Notifications
Clear all

Any REAL space SIMULATOR games out there?

danjako43
(@danjako43)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I've seen Pioneer and Space Engine. Sadly, Space engine is very unstable, and it feels really lonely playing that "game." I don't think you can even call it a game. All you do in space engine is fly around and zoom in onto planets that have absolutely nothing on them.

Pioneer, on the other hand, does have some civilizations and trading and stuff.

Pioneer does offer a galaxy with a ton of stars, each with many planets, to explore. The only problem is that Pioneer doesn't let me get down on the planet and walk around as my "avatar." So pretty much i'm stuck on the ship...which isn't fun at all.

Is there a space simulator game that is so complex that it lets you walk on a planet (and do cool stuff like shooting stuff and collect planetary artifacts or specimens), enter your spaceship, fly away into space, let you walk around on your spaceship's hull/deck and customize your spaceship. All the while, there is a whole big galaxy to explore. Each planet has good details and a few has advanced civilizations to trade or go to war with or whatever.

I'm kind of looking for a merge of Mass Effect with Ifinity: Quest for Earth.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

danjako43 wrote:

Is there a space simulator game that is so complex that it lets you walk on a planet (and do cool stuff like shooting stuff and collect planetary artifacts or specimens), enter your spaceship, fly away into space, let you walk around on your spaceship's hull/deck and customize your spaceship. All the while, there is a whole big galaxy to explore. Each planet has good details and a few has advanced civilizations to trade or go to war with or whatever.

I'm kind of looking for a merge of Mass Effect with Ifinity: Quest for Earth.

Short answer would be no.

On the other hand there have been a number of games which have tried to do this over the years with varying degrees of success. But none of them have every feature you are looking for and they all lean more to the arcade side of gaming.

Precursors the best one so far but does have some show stopping bugs and is very much unfinished.

viewforum.php?f=42

Universal combat unplayable

Parkan 1&2

Some upcoming games with planets exploration in them

Salvation Prophecy

viewforum.php?f=51

Evohron

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2596

Notchs game

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/viewto ... =10&t=1923

Theres a few other which have or will have some ship/station action

Like Rogue System or Ensign 1 http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=81

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Shores of Hazeron

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

Blah64 wrote:
Shores of Hazeron

what he said it needs a great deal of programming work though

ReplyQuote
danjako43
(@danjako43)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Shores of horizon doesn't look so pretty. The whole thing about space exploration is to immerse oneself in the expansiveness and beauty of space. If Notch makes a crappy-graphics minecraft-like space game...I'd be really sad.

lol, the most fanatical of us here are seriously born in the wrong age. If you can't do it in real life...do it in a game....but...there's no game to do it in, so...do it in your head (dreaming)? 🙁

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

Or... do it yourself

ReplyQuote
OSH
 OSH
(@osh)
Master Chief Registered

Battlecruiser Millennium Gold.

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@overlord)
Master Chief Registered

I'd say Shores of Hazeron ticks most of the boxes you want apart from graphical beauty. If it looked as good as Pioneer now that would be something to behold. Someone in game development will need to explain why thats not easy though...

ReplyQuote
Legion
(@legion)
Petty Officer Registered

Shores of Hazeron is customizable if you have the talent to re skin the textures. You would be the only one to see it though. Hands down SOH is the best space sim, and once you get up off the planet the graphics aren't as terrible.

ReplyQuote
SuperbatPrime
(@superbatprime)
Petty Officer Registered

'farcodev' wrote:

If you talking about a NON sci-fi real space sim, the only one out there is Orbiter:

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Orbiter's good...and it has enough mods to decently do most of what OP wants.

...and the simulator aspect is a nice steep curve, starting out even getting into a stable orbit from the ground manually (and getting home again with everyone alive) is a genuine challenge.

Edit: ...and it can be plenty scifi if you want, I owned a rather nice starship in Orbiter, you could even fly it from the bridge.

ReplyQuote