Notifications
Clear all

Fly Dangerous, , new (free!) game on steam (offering full newtonian)

tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

So you can see for yourself all about the game, it's free. I highly recommend it. 

The game is not natively "full newtonian" but does offer the option to set yourself up thusly, AND it does offer a mechanism (via the unity project download) to produce your own custom maps. 

So this is technically amazing, because it really allows me personally to practice the course theory that I've been bent on in a more refined environment,, along with background music and such. I do have another project you can find on tsmspace.com called "MicroGravityDreams" by Why485 , it's also free, but it's different,, I don't know how to develop games so I took Why485's mini game, and added a bunch of gates to fly through. There's things I could do to change how it plays, but all of it needs to happen within unity, to make separate builds, while Fly Dangerous is just generally more finished , half of the setup happens within the options menu, so it's all around what I play more the last few weeks. (I've only had either one of them from very recently). 

Anyway, in order to play custom courses, you paste a json. There are a few options in the discord, but all of the games maps and pretty much the discord offerings as well are optimized for the native game physics, ,which means speed cap, vector rolloff, and boost (with incredible velocity rolloff). My courses are completely different, and are aimed at being navigational challenges / maneuver

sequence practice for a full newtonian craft. 

I will keep updating my custom courses on tsmspace.com as I make more,, but the present status of collection will be attached here. There is a problem, and that is that in order to navigate the courses according to my intended gate order, you will either have to guess correctly, or watch my "course walkthrough" video for that course. I don't have them linked in the folder,, but perhaps I will try to add that. Ok hold. Ok now there's a document in the zip folder for that. Also there's a document if you're not sure how to use the custom levels, although you can find out from the discord easily. 

Of course you know that my preferred input method is my 4-joystick game controller! (or maybe you've never heard of it, but you can build your own following the instructions on my hackaday page, which is linked to tsmspace.com) . If you make custom levels, I am definitely hoping to fly them! (the discord is a tough way to find levels,, I hope they eventually figure out some kind of more easily searchable database,, although probably that will wait until there is generally more player-made content available. 

It is my personal opinion that player-made courses will drive the quality of navigational sequence challenges much more than developer created courses ever could, because only by accessing the masses can we have the full might of public inspiration to contribute to our maneuver sequence catalog. 

Pinback liked
Topic Tags
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

link here to fly Dangerous Fly Dangerous on Steam (steampowered.com)

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@pinback good idea. I didn't even think of that. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Looking very good @tsmspace. I don't have any VR equipment yet, but I hope I will have time this weekend to download it and give it a try. Feedback is looking good on Steam too so looks like the grind to get this release has been worth it 🙂 Are you going to keep it free for now and introduce some DLC or something so you can earn a little money on your efforts?

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sscadmin

Looking very good @tsmspace. I don't have any VR equipment yet, but I hope I will have time this weekend to download it and give it a try. Feedback is looking good on Steam too so looks like the grind to get this release has been worth it 🙂 Are you going to keep it free for now and introduce some DLC or something so you can earn a little money on your efforts?

Sorry!! I didn't make Fly Dangerous. You don't need VR! You can play on regular screen , and it's great! Any compliments you might have for the game are certainly due! But I have nothing to do with it,, the timing is just really convenient. 

The Fly Dangerous project is run by a "Jukibom" which is the devs discord name. What I did is make some custom courses that are quite a bit different from the present offerings in the game, as well as make a config file that if you copy it into the dev tools, you can then play full newtonian with the same thrust values that I play with. You can also set up your own preferences. 

However,, for me, the game is perfect in many ways, and I am just very excited that it offers a way to have a regular game that allows me to practice space drone racing. I do hope you don't wait around for VR,, and just go right in with regular screen,, the ship is very maneuverable and you really don't require VR to get oriented. ,, BUT,, to have the full newtonian experience you will need to set up the dev tools and since it's a bit buggy, you will want to copy your dev options to clipboard and save the document, because you will need to reset them every time. 

ReplyQuote
Lefty
(@lefty)
Crewman Registered

This game looks like fun. While I generally prefer more realistic newtonian flight mechanics (think Dv: Rings of Saturn), I have a soft spot for ED's flight model. It's pretty satisfying, and nobody has it down like they do, though many have tried (looking at you, Squadrons!).

Will give this a go, see if it runs on Manjaro.

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@lefty you can adjust the flight model to be newtonian in the dev options. 

ReplyQuote
tsmspace
(@tsmspace)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@lefty you can adjust the flight model to be newtonian in the dev options. 

ReplyQuote
Lefty
(@lefty)
Crewman Registered

@tsmspace All the more reason to try it out!

ReplyQuote
Startrek_Karl5
(@startrek_karl5)
Petty Officer Registered

Fly Dangerous is a new free game on Steam that offers a full Newtonian physics simulation of space flight. Players can explore a vast universe, build their own ships, and engage in intense dogfights with other players. The game also features a variety of missions and challenges to complete. The game is currently in Early Access, so it's still a work in progress, but it looks like it has a lot of potential.

ReplyQuote