Notifications
Clear all

Prospecting Mods

NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Warrant Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'm finding the Mola Transport to be almost the perfect ship for Autonomous combined mining and scooping operations but have some thoughts on how to improve things.

The Mining Cannon is just too big... it's ridiculous that you only need 7T of extra mass to collect hydrogen but 17T to collect ReMass. The fact that you can also collect lots of other things (and dump loads of other random materials into space) is nice but not really enough to be worthwhile.

I say get rid of it completely, either normal weapons could be used for mining or special missiles (replacing the current dumbfire). A lot of ships lately only have a front weapon mount so it's a choice between mining and fighting ability. A larger cannon would blast out more material, so a big ship with a big hold to fill would still need a bigger weapon to do it but even a small ship like a Wave could make a go at prospecting...

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I still think that landing and mining makes more sense than blasting bits off a planet and trying to scoop them up.

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Topic starter  

In the meantime I figured I'd try to add some bodies to Sol System... Ceres as a reference for the Main Belt and then a few random asteroids and stations in similar orbits.

I'm making a bit of progress in figuring out the structure but is there a reference somewhere I can check to make things quicker?

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

You mean a reference for the large asteroids in the solar system?

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Topic starter  

Wikipedia has all the data about specific Celestial Bodies I need. What I was hoping for was some kind of reference as to how to translate that data into code Pioneer can use. I'm looking at the Information for various moons and dwarf planets and trying to match it with the figures from Wikipedia in order to get an idea of what the numbers mean. I know there has to be a better way, I'm just fumbling along, really 🙂

ReplyQuote
NeuralKernel
(@neuralkernel)
Topic starter  

Asteroid Belts, Trojan Clusters, Planetary Rings and the like really seem like they would be handled best in a procedural fashion in the long term. I just figure the closest (minable, Phobos and Diemos are inhabited) asteroids to Earth should be closer than Neptune...

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Ah, this has come up several times before I think, this is the problem with forums being a repository for this stuff.

I always find the conversion non-trivial but there are some easy ways to do it.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

There is the old Custom-Systems guide on the wiki which might help. Struggling to find the conversion examples I knew were around here previously though.

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Also if you find a nice procedural system ingame, you can export it to lua for further customization.

In console:

StarSystem:ExportToLua ()

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

For orbit distances it is something like semi_major_axis (AU, division factor)

ReplyQuote
TheBob
(@thebob)
Petty Officer Registered

Mining in Frontier/Pioneer seems mostly to be done by large-scale operations, i.e. bases on asteroids and planets. Which makes sense, really. I always thought it a bit strange that one could earn money by just going around on planets scraping up a few tons here and there. I mean, unless you find something really valuable, there's not much money to be made (which is actually represented pretty nicely by the Game, I think. Metal Ore and precious metals don't exactly enable a great payday).

Prospecting, on the other hand, is another matter. Here you only have to bring home sample, and what you're effectively selling is the information on where you found them and how much more of it there is. This could be realised relatively simple by scripting... The problem is, the system generator doesn't assign any values of for valuable resources to planets. You'd have to do that yourself, which is of course also possible, but it might lead to a bit strange results at times, what with not really having access to the exact planetary properties...

ReplyQuote