Notifications
Clear all

X3:R - Improving Flight Skills?

Grykus
(@grykus)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

This is a bit of a hardware based question, but the game I'm playing right now is X3:R so I'm posting it here. If this topic is in the wrong place, I'm sorry.

So my query is, piloting my ship feels really.. difficult. I use a basic Logitech Keyboard and occasionally my generic 3-button mouse. I know a lot of people use Joysticks, and I plan on getting one. I'm just consulting the pros for advice on certain Joystick and/or other things I could do/buy to increase my flying abilities.

Thanks in advance.

- G

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I have X3TC on my machine and don't find it hard to fly at all with my keyboard/mouse combo. Have you tried editing the control settings a bit? I have a Saitek keyboard and a high end gaming mouse from logitech that has 9 buttons so it helps to.

ReplyQuote
Empyrean
(@empyrean)
Petty Officer Registered

Donno. With a totally upgraded ship, one should fly through space like hot knife cuts through butter. 😕

Exactly which part is difficult in controlling your ship? ❓

ReplyQuote
Grykus
(@grykus)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
Empyrean wrote:
Donno. With a totally upgraded ship, one should fly through space like hot knife cuts through butter. 😕

Exactly which part is difficult in controlling your ship? ❓

Mainly just aiming the ship's cross hair, which isn't really a big deal unless I'm dogfighting. It might just be a lack of skill on my part, but I'm trying not to think of that. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Empyrean
(@empyrean)
Petty Officer Registered

Grykus wrote:

Mainly just aiming the ship's cross hair, which isn't really a big deal unless I'm dogfighting. It might just be a lack of skill on my part, but I'm trying not to think of that. 🙂

Did you try the "K" button? There are 3 kinds of targeting: no aim, normal and one that auto-allignes it when you're close (Sorry, I don't know how much you know about X3 🙂 )

ReplyQuote
Firegor
(@firegor)
Crewman Registered

I dont have a problem with aiming (not sure if the aiming is exactly your getting at) but i wont take on, say, 3 pirates UNLESS im certain to come out the victor.

Are you aiming the cross hair on their hit reticle (not too sure what else to call it) or the ship itself?

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

It could be a matter or adjusting the mouse sensitivity ? Haven't played this game so dunno if this has this option, but most games do.

ReplyQuote
Empyrean
(@empyrean)
Petty Officer Registered

To tell you the truth, I really don't think hardware has to do anything with controlling your ship. I use a very basic keyboard and mouse, and it works perfectly.

First off (as I already said), you should upgrade you ship to the max. There is much difference in controls between a basic ship and an upgraded one.

Second, use lots of WASD. Every ship has a blind spot, and WASD helps you to stay on it. Even an M4 can destroy a big ship (like a Mammoth), all you need is patience.

Third, use the third target mod (as I already said). When the crosshair is blinking, then the weapons auto-allign on the target when you're close to it.

Fourth, practice. Back in 2005, I always got killed by 2 or more pirates. But now, I haven't been killed for 3 years now. Noone is a born pro, and besides: X takes time to master - that's part of its beauty.

So I really don't think this is just a hardware problem. I'm not saying that you're a bad player, but judging from one of your other posts (

Grykus wrote:
I just got X3.....

), you're relatively new to this episode.

Take your time and perfect your skills. X3 is really different compared to X2 (as you already noticed), so your old tactics wont necessarily work.

ReplyQuote
CmdrMerrick
(@cmdrmerrick)
Petty Officer Registered

Im having much the same trouble too, but mines down to the auto aiming in the 4th part of mission 2 where you have to shoot down at least 1 pirate, which im struggling hard to do.

any help on this subject will be received with much thanks

ReplyQuote
DragonWolf
(@dragonwolf)
Petty Officer Registered

I normaly use a joystick, it realy helps, when you use the third aiming option, becouse you can move you ship arround, faster, i found that the mouse can be good, but only certian mouses, with high sensitivity, other wise, it will take too long.

other then that, if you don't have a lot of experiance in battle dont pick fights with pirates with a M3 on there wing, specialy if its a nova, and your one a M4 like the buster you start in, those back torrets are killers, other then that is pratice and upgrade ships and sistems, you may whant to look in some ship specs to see what you think its best for you

that help

here a link i often use to chose my ships

http://x3r.nefilm.net/db/index.php?c2=1&s1=5&s1s=0&ws=

ReplyQuote