Notifications
Clear all

Darkdawn: Encounters: Android Early access coming VERY soon (iOS and WP8 later)

LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hello folks, 

I visited here, oh, about a year ago, to tell you about my game (100% solo project), which at the time was coming "in a couple of months". Since then, I got a new job, moved and it quickly became clear the game was not going to release anywhere near on time. So here I am, after having eaten a nice big slice of humble pie; but this time I really AM a few weeks, at most, from release. 

First of all, what is Darkdawn: Encounters? In short, its a capital ship combat game for mobiles. In practice, is most closely resembles Star Trek Online's ship to ship combat, or the older Starfleet Command games, where the action is real time, but you are more concerned with shield facings and firing arcs than lining up crosshairs (which makes it particularly suited, I think, to touchscreen controls, which are often not ideal for cockpit-sims).

You captain frigates, cruisers and battleships as the Terran Exiles, fighting off fleets of Ikha'ari raiders during the First War. The Android Early Access game is meant to be a polished skirmish game with both custom and random "encounters" and a survival mode. Fully playable and fun right away, though still evolving, it will go on sale for $0.99. Using feedback from Early Access I intend to tweak/balance/refine the combat, and in the meantime, work on a story-based campaign made up of key battle scenarios of the First War, at which point the game will go into full release and launch on all three platforms for $1.99. Early access players will of course get the update at no additional cost.

Darkdawn: Encounters early access will be available very soon in Google Play. Seriously this time. If you twisted my arm I could even release today, but I want to give it at least one more balance pass. 

I'm hoping this game will be the start of something. In many ways, though fun in its own right and I hope well worth a buck or two, I'm hoping you will all help me to perfect the combat system so it can serve as a seed for more ambitious games to come.

But enough talk! On to some media:

promo1.jpg

Still working on a proper trailer, but here is a sample quick encounter, flying an Othirion-class cruiser:

And, if you have an Android, you can check out my Ship Viewer/Promo app, with an optional AR component (free, of course): 

en_generic_rgb_wo_60.png

No Android? Check out the web-based version of the ship viewer (warning: requires Unity web player) - Darkdawn Ship Viewer

SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Now this looks sexy as hell 🙂 Awesome graphics !

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I some impressive graphics and the game play looks similar to the Star treks games on the PS2. (Cant remember which one)

ReplyQuote
FStyle
(@fstyle)
Senior Chief Registered

Is this one of those 2.5D games like Starpoint Gemini?

ReplyQuote
LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Is this one of those 2.5D games like Starpoint Gemini?

The answer is both yes and no. In Darkdawn: Encounters, you can pitch up and down, and pass over and under other objects; however, there is an "up" and a "down" (unlike in true 3D space), and damage, firing arcs, and shield facings are all handled in "2D", that is there are fore, aft, port and starboard shields and arcs, but no top and bottom. There are some situations where up and down do come into play though, like you can dodge "under" a mine, and there is one weapon, the Particle Beam, that must be aimed by pointing the front of your ship (in both the horizontal and vertical axis) at the target. 

I decided to go this route as a compromise between feeling like you're in direct control of your ship (as opposed to just tapping commands) and trying to avoid something more twitchy which can often become awkward on a touchscreen. For example, I often pass up playing the otherwise superlative "Galaxy on Fire 2" on my tablet, because I can often become frustrated at my aim on a tablet vs. my aim on a joystick, gamepad, or mouse. So I've tried to shoot more for "quick tactical decisions" rather than "precise and delicate flying/shooting".  

I must admit I hadn't tried Starpoint Gemini. It seems like they started from the same foundation; the Stafleet-Command type combat model. I guess I should give it a closer look!

ReplyQuote
LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I some impressive graphics and the game play looks similar to the Star treks games on the PS2. (Cant remember which one)

Now this looks sexy as hell 🙂 Awesome graphics !

Thanks guys 🙂  

ReplyQuote