Notifications
Clear all

Map Screen Delta-V Display

Coldwind651
(@coldwind651)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello, there.

I'm sorry if this is me being stupid, but I wonder if someone could point me towards some guidance on the use of the rather promising-looking (and new-ish, I'm thinking?) delta-v clickies on the solar system map display?

One of the nicest things about Orbiter - a long-time favourite space sim of mine - is the ability to plot Hohmann transfers and the like prior to making the burn; I love the idea of being able to do similar in Pioneer with these big old engines and no worries about fuel. 🙂

Just for fun, I'd love to be able to plot the sort of transfers I can do in Orbiter in Pioneer as well - but I'm afraid I'm not overly sure how to translate the info I get from the map's delta-v display into accurate manoeuvres in the cockpit.

I understand what the buttons do; I can nudge the projected trajectory to where I want it  - but once I've got the orbit that I want set up, how do I know when and for how long to execute the burn?  The StackExchange answer would of course be, "well, work it out mathematically by yourself and code a module to do it for you like anyone could in their sleep, you blithering fool, it's only orbital dynamics", but I'm hoping there might be some friendlier suggestions here.

I can see where the blue dot appears in the viewscreen, and I assume that's the orientation I need to take, but...  Then what?  As I burn of course that dot moves - but I can't see anything indicating whether I need to keep burning, or stop, or whether I've gone too far and need to reverse; do I need to chase the dot, or just let it sail off the screen?  Is there an autoburn function tied to the projection I've set up in the map?

Again, sorry if I've missed something obvious, but I'd appreciate any guidance that you could offer. 🙂

Thanks,

Coldwind

dvolk
(@dvolk)
Crewman Registered

The planned trajectory is what you would get if you did the burn immediately and instantaneously. There's currently on way to move it forward in time.

The way to do the actual burn is a bit awkward. When you orient yourself in world view, start burning, then switch back to system view. The burn will continue while you're in system view as if the keys were held down. Then when your trajectory is what you want it to be, switch back to world view and the burn will stop.

ReplyQuote
narical
(@narical)
Crewman Registered

I can see where the blue dot appears in the viewscreen, and I assume that's the orientation I need to take, but...  Then what?  As I burn of course that dot moves - but I can't see anything indicating whether I need to keep burning, or stop, or whether I've gone too far and need to reverse; do I need to chase the dot, or just let it sail off the screen?

Blue dot means your initial vector - it moves only because this vector is set relative to your actual trajectory which changes when you start burning.

ReplyQuote