Notifications
Clear all

Liberation

Page 2 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Can't find my old usb completion pro joystick, which I think would work really well give the Elite like fight style, but the game could really use a radar. 

I have found it very hard to hit the police ship even after turning all the option down with the keyboard.

Rebel Galaxy 2 for my money has the best joypad support and Flight of Nova has very good joypad support, check out the demo if it's still up.

This post was modified 7 months ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Ok I have pushed controller support! It suits xbox/steam deck. Based it on Rebel Galaxy but realise just now everyone meant Rebel Galaxy Outlaw lol. I want to enable remapping support in a later release or at least multiple layout profiles. Learning all the time

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I see the game has been released on steam, congrats and I guess you are going to be busy for the next few months. 👍 

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pinback

I see the game has been released on steam, congrats and I guess you are going to be busy for the next few months. 👍 

Thank you. I hope people like it. Really want it to be a focused game -- wham bam thank-you ma'am type of thing. Tell a story, deliver a good time, get out. That kind of Blake's 7 / Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy spirit.

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

First week went well. Have done a big patch with lots of balance update and fixes. Gamepad support is a bit weak... my first two attempts at allowing remapping I had to pull because they were so flaky.

Pinback liked
ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Just bought it, and  I am going to give it a try, this week!!! Are you going to implement any rudder controls?

I will also try to remap controls, with Xoutput ( https://github.com/csutorasa/XOutput) or  Joystick Gremlin  ( https://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/)

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Awesome! I have a new version coming in the next few days with big targeting improvements. Space games are hard to make haha

This post was modified 7 months ago by classyk

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @captainkal

Are you going to implement any rudder controls?

What's a game with good rudder control? Always lookin' for inspiration

This post was modified 7 months ago by classyk

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

@classyk OK!! I like the visuals of the game, but I think that need to implement better gamepad/joystick controls. This is an area of the game that needs a lot of work!!!! 

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @captainkal

@classyk OK!! I like the visuals of the game, but I think that need to implement better gamepad/joystick controls. This is an area of the game that needs a lot of work!!!! 

I'm working on it haha. It's frustrating seeing the gap between what I was trying to do and what people are feeling but we'll get there. Space games have moved on since the 1980s and that's good

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@captainkal I have pushed a new version that completely reworks the underlying flight model. It's a lot more modern now.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

I will give it a try this week !!! Thanks!!!

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you for your suggestions btw

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Here's an article in MCV/DEVELOP about the influences behind the game.

This post was modified 3 months ago by classyk

Pinback liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice interview Classyk.

And the hint of a sequel.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Yes It was a nice interview!! I am still learning the controls on this one!! 

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I have done my big accessibility release. Lots of quality of life improvements such as the best jumpgate for the current mission has a little target symbol on it, etc.

One thing I wanted to do since launch was make it playable for people who don't have the patience for action games. So now Liberation has options to turn on a story mode, a super weapon, an auto pilot and to the pause the game while selecting a target. I'm hoping with these options enabled the game can be played by people who prefer turn-based games.

Anyway, I can never promise future releases but I'd love to add a world I had to cut during early production... it's an idea I love that I can't let go!

Screenshot 2024 03 20 at 10.52.48 pm careeng

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice set of updates Classyk, pausing the game an interesting option to add, don't know if it would encourage turn base player to play an action game but an interesting idea all the same. 

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Nice set of updates Classyk, pausing the game an interesting option to add, don't know if it would encourage turn base player to play an action game but an interesting idea all the same. 

I don't expect turn based gamers to suddenly jump ship but it's more for people I know whose reflexes aren't as good as they used to be!

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I know what I want to do with the next update but I definitely feel I am missing an opportunity to listen to what players want. I have a few steam keys if there are some space sim fans who wouldn't mind putting Liberation through its paces and giving me honest feedback!

Pinback liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice one Classyk, hope you get some useful feed back from it.

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Nice one Classyk, hope you get some useful feed back from it.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
classyk
(@classyk)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Another update! This one fixes a few issues and does some quality of life changes. I also got to add some of the little details I did not have time to do earlier such as a very fast train, flying traffic and dirigibles to MegaPlanet.

Some of my favourite things from this release:

• add lots of details to MegaPlanet 1
  • make speed boost much faster (from 220 to 300+) and reduce energy drain
  • buff reactor boost from 2.3 to 4.0 but duration cut from 15 to 8
  • buffed a lot of the enemies such as the Jumpgate Judge
  • lots of improvements to mouse support
  • lots of bug fixes

Screenshot 2024 04 27 at 10.33.08 pm

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2