds largely 30 FPS, my GPU temperature is rising, rising ... up to 95° and

Shut Down because Overheating 😡

To check that my system is OK,  I checked the ventilation vans: ok, then I run Just Cause 2, a demanding FPS game, all ok, the temperature doesn't exceed 85°.

I would like to cap the framerate to 30, I even found the command line  -GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 20+, but this doesn't seem to work with current version.

My system:

Intel 4-Core i5, 8GB Ram , OK for low-medium in-game grafics (reading the requirements).

Any suggestions for capping the framerate are welcome !!

Greets,

XenonS

ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

The performance in X Rebirth has been a disaster.  To me this is definitely worse than all the other problems with the game as it renders it unplayable.  I've not been able to find any way to fix it, and none of the updates have improved it in a significant way.  It'll be entertaining at least to see if it runs any better once the GTX 880 comes out and I'll run it with a 6-core Haswell-E, but now other games are coming out so I doubt I'll put any effort into it.

Anyway, have you tried the nVidia control panel?  (If you have nVidia).  I'm pretty sure there was a framerate cap option, but it used to be that overriding game engine settings would potentially screw things up and cause crashes.  

Personally, I wouldn't even really consider 30 fps playable.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I recently put together a kinda low end gaming machine that still gets 55-60fps is skyrim with mods (and my Just Cause 2 runs at 60fps, but I cap it at that) and if I remember correctly X-Rebirth is a DX9.0c title? I find it odd not being able to run at good frame rates on decent systems because DX9 is over 10yrs old. Is there a difference running x64 or x32 bit executables? I thought with the release of 2.0 that x64 executable was supposed to fix a few of the performance issues, not so?

I have still yet to buy this one because of the complaints I have read to its price point. I have found running a game at 30FPS is very usable but that depends on what is happening on the screen, if we are talking about space action and your at 30fps you could be getting shuttering/skipping and that makes combat unplayable to me.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

Hi DarkOne, hi ExpandingMan,

thanks for your inputs.

The game manual speaks about DirectX 9.0C, that's years old, I actually have DirectX 11 (and run games like FarCry 3 with framerates > 30 fps without trouble.

Could it be that the reason for the overheating trouble is that my laptop is connected to a 24" lcd monitor via a normal D-SUB cable (instead of a HD cable which I could also use) ? 

The fact is: I was running into trouble with another game showing the same symptoms, and what helped was using D3D Overwrider to enforce VSYNCH and Triple Buffering and setting a framecap of 30. I'm still running that game (Just Cause 2) very smoothly, for hours if I want to. So my idea was doing the same here for X Rebirth 2.0.

Also Rebirth 2.0 should work in x64, because on installation, there are 3 boxes asking me to install DirectX 9.0c , x86 Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Runtime, and x64 Microsoft Visual Basic C++ runtime. I checked with my software, but I did NOTHING of the 3, because I have them already on my system (Windows > System > Software). Maybe this was the error.

There is a file Config.xml for the game, but it doesn't tell me if Quad Cores are running, or if actually the x64 is running instead of the x86.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

Ok, I've scrutinized the german Egosoft forums for a solution, and I think there are both solutions for ATI and NVidia users.

For ATI grafic cards:

Download a tool named Readeon Pro (click the link below then the Radeon Pro link).

In this tool, create a profile that points to your XRebirth.exe,

Now you have to go in the Overdrive tab and unlock to chose "Enable Grafics Overdrive" and "Always use highest performance clocks while gaming". This is because on laptops not all the GPU power is used and made accessible by default, most of the time the GPU goes asleep to save energy, and that's what confuses both XRebirth and the GPU

For German speakers, the links are:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=348416

http://www.worlds-online.de/spiele-2/x-rebirth/x-rebirth-performance-tipps-fuer-mehr-cpu-und-gpu-leistung/

I also right-click on the XRebirth.exe, and chose Properties > Compatibility > Run as Administrator

In the game Grafics Menu, I set to low, reduce LOD, but it is adviced to set HIGH SHADERS to increase FPS (which may sound strange but it helps greatly).

The game is running fine and acceptably smoothly now on my system and rarely exceeds 90° in GPU temperature. Also this Radeon Pro tool seems to be a fine GPU managing tool with lots of DX tweaks.

I hope this will help all other X-Rebirth players 😎

XenonS

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Thanks for that XenonS, I will look into that tool and see if it helps in other games as well. I have used AMD for years for gfx and I run a A10-7850K with a R7 250 in Dual Gfx mode and so far games run well at max settings (but I do have water cooling too, so I am sure that helps a bit the same with the 16GB of memory).

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

Hummm..."%##..

Sorry, no cigar yet... I was too optimistic here. The problem with my grafic GPU is solved with the solution above, so this was essentially a laptop-related problem with cards for the Radeon Mobility series that don't give total power immediately.

BUT: While the game is acceptably fast in space, it becomes a total crawl in First Person (inside stations), and even outside stations with a lot of objects. My framerate goes below 10 and the game becomes essentially UNPLAYABLE, as well as it may look.

That's terrifying. This game should asap be optimized for DX 11 and quad cores to perform correctly. I have read a lot of forums where people have WAY better systems than I do and they average out a maximum of 20 FPS only after making acrobaties to their setup   Incredible but true.

I do have a space game that shows the same game mechanics in space, where you can visit stations in first person, take missions, trade etc., with less spectacular grafics, but it runs very fine: it's called The Precursors, also with a large FPS part in it. This game was developed and optimized for DX9 with best results. There have been lot of bugs at the start, but they were all related to the missions, not the grafics engine.

I dunno if this game can be overworked, but testers should have given Red Alarm for such a game running on modern DX 11 systems.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

I actually have suffered performance problems only up till 1.21 or close to that. 

My setup:

AMD A10 6800K

Ati HD6670 Passive discrete gfx card (sort of crossfire setup with the A10).

16GB RAM @ CL8 @1866mhz

Bunch of kingston 64GB SSD's in raid0 array.

I did have some mods which would cause performance problems due to scripts causing sort of infinite loops. But other than that performance problems have been nearly non-existent. I do hear that these issues are very much near to random and I can not see a clear pattern between system setups and performance problems.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

X Rebirth is DirectX9.  As far as I know whatever is the must recent subversion of DX9 is backwards compatible with the others, so I don't think the subversion ever matters much on DX.  

Nowadays there are lots of x64 compiler options so most programs can, at least in principle, run 64 bit (though still not enough do).  X Rebirth is very poorly set up for multi-threading however, as far as I can tell it's only using one thread for me.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the performance issues are largely graphics related (mostly because of the solutions people have found, though I have yet to find a good one for nVidia), but I don't know for sure.

My understanding is that going to DX11 would be a huge project for them as switching API's would probably require rewriting a fair amount of source code (I really have no idea whether there are compatibility wrappers or whatever).  Some people were asking them about it before release, but it would have delayed it even further.  Maybe they would have been better off...

Anybody actually enjoying the game?  I was getting the impression from all directions that it is pretty terrible, but people tend to get rather hysterical about bugs so I still had a small amount of hope that a few updates down the road it would at least be playable.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Topic starter  

Damn, i think my problem gets deeper than I thought, X Rebirth should be  out of cause here, it's only my system... I just played a bit with Miner Wars 2081. Same symptoms, crazy temperature, low framerates, that's surely not a coincidence and just denotes that my GPU is getting old, period. The Radeon Pro tool helps however and I have to use low resolutions and shaders.

My post above should not be missunderstood: It's NOT a major lamenting about X Rebirth, It's just that I was dissapointed, never having experienced so huge slowdowns in games until now - but I must live with the fact that computer systems get old fast.

XenonS

ReplyQuote