Notifications
Clear all

Faction Allocation Table...?

Irdwrwyn
(@irdwrwyn)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hullo, Forum.

I'm the one who was asking about easy ways to output system .lua files from the seed-generated systems so that I could tweak and customise them just for fun.

Well, pending some clever programming types adding such a feature, I've been tinkering with the existing files and I'm getting to be quite a dab hand at creating at least simple systems with relatively few errors...  I've found it's all about the brackets, really.

What I'd quite like to do now is set which stars I'd like to be included in which faction.  I can edit the factions for systems with their own .lua files, because there's a declaration in the file that sets the faction.  But what about the systems that don't have their own files and are built procedurally?  They're all defined in the local and bright stars files in terms of what their names are, their spectral type and location - but there's nothing in there to say who they should belong to.

I've had a look round some of the tables and can't find anything that lists faction allocations - so presumably it's all generated from a seed somewhere.  If that's the case I'll assume the 'simplest' way to edit them will be one-by-one as I create custom system files.  But if there's a way I can edit them in bulk from one file, that would be great... 🙂

DionisisK
(@dionisisk)
Petty Officer Registered

Hello,

i have been writing a branch from the main version of the game that includes 3 steps: export the generated star systems (and the custom ones too) into separate star systems .xml files, 2. load them into a database for reference and more research / tweak operations and 3. be able to export from the database these modified into .xml and/or .lua files. At the moment i have finished the step 1. and i am looking into the step 2. I don't have an ETC for the whole process, but i am intended to complete as soon as my IRL matters and time allow.

I am sure senior people would come out with much more elegant and cleaner solutions, i am just posting this in order to be known.

Best Regards

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Hi Irdwrwyn and DionisisK! I've been fooling around with factions too. What I've been doing is putting together different station types and building sets for the different factions so that they look visually different from each other. Right now they're separate mods that have to be manually swapped when you move from one faction to another. I'm not quite sure how to add and remove models based on factions yet. Any help from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
DionisisK
(@dionisisk)
Petty Officer Registered

Well, as me being very brand to the game and not a C++ programmer myself, I bet your best bet would be in discussing with devs on irc channel - this is what i do, harass those poor bastards 🙂 with questions :).

As far as i can see atm there exist only support on faction class for colour, what you describe is something different though  - a relation between factions and perhaps Spacestation/Systembody class, possibly some hook on model on SpaceStation - and as i said senior people can answer this question.

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered

LMR cannot access faction data - it lives in its own private world. It wouldn't be hard to expose it should someone want to cook up a patch. It may not be worth the effort though - all going according to plan, the new model system (SGModel) will land shortly after alpha 29, and will exist side-by-side for a few months until everything is moved over, then LMR will be gone. Which is not to say that models won't have a way to get faction data in the future, but the mechanism will be quite different.

(more info on SGModel coming soon, I promise - I'm just working on get 29 out the door first).

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I wrote the original factions stuff and this is all pretty damned cool stuff 🙂

@Irdwrwyn

Procedurally generated systems are assigned a faction based on whose faction volume they fall within. The idea being that factions spread from a central home system.

So to be clear, star system _can_ set what faction they belong too, but this is only meant to be done on an exceptional basis. It's an override essentially. If you don't give them a faction then they should get one from the factions system itself.

@all

There is a pull request up that Irigi has written that would allow you to export interesting systems but it needs some discussion it seems.

The ability to assign certain station types to certain factions is interesting, currently there's no script interaction with picking which stations are chosen for a system but I'm sure something could be done eventually.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

OK, I'll continue playing around with it and post it as separate mods when it's ready so people can check it out before LMR goes away. It's just for fun, anyway. Sort of a last hurrah before I dive into Blender. Dive into the Blender? This is gonna hurt!

ReplyQuote