Notifications
Clear all

Newcomer. Some feedback and a problem.

Page 1 / 2

PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

First, let me congratulate the developers for the huge and beautiful work done so far! I started playing the game a few days ago and I am loving it. 

Also here are a few ideas that come to my mind:

1. It would be great if you could label in galaxy sector view the systems in which you have been before and the ones you haven't. Just to have a sense of which tiny part of the galaxy I have explored so far.

2. In the bulletin board, on insterstellar mission adds, you should be able to know which faction the target system belongs to.

3. Trading and mining do not seem to be particularly lucrative (or at all) unless you have a giant cargo ship.

These are just some friendly design suggestions I would make.

But I have also encountered a problem with interstellar travel. When I try to go to certain systems, the game crashes, sometimes as soon as I get there, sometimes it takes a few minutes. This apparently only happens with certain systems. These are the ones I have encountered so far: Altair, Liaphi, Lalande 21185, Aur; I have forgotten to write down a couple more.

Keep up the good work!

nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Hi, and thank you. 🙂

On your feedback:

1. - Nothing to support that yet (UI wise for sure), but the newnew UI which is work in progress might eventually allow that.

2. - Factions don't really mean anything apart the color of the system currently.

3. - The whole trading is heavily in need of a rebalance for sure.

Maybe you could report that crash on our Github page, so we can track it. I'll check anyway, but I'm on the art side of things, so I can't really fix anything sadly, but the actually knowledgeable guys might spot the problem right away.

Edit: I tried jumping Altair, nothing happened.

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I just went back to Altair and it crashed again. Is it possible it has something to do with my own computer? Did you try landing anywhere? I was about 1.6 AU from one of the space stations when it crashed.

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

I wasn't able to crash it with traveling to a station there either. Tried it right now, I even kept time accel on the highest for a month or so after docking. Also tried it both on an orbital and a ground station.

If you next time experience the crash, could you post the output.txt and openGL.txt from the Pioneer directory either in your Home directory (Linux) or In your Documents (win)?

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Will do. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Also, were there any missions active at the time you experienced the crash?

Factions don't have much impact yet (although we would love to change that in the future) - except for crime.

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Sometimes there was a mission, sometimes not. Sgould I just copy and paste the text of those files here?

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Pasting them to pastebin.com would make it less cluttered in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Interesting tool. Here are the files from the las time I tried to travel to Ioho system. I have Windows 10, by the way.

opengl.txt: http://pastebin.com/0sD5e1Gc

output.txt:  http://pastebin.com/uLn3fz5U

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator

output.txt doesn't look complete, since it ends on half a word.

Do you have any modules/modds downloaded? Could be they crash your system due to stale code. Check your pioneer config folder. Consult FAQ on our wiki for how to do that.

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Well, that is the file I get, maybe that is part of the problem? No, I don't have any modules/mods downloaded.

Here is a new one, same system. It also ends in the middle of a phrase.

output.txt: http://pastebin.com/fqc0qMrN

opengl.txt:  http://pastebin.com/eDn8sYzV

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

A truncated "output.txt" usually just means that it's hard crashed before it could flush the file access.

I'll have a quick look a those systems to see if there's anything common too them.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Aside from a couple of these being very big systems I cannot see what else they have in common. Some of them are small/normal sized, they don't all have the same stars, or number of stars. It's very strange.

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Could it have to do with my own OS? Im on Windows 10, 64 bit. I installed the latest build just a week ago.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I don't think it's your OS. I'm on the same OS and build myself.

I'm trying out the downloaded version right now, rather than building it myself, but so far I'm not getting any crashes.

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I just tried unistalling an reinstalling from the start and tried some systems that had previously failed and one of them now did not crash, but two others did.

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Hmm, I remember there was an issue about the tradeships.lua crashing the game if a ship had too short hyperjump distance and some odd other circumstance. Can't remember how it turned up in the output.txt. It might worth a try deleting it from the data/modules directory and check if it happens without it.

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I just tried that. Keeps crashing. I even tried it starting a game at Earth and then beginning at New Hope and had the same result. 

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

We have different problems here. Consider a jump Los Angeles Earth to go to Mruk Town in Altair.

altair1.png

In the chart we can see that Altair is a "simple" system with a one Withe Giant Star.

altair2.png

But if we look in detail, we see that there is also a brown dwarf.

altair3.png

If we jump to the first selection of Altair,  Mruk Town is to 120.15 AU.

altair5.png

If, instead, we selected Altair f, Mruk Town is just 10.60 AU

altair4.png

altair6.png

It is understood this?

It is likely that the crash occurs when we jump to 120.15 AU Mruk Town. It is so?

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

I still can't reproduce in Altair. Neither when I jump to Altair or the brown dwarf, then traveling to said town. I'll try it a number of times just to make sure. 

@PabloSanchezGrobet: maybe you could jot down the system names where you encounter this to give a bigger pool to try on?

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I tried Walterar's suggestion, to see if it made a difference and it crashed both ways. But there was a difference: when I selected Altair A as hyperspace jump target, it crashed almost immediately after the jump; then I selected Altair f as target and then tried to navigate to Mruk town and it let me travel some distance before crashing, I was about 2 AU from target when it crashed, I don't know if that means anything. 

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I just found out something. It only crashes when I'm at normal view (F1). I jumped to Atair A, after the jump, I selected autopilot to vicinity of Mruk town, about 120 AU distance, and then quickly went to maps view (F2) and kept it the whole journey and it didn't crash. Then I had to go back to internal view again to tell the autopilot to dock with Mruk Town, again quickly went back to orbital view and everything was allright. But after the docking, it crashed immediately after I pressed F1 to go to normal view again.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Ah now that is more interesting, ok then my advice is to start the game, go to the Options, and reduce the planet detail settings to lowest then give it another go.

Maybe create a save game somewhere close to where the game crashes so that it's quicker for you to repeat in the future?

Also how much RAM do you have and how much is the GPU allowed to use?

ReplyQuote
impaktor
(@impaktor)
Pioneer Moderator

On a side note, if you're 120 AU out, then you've targeted the wrong star. Which leads to quite tedious game play.

ReplyQuote
PabloSanchezGrobet
(@pablosanchezgrobet)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I tried that, nothing worked. I even reduced all other graphics options to the lowest and deactivated other options like speed lines, compact scanner, star field density, tried different resolutions, and it still crashed. I have 4 GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce 630M graphics card.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2