(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

The new vid show a lot possibility of what could be done  😎 

ReplyQuote
maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Cheers guys - yeh, it's just one of those things. I lucked out on getting exposure. 

But - that said - check out Void Destroyer on Kickstarter - it's awesome, and is pretty much what I wanted to do with Dominium (in part) - the guy's been slaving away for four years and just wants to get some art content finalised for it...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1718477862/void-destroyer

ReplyQuote
Dalkeith
(@dalkeith)
Senior Chief Registered

I can't believe that Massive Chalice have done so well with virtually no content

There's some kind of lemming thing that goes on once you get to a certain level in KS

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

That's a cool video. It would certainly make Dominium unique as far as I know of. I know it's been done in 2D to some degree but that would be very welcome to a lot of players.

One thing that would make it feel slightly more realistic, and I say this knowing that it was a WIP, is to exploit symmetry wherever applicable.

So for the ships you only really need to generate half of them and then mirror it since you'd expect one half of a symmetrical ship to mirror the other. It'll feel more like it had been purposefully designed.

Also having things like parallel corridors the run length and breadth. I think you could really go to town on tech like that 🙂

ReplyQuote
maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Cheers :0

Odd that you say that D1 - and good that you do 🙂 I do indeed have symmetry in there (probably not in the video though - I think I forgot!). It can mirror length or width - or even by quadrant - each being suitable for certain purposes. ie. quadrants for tower blocks, etc. and you are right - the results do feel more "engineered" than random that way. Certainly more natural for a ships deck.

The rooms are pretty naff atm - they just take up the majority of the floor space. The goal is to allow for structure (for ships) so the ship wouldn't collapse like a house of cards as soon as it moved 🙂

So nominated rooms (engineering, medical bay et al) within the "no go area" that is the structure - and then corridors to connect them - even "air ducts" - it's only limited by the time I can spend on it really 🙂

As for Void Destroyer - I didn't spot the big plug on the SSC home page 😉 so ignore my posting there as everyone already knows about it 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Latest vid from Maksw

That,s one big furball 😎

Kickstart seems to be being highjacked by developers with names attached to them and in the long term it could pose a problem for the indies to get funding.

ReplyQuote
maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Cheers for helping with the vid-linking Pinback - really appreciated! Time has been short here - so that's a great help 😉

The KS thing is just a natural evolution - I knew it was coming before SC came out - that's why I rushed to get Dom onto it - but was hobbled by it only allowing US bank accounts. 

Perhaps there's a market for "Indie only crowd funding" 🙂 but would that be IndieGogo... hmm... ponders 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Indiegogo main problem is not as popular as Kickstarter also IIRC it debits straight away.

I would also say that the 100 grand target may put people off, if not against the Kickstarter rules it may be better to run a number of kickstarts with smaller targets with each one adding something to the game rather than trying to get it all in one go.

ReplyQuote
maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yes, that's one of my issues with IG - I'm not a fan of their charging system.

Mini-funds are well within the Kickstarter realm. Take Void Destroyers $20k USD to finish up with art assets. It's an option for sure - but the trick is "deliverables" - it would make delivering the entire product in playable chunks very difficult - and take a lot more project management.

Once we have a pre-alpha, then I'll juggle the options - would KS'rs go for a "Get us to Beta" fund perhaps? Something to think on 🙂

ReplyQuote
maksw
(@maksw)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Newsletter to be coming soon btw for those interested!

Visit http://dominium.maksw.com and the subscribe form is near the top right 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2