(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Still haven't tried it out as I keep forgetting to download the dx update. 😳

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

The installer include the directx web setup.
I thought it was a smart idea use the latest directx sdk when i installed visual studio , now everyone need it too 😳

I have uploaded a video on youtube that show a zoom out to the entire solar system

and 2 new screenshot

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Got some nice scale there Littorio, the zoom out was a nice example of the size of the scale your creating.

I have yet to download and try this out yet, but I will. I take it that all green squares are friendlies and red is the baddies. Do you control every unit in your game or just that main ship?

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Green are friend and red are enemies. Only the squares with a name are ships , all the others are missiles. For now you can control any unit , also enemy and missiles.

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

new version released 14-09-2010

Changelog

added multi-threading , up to 3 threads used

I need the help of someone who can write the readme in a better english than mine and improve the user guide.

I also need ship models.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

You get any takers on the editing of the README Littorio? If not I could probably lend a hand. I will take a look at it and upload my changes to the forum.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I will probably write this in HTML so it's easier to add pics and formatting.

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

You are the only voluntary till now.

Beside language problems i don't think i can never write a good user guide. For me everthing is so obvious that don't need to be mentioned 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I am almost done with the basic layout and will post/refine when I play this some more to fill in the blanks for some questions I have. If anything it will look a bit more neat and all the spelling mistakes will be gone.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Check this out Littorio and let me know what ya think?

I will update this post with the changes to the ReadMe.

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Very good , i have uploaded it on the site 🙂

Readme

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Glad ya like Littorio, it should be pretty easy to maintain now. When I go through the game a bit more I will alter it and re-post and try to fill in more descriptions. I tried to link in things that would help with some of your definitions/descriptions.

I think what would help to is maybe a description of the unit values you use in your parameters and if there is minimum and maximum values? For example power_required is 4E4? or structure is 25E6? What does this mean..?

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I have made some minor correction.

The units are the most appropriate SI unit.

power: watt

energy: joule

mass: kilogram

position-distance-dimension: meters

angle: radian

force: newton

the unit of the structure is kg

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Updated my original post with the readme and fixed a few things.

ReplyQuote
kineticdeath
(@kineticdeath)
Crewman Registered

hey there Littorio,

I am the turbosquid user "furyfighter" and i just wanted to say i love what you have done with the karatelva battleship, i think its an awesome job but i couldnt help but notice you mention you sought more ship designs. Which is why i have created an account here. I have dozens and dozens of ship models, most are in gmax format, such as the karatelva but i also have a few made in 3ds max now.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v118/FuryFighter/

that is my photobucket which has screenshots of most of my models, I have some other ships on turbosquid but none of my max models. If you fancy any of my ships on photobucket, or would like me to create you a new ship i'd be more than happy to share - helping you is also helping me as it gets both of our content out there!

th_igniter_mk1_004.jpgth_MissileCarrierComplete004.jpg

2 of my 3ds max warship models - hope to hear back from you, and thanks again for using the karatelva, was really cool when i found your project!

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'm happy to have found you , or i should say to be found by you. I have searched you email and i found an old minbari hotmail email but i got a "mailbox unavailable" message.

It has been hard to convert karatelva from gmax to 3dsmax. I created a script for the task but unfortunately i lost it. I really liked you karatelva model , it was exactly the kind of ship i was searching.

I'm going to look at your new 3ds models.

I need custom models. If you are willing to help there are more thing to make than you asked for 🙂

some thing:

warships of all sizes

turrets

space port

civilian ship

cargo ship

space yard "rib cage"

asteroid

debris

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I want to try some of your models. Where i can download them?

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

That is the place where i downloaded the karatelva model , but his new models are not there, for example the 2 models of the images posted

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

How is work coming on the next update to StarShipSim? And do you have a list of things that you might get into your next release Littorio?

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

After the last update i have redone the collision detection. Now it is faster and solved one of the oustanding issues with framerate drop. And less visible but also important it is now more robust and expandable. It will allow me to implement (not in the next release) shell-hull armor collision. Next i'll add explosive shells on impact and with a fuze timer with selectable delay and impact force to activate the fuze.

I have added the loading of star system from text file. Right now i'm adding a random solar system creator. Nothing fancy, just planets with random size , name and texture.

In this or next release i will also add a random battle creator.

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

new version released 13-10-2010

Changelog

improved collision detection performance

improved collision response

added star system loading from file

added star catalog

added random battle

When the user create a random battle, a star is randomly selected from the star catalog. If it is present a file with the solar system definition it is used. Else the star is created with parameter from star catalog and planets and moons are randomly added.

Impact damages still needs tuning.

ReplyQuote
kineticdeath
(@kineticdeath)
Crewman Registered

hey sorry i am not the most active forum goer out there, what i will do is upload my Igniter and missile carrier (those 2 ships i posted pictures of) onto turbosquid in thier current states. The Igniter design by concept is small, roughly 130meters and the missile carrier is massive, up to 3000meters, so you have some idea on scaling and firepower.

The models will be uploaded within a few hours of this post, i'll make an edit once its done. In regards to extra fresh models like i said i havent been making many of late but i have a design for a "battlestation" so to speak but it would require modeling from scratch

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/562827

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-igniter-mk-3d-model/562805

Igniter and Missile Carrier uploaded and good to go, i have a rough gmax -> 3ds max conversion of the "Kineticdeath" light cruiser and the "Devastator" Battleship too if you are interested in them.

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'm finishing the ship hull editor. It allow the creation of ships using a graphical interface. With this editor you can place "slots" and define what type of component they can contain. The actual filling of slots with component is still done using text file, but i plan to add a similar editor for this.

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Looks like it coming alone really well Littorio. 😎

ReplyQuote
mdaddett
(@mdaddett)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter