Clear all

[Sticky] Wanted: new screenshots

Page 3 / 30

s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
I think Red Dwarf also did a story about potting planets too, but I am not sure

hehe thats what I think of too when someone mentions playing pool with planets 😆

ReplyQuote
Przemyslav
(@przemyslav)
Senior Chief Registered

I took recently a nice screenshot in Proxima Centauri 🙂

Here it comes:

screenshot2011092713223.th.png

PS. I am new here, so HELLO! everyone 🙂

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

hi, and yes one nice screenshot

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Welcome to the SSC Przemyslav 🙂

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Pioneer art: "Optimism"

0UBve.png

(Actually a bug in some new city generation code I'm working on. I still laughed 😆 )

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

😀 That would probably work quite well for asteroids

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Or a secret military base. Just add a few more buildings, maybe a radar array or two, missile launchers and your good to go!

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

And the other kind of broken:

4ktCN.png

This code will be the death of me 🙄

ReplyQuote
matthewfarmery
(@matthewfarmery)
Petty Officer Registered

wow nice

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

robn wrote:
And the other kind of broken:

4ktCN.png

This code will be the death of me 🙄

At the time were you thinking: "Needs MOAR p0WAAAAAR!!!"

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

On the subject of city generation, how about tweaking the terrain generation to respect cities?

I'm thinking specifically of modifying the higher detail terrain meshes to be a lot less random simply because they've got a city sat atop them and thus you'd expect the development of the city to impart some change back downwards to smooth things out and create flatter areas more suited to development (of said city).

That would solve two problems, firstly the intersection of buildings and terrain - where building is placed and the terrain changes height drastically beneath it; Secondly it will be easier to zone said city according to purposes like residential, commercial, industrial, spaceport, airport, seaport etc, perhaps even add in road/transport networks in the future.

Andy

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Issue 7 is our best thinking on it so far. Basically feed the list of starports to the terrain engine and let it flatten out the terrain a bit based on distance. It will be more complicated than that, of course.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Hmm, perhaps the city can push it's centre point + desired height + radius to the terrain node that it's in and that could cascade down, so terrain patches within that radius just get the height value, ones on the intersection get blended and finally ones outside get fully unconstrained terrain generation.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

This was taken just before the new stellar terrain, but is nonetheless awesome. You can see the Lynx on my scanner, and you can see how fast we're both going. We're in orbit around the sun!

h8WhTl.jpg

How did it wind up here? It was parked outside a space station, and I used the Lua console to tell it to do something else. The hard part was actually staying near it as it flew to this orbit.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

AcesHigh wrote:

I quite like the idea, and the way you did a mock up of it! 😀

I guess it comes down to a matter of taste so... instead of saying "this is the way we should do cities" how about we have several ways?

Perhaps pick them based on some parameters like the faction stuff that people have discussed in the past.

This would probably tie in quite well with my much delayed Orbital code allowing us to have selections based on species+faction. Obviously this is upto each of us that is interested to do the implementation.

Good link and mock-up work Aces

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Actually there's loads of good stuff in that thread, may necro-thread it later instead of polluting this one with further off-topic stuff.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

a powerful alternative would be to have cities spawn near space ports as far as economic develoopment goes they are like trade centers so associated infrusturcuture builds up around it. This could tie in with players helping to " develop" colonies or setting up their own mini empire in a remote area of space at some point and helping to build it up and so forth. Plunk down a space module and feed the colony or solar system materials and watch it slowly develop ( and degrade) based on other factors events trade piracy levels other missions and so forth. City generation is one thing that will tie into it

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

The effect that the player has on the universe in general should be practically undetectable. This was a massive failing of X; the universe was small, and after some hours of play the player was the most economically significant entity in it.

I don't think there's any way that a realistic colony could be founded on the efforts of one solitary trader. The player could, possibly, join in a venture to colonise something, if invited, but that would be something to be coded as plot, in Lua.

Anyway, I'm seeing a dearth of screenshots in this thread, which I shall perhaps remedy this evening.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
Brianetta wrote:
Anyway, I'm seeing a dearth of screenshots in this thread, which I shall perhaps remedy this evening.

And I really need to update the website.

ReplyQuote
Ziusudra
(@ziusudra)
Senior Chief Registered

[hsimg] [/hsimg]

Needed some fuel and thought this was a nice view.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I like that. We need to draw the rings in shadow rather than not at all 🙂

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

Let us re-live our Frontier days! Yes, I know you all did this.

yeX1El.jpg

WAAKnl.jpg

1IGLql.jpg

RU2jgl.jpg

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Nice screenshots Brianetta 🙂

I think we've all been there!

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

fluffyfreak wrote:
Nice screenshots Brianetta 🙂

I think we've all been there!

But not here:

eIzTfl.jpgkDGXhl.jpgvxafql.jpgI4CXCl.jpgIbDcVl.jpg

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

LRGs in Pioneer and by the looks of things, flyable too! 😎 But what about docking? Or are these actually flying space stations?

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 30