Notifications
Clear all

Recent new stuff

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Its quiet around here. So lets spice it up with some screenshots of things that have been added to Pioneer in the last couple of weeks.

New ships: Malabar and Vatakara

From the Mandarava-Csepel ship yards, here's the huge Malabar passenger transport and its cargo-hauling variant the Vatakara.

QG3sV5Zl.png

8fbcWKel.png

Hull heating effects in atmosphere

When things get hot, your ship now tries to tell you about it.

aZXXqTOl.png

This is a first step - there's plans to make this much more impressive/terrifying in the future.

Shield meshes with hit effects

The old red sphere shields are gone, and now we have nice semitransparent shields that fit the shape of the ship. There's also some nice energy dissipation effect when you get hit.

NyyVGITl.png

Ship trails

Turn this on in the settings and you now get little lines showing where other ships have been.

zste9v9l.png

Cockpits

A cockpit with some small headlook effect when the ship moves. Right now its only a static mesh, and you need to add this mod to use it, though we're planning to include a nicer version in the standard build very soon. We're using this to explore some different styles and effects as we work towards a fully interactive cockpit (ie buttons and displays that really work).

Bo7H4Xfl.png

Ship trails will be available in the next build (20140118, available in the next hour). Everything else has been in builds for at least a few days. Now is a good time to try a new Pioneer build if you haven't for a while.

fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Awesome robn! 

I do love how this game is shaping up 🙂

Remember everyone, if you find a bug then take a look at our issues list  https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues?state=open  and if there isn't one for what you've found then open an issue to let us know what's wrong!

Alternatively if there is already and issue then feel free to add more information too it about what happened to you.

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Let me drop a line about the start of the re-balancing effort, paired with a survey to see how Pioneer plays for you. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Oh yea, Mod DB will go nuts when this baby lands at the end of the month!

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hi all.

The new features are amazing. The new GUI, trails and the experimental cockpit rocks.

But I would want to note something about the future cockpit.

Some of us (maybe just me... :D) play pioneer with a narrower or very narrow FOV. Me, specifically play with a FOV of 35 or 40 degrees. The 3d cockpit is practically out of screen with that FOV. My petition is if something could be done in the final version  to correct the cockpit display or aspect ratio in every FOV and display it in its fully glory.

And one more thing. I see that some models in the intro menu have glitches like textures dissapearing or models not showing correctly. Is just me? is it a known issue?

Greetings!

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

Hi

Adjusting cockpits to custom FOVs is a bit tough, and couldn't be guaranteed to look good on every FOV imaginable. Maybe the cockpit could be moved forward based on the FOV setting, but it would look like if it's quite far from the pilot. (Zooming tends to squash perspective and sense of scale).

16:9 <-> 4:3 difference is already taken into account tough. 

Are you referring to this bug? It's being worked on as far as I know.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

if widescreen and 4:3 are being taken in account, perhaps the final result could be good enough to fit a more variety of custom FOV.

But I have no idea if aspect ratio and FOV are interconnected in any sense. 🙂

zooming the cockpit is not ideal, as you comment, cockpit independent of the FOV could do the job?

Greetings

ReplyQuote
nozmajner
(@nozmajner)

FOV and aspect ratio doesn't really interconnected. In the game you specify vertical FOV, so aspect ratio changes doesn't messes with your "zoom" but adds a bit more to the sides on widescreen.

The problem with FOV independent cockpit is that it would most likely look off if the FOV difference is too big. And if it's kept the same size regardless of the FOV, then it will look distorted. Something like this (not my image): 

fov.gif

Zoom and mouselook possibility might alleviate the problem though.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I got it, Thanks for the clarification. 🙂

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

@nozmajner

That GIF bends my mind!!!

ReplyQuote
Thargoid
(@thargoid)
Senior Chief Registered

Looks good Robn.  You guys have been busy while I've been away and distracted.

ReplyQuote