Notifications
Clear all

game crash ...

VampiretteDuCosmos
(@vampiretteducosmos)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

this game is very beautiful, but it often stops by itself when you go on certain star in the galactic map ... FFED3D is much more stable ...

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Which star? We can't fix bugs without specifics.

ReplyQuote
VampiretteDuCosmos
(@vampiretteducosmos)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

it's complicated, I'm starting to land and I put the galactic map.

I press the arrow left and I travel systems, play stops every single button in a moment ...

It's even worse if I press Shift + left arrow to go faster ...

And not every faith is the same system ... it just anytime ...

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

VampiretteDuCosmos wrote:
FFED3D is much more stable

FFED3D looks like it was sicked up by a dog and it might not even still be in development. Pioneer is being very actively developed and I'm sure the crashing issues will eventually get fixed as long as you log it with the issue tracker-

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

Subzeroplainzero wrote:
VampiretteDuCosmos wrote:
FFED3D is much more stable

FFED3D looks like it was sicked up by a dog and it might not even still be in development. Pioneer is being very actively developed and I'm sure the crashing issues will eventually get fixed as long as you log it with the issue tracker-

https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues

Very true. We don't compare ourselves to FFED3D or any other Frontier clone. We steal ideas from Frontier itself, but only when it suits. Pioneer is its own entity, with its own crazy crashes 🙂

ReplyQuote
VampiretteDuCosmos
(@vampiretteducosmos)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Ah Oky me Understand 🙂

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

-0,0, you can get very straight with that 😆

looks like you love pioneer really. that's good.

vampi

in fact i didn't see this as a fight, but it's true and i have send you PM, where i explained that a lot, i guess.

of course imo (imo, in my opinion. imho, in my humble opinion. - only to avoid confusion*) , Pioneer is far better then FFED3D, i explained you why, it's easy to build a game on the work of others (JJFFE).

and it's EAGER from some of them, to think we stuck soon with Pioneer (i guess they don't know with whom they mess, they should be warned).

FFED3D, will never get over the limit's of FFE. it will be always bound to it, no additional missions, no secrets you can hide somewhere in the game, no different models already the models are bound to size and use in FFE, there's no getting around that (except some hacks the original data like i do).

i like FFED3D to and i will always work a little on that, trying to find some hacks for my models i made, solving perhaps definitively the use of the three eagles.

i am only "gernot", but i guess i can show them a lot they have no idea about, not only transparency for cockpits. 😉

certain things i would solve completely different as they did and i am more then just displeased with the missing atmosphere layers for the gas giants.

even when i found out now that this is somehow a bug persisting in FFE, if they would have invested only a little time in the original code of FFE, they would have found a proper solution. but like i said it's easy to take the work of someone else and build up on that.

it has many leaks, due to the "simple way" dreamzz constructed his wrapping, but still i respect him, i guess he was 17 (correct me, if i am wrong) when presenting FFED3D and that's quite something.

but you can see already they don't get far without him, imho.

and instead to roll up the project from start and start to investigate how he build FFED3D, they constructed now a further wrapping, that's not really good and will only double some problems instead to really solve them.

you can't make a ferrari from a volks-wagen, but you can start to investigate how the ferrari is build and build a better one. 😉

Girls, Boys, let's show them that they are WRONG!!! let's show them that we can make a game that goes far over FFE.

i promise you here, if it's not a ship i will name after you then it's something else, hidden somewhere to remember you was part of the Alpha team, even when you only play and report errors, that's important to.

just as a perspective,

we can throw you in the eastern arm of the galaxy and give you a small chance to find a way home, they not.

we can let you meet perhaps different races in future, they not.

this list is easy to expand.

we are still at the beginning of a long progress, but we need also brave hearted players with a lot of patience that give the devs echo and the will to complete what has begun.

* and if you ever read something like "lolrog" in my posts, it means, laughing out loud and rolling on the ground, i know ugly english of Massive Multiplayer Online Games players, even when i don't play mmo's, but my stepson has spent many hours doing so.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

vampi, i know you have some graphical skills

share them with us, please 😉

-0,0 started with only a idea, look what became of that...

i can give you already now a mission to search for a hidden system, it's not perfect, but works.

the freaky thing is, this system will change it's location, each time you start the game, so you will have to fulfill the mission in one attempt.

ReplyQuote
VampiretteDuCosmos
(@vampiretteducosmos)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

you speak of? Pioneer or FFE ?

I just not help you, I do not know English heck I understand you, it's sad ...

I find it hard to understand ... translation gives strange things ...

🙁

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

first of all i am a complete crazy guy, never forget that, i burned my mind with whatever, spiritual things get mixed with jokes and facts, that's me.

sorry, if i mix both (Frontier and Pioneer) often, but they are like close buddies to me.

why don't we have a franco-canadian in our range? that would help i guess.

i swear i will learn french, a bit at least, basics are given by school, i "only" have to refresh that, and seriously hold the task.

i told you that i regret again i never was interested in french 😳

---

Excusez-moi, si je mélange les deux (Frontier et Pioneer) souvent, mais ils sont comme des amis près de moi.

pourquoi ne pas avoir un franco-canadienne dans notre gamme? qui aiderait je pense.

Je jure que je apprendre le français, les bases sont donnés par l'école, j'ai "seulement" ont pour rafraîchir que, et sérieusement tenir la tâche.

Je regrette encore une fois je n'ai jamais été intéressé en français: oops:

---

off topic:

this reminds me of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail "

---

god please tell me, why do you split us into so many different languages? one tribe, many languages, i could vomit...

"damned romans..." you should have finished the task in the end, maybe we would speak at least the same language.

sorry, don't take that personally, it's only a part of european history...

esperanto, would be a solution, but the community is actually still very small...

my fault, being grown up in a country with three national languages and i wanted to learn english...

instead of french and italian.

stupid me

stupid also to use the "bauhaus" style of always type lower cases, i know but... history? sense of belonging to?

if they had made the match, we would now speak esperanto, all of us

we would type only lower cases, all of us

but some miserable two wars was coming in between those ideas.

yep, i am a hippie, a retro-retro hippie...

[attachment=699:Result2.5.jpg]

i hope not...

i guess i should post where i got that from,

it's from a crazy french dude

and if you like 50's horror and sci-fi movies...

especially soundtracks, rock 'n roll and wild garage punk, you should visit his blog, unfortunately it's in english

[attachment=700:ufocopie.jpg]spread the good word!

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:
-0,0, you can get very straight with that 😆

looks like you love pioneer really. that's good.

HAHA yes I do need to work on my speech filter a bit 😆 I know I can seem a little harsh sometimes but I'm a nice guy really, and I certainly do love Pioneer! It's one of the most promising space related projects on the internet, and it really benefits from a small but awesome community that cares a lot about where it is going. I wish there were more like it 🙂

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:
yes I do need to work on my speech filter a bit

do you really think you're the only one 🙄

one pioneer is enough, imho

btw, i love the new faces and i found already a girlfriend in pioneer

[attachment=704:2011-05-16_162254.jpg]

😆

i wonder if a gif animation would work, just to let them open and close the mouth or wiggle with the eyes.

i know actually no 8bit bitmaps in pioneer, but...

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:
i know actually no 8bit bitmaps in pioneer, but...

Only right now. If someone submitted a bunch of artwork that required 8-bit then we'd implement it.

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:

btw, i love the new faces and i found already a girlfriend in pioneer

😯 😯 Wow she's a looker! You're a lucky boy! 😆

Thanks! I'm really impressed with what s2odan and Robn have managed to do with implementing my graphics into the engine. They'll be even better in alpha 11 too, particularly the extra races! (asian and african/carribean) There may also hopefully be special outfits for police, mechanics/engineers and commodity shopkeepers 🙂

EDIT: also about the animations, hmmmm it may eventually be possible to do but there's just too many mouth sets to contemplate doing all that work on. It would be cool if certain important npcs were animated though. That's quite an intriguing prospect

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

it's only a idea, nothing certain that HAS to be done, especially not quickly.

i'm not in a hurry...

but i guess i could help you out with animations and vampi has graphical skills to i know.

i have a simple morphing program that can do much of the work for altering a mouth a bit from one frame to the next, if we have a slightly opened and a closed of a similar one then it's easy to make the frames between, i guess, no i'm sure.

of course you can't go to far with such else you would have to animate cheeks and the chin to, that would go to far for the used system, i guess.

but if its just a smile, a tic, a wink with the eye, a stiff upper lip, or a lifted eyebrow....

i'm already happy with what we have and i'm sure you will perfect that more and more.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Only right now. If someone submitted a bunch of artwork that required 8-bit then we'd implement it.

what would be needed for that from your pov, i mean not arts, that's my part.

e.g i'm thinking already about slimming the textures for buildings they are "only" background and i'm pretty sure it saves a lot of processing time. already i had to blow some up to 24bits because only this gets accepted, such is a useless waste of bits, imo. they might have become "real" 24bit due to resizing and overworking, i guess else it wouldn't make no difference if you make a 24bit of a 8bit, except you that blow up the size, the (amount of) color information would be (is) the same.

i guess it won't cost much to implement that, no?

even when i'm not sure how or if it will workout with the shader.

from the pov of a modeler, a far more detailed texture can be made with less depth (e.g. compared to a 32bit texture i could quadruple the size and still have less bits used, which is far to much but just as impression), you really won't recognize the difference. take coolhands viper as (a perfected) example, the original finally used texture had only 8bit depth, can you tell that by looking at it? now due to the conversion it's a "fake 24bit", i mean it still has only the colors it had before, it's only blown up (in size, i guess for the so called pixelization it makes no big difference, 256 colors will stay only 256 colors even in 24bit depth).

the only real limit i can see is the alpha channel, which only partwisely can be replaced with a indexed color. but for a simple transparency it's enough and due to the flexible material settings, i still have the possibility to control opacity (unlike in other games).

actually with 32 bit i can do it in two ways, to have a "0,0,0" set alpha channel and control the transparency/opacity with the material, or i use the alpha channel in full depth and i don't need the material except to differ between transparent or opaque (.99 or 1). so this is in some kind of way to much possibilities, it wouldn't be needed really.

on the other hand i wouldn't like to miss that completely (cloudy stuff, blending), but in many or most cases it's not needed.

maybe such is not the maximum you can get out of it, but it's "industrial standard" imo. do we really like (have) to turn the world upside down?

just as a perspective, this could be forced even more, by use of standardized palettes for 8bit, but this really sucks, i guess.

but on the other hand if i guess that every bit has to be processed with every frame....

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:
Quote:

what would be needed for that from your pov, i mean not arts, that's my part.

I think its pretty trivial to load 8-bit images and textures, the code just doesn't support it. Probably just a few lines to add. All I need is a sample image. Maybe two if you want both indexed (palettised) and direct colour (RRRGGGBB) modes. I have no idea if the latter is something we want or need though. I don't really mind, both should be easy to handle.

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator

@mariakenneth You're commenting on a 13(!) year old post.

ReplyQuote