Notifications
Clear all

X-Rebirth 2.0 thoughts and reviews

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Here is some decent videos showing off some of the new features and gfx of X-Rebirth 2.0.

Think its getting to the point where I will be purchasing the game soon, I think the patches have been great and I tend to like that Mercenary Cockpit view myself but its nice to see so many changes getting implemented into the game and sounds like it is definitely a good step in the right direction. If I remember correctly 2.0 came out roughly 6mos after the initial release, wonder if 3.0 will be coming out on its 1yr anniversary?

For those that have the game and play it do you think the reviewers at on track with their reviews?

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Basically the patch has added all the feature which should have been their/working at the games release.

But as I have said before How much anyone will like the game depends on how much they liked the original X games. If you loved the original games then you wont like Rebirth if on the other hand you could not stand them then Rebirth might be worth a look, but with so many game coming out we are now spoilt for choice.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

So maybe someone like me that has never successfully completed a X game, because of boredom (I know try not to flame me) then I might be able to make it through this one 🙂

I hope they really concentrate some efforts on the station experience, I really do like the Mass Effect style of stations and would hope Egosoft would brush this up because it really helps with immersion into the game. It's only been 6+ months so far, didn't it take X3TC a few years to get to the state that it is in now. So my guess is that in a few months X-R will be something to have fun with. I know when watching some of the videos that some of the visuals are truly amazing. Does anyone have any comparisons to offer, meaning if you run X-R with all the settings at max what type of system would you need to take in the full effect of the game and maintain like 30-35fps?

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Damn.

I've been waiting for Elite:Dangerous and/or Limit theory to surface. Based on X-Still-Birth's terrible reviews at launch I was going to give it one a miss completely buuuuut.....

...those videos look kinda tasty. She's sure a purrty critter (in space, the metled-plastic mannequin people are still horrible). Not sure I want to plonk down 30+ bucks for it yet so maybe I'll wait a while. By then they might be up to 2.5 or even 3.0 and there should be more reasons to check it out.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I think their will be GOTY edition out later in the year around about the same time as E:D and S:C are launched.

As for how well it running I can say much as I never had the problems with which other have had with the game.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

GOTY edition??? Game of the Year?

My god, the SIZE of Egosoft's cojones! 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

My god, the SIZE of Egosoft's cojones! 

😆 😆

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

RPS has an interview with Bernd Lehahn http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/24/x-rebirth-interview/ more apologies for the state the game was released in (rightly so) as well as some thoughts on where they going with the game.

The sad truth is Egosoft have now earned themselves a reputation for releasing unfinished games. The only silver lining is they are also known for supporting those games extensively after release. For better or worse, with Rebirth the case is no different. The team spent the immediate period after release smoothing out the game’s bugs, and since then have focussed on more extensive changes and additions to the game, culminating with the X Rebirth 2.0 release in April.

Very true about Egosoft reputation.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

X Rebirth goes 64 bit funny I though they said was already.

X Rebirth Update 2.20 Released - 64-bit

27 June -

We are pleased to announce the latest update to X Rebirth which takes the game to 64-bit, allowing the game to make better use of your PC's available memory.

• NEW: The 64-bit EXE is now the default. See below for more information.

• Fixed Secret Service missions constantly reminding player to talk to mission actor.

• Fixed campaign progressing unexpectedly when docking at station.

• Fixed player occasionally being in wrong position on platform when loading savegame.

• Fixed trade offers on player ships/stations occasionally not appearing in trade menu.

• Fixed claimed ships not showing up in property menu.

• Fixed ships continuing to move when ordered to wait.

• Fixed trade orders not being executed when ship has been ordered to wait.

• Fixed various cases of drones being unable to dock/return.

• Fixed missing docking bay on Wheat Plantation.

• Fixed missing container storage on Pharma-Spice Farm.

• Fixed missing MK2 weapons after completing plot (you may need to change zones before this kicks in).

• Fixed map not showing player stations.

• Fixed incorrect positions of some elements on map.

• Fixed menu slider controls breaking under certain circumstances.

• Fixed controls no longer working when opening ability menu on a platform.

• Fixed controller A-button not working after having left the cockpit while an interactive notification was displayed.

• Fixed station under construction becoming invisible after Alt-Tab.

• Fixed a leak causing savegames to grow slowly in size over time.

• Fixed several causes of occasional crashes.

If you encounter serious problems with the 64-bit version and would like to try reverting to 32-bit then you can subscribe to the 32-bit "beta" using the Steam client. To start using the 32-bit version, right-click X Rebirth in the Steam client, select Properties, go to the Betas tab and select release_32 from the dropdown list. If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows you will automatically receive the 32-bit version of the game, though such Windows versions remain unsupported.

Note: The system requirements for the game have always stated that it requires a 64-bit version of Windows, and future updates for the 32-bit version are not guaranteed indefinitely.

Steam does not currently support automatic crashdump upload for 64-bit applications. We are therefore using a third party tool to provide this facility. If there is a crash then a standard crashdump will be created and uploaded to the third party site, from where we can perform analysis to determine the cause. As with Steam crashdumps no personal information is included in these crashdumps.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

It's been a while since the last update, any one know what they are upto?.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Well I know that patch 2.5 is in like a closed beta test and who knows when it will be ready, this sounds like a major patch since they are taking a while to get it done and if they do the same thing they did with X3TC than 3.0 will probably be an expansion. I will be interested what 2,5 brings and it may be the patch that gets me to finally buy X:R.

ReplyQuote