Notifications
Clear all

Kotaku Article on Development of Star Citizen

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Here is a lengthy but nice read on the possible development challenges and troubles with Star Citizen and CIG. Doesn't read like a rant but Kotaku is trying to pull facts and opinions from devs that worked on the project at one time.

So give this a read and let us know your thoughts:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

wormhole
(@wormhole)
Petty Officer Registered

I think it is a great article which tells a bit about the journey of Star Citizen and CIG. Star Citizen is an enormous and most ambitious game ever so CIG has to solve all sort of challenges every day.

The upcoming patches Alpha 2.6 and Alpha 3.0 will be very important for the project. I recommend to follow their channels to see what they are working on - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/videos

We will hear more in CitizenCon 2016 on 9th of October. Interesting times.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Oh DEAR.

Pretty much sums up what everyone has suspected, too much feature creep.

ReplyQuote
wormhole
(@wormhole)
Petty Officer Registered

Oh DEAR.

Pretty much sums up what everyone has suspected, too much feature creep.

Not quite everyone - that's why they have collected $125M so far 🙂

They created a company from scratch and started to work on most ambitious game ever. They are solving very hard problems every day to make this "impossible" project possible. It shouldn't be a huge surprise if there has been some bumps on the road 🙂

Do you believe to the project yourself?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Think I'm pretty much on the fence with SC these days, when I backed the game it was for a small single player/online game with IIRC a 10 million goal.

ReplyQuote
wormhole
(@wormhole)
Petty Officer Registered

Think I'm pretty much on the fence with SC these days, when I backed the game it was for a small single player/online game with IIRC a 10 million goal.

Ah, OK. It is understandable that some players are disappointed that Star Citizen grew so huge project but hopefully you will be satisfied with Squadron 42.

I'm personally very happy that CIG tries goes towards huge scope because it has became clear publishers who would have enough resources are not interested create games like Star Citizen but space games like Battlefront, Mass Effect, Dead Space, etc.

ReplyQuote
Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered

The follow-up isn't a bad read so far:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/26/the-24-year-feud-that-has-dogged-star-citizen

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Good read that and you have to wonder how much of the money have they burned through.

ReplyQuote
wormhole
(@wormhole)
Petty Officer Registered

The community has been pretty positive about these articles (not that Swedish magazine one) although the topics of those articles has been a bit clickbaity and of course anonymous sources takes away quite a bit of credibility. The articles has a bit negative tone and doesn't make clear if they are referencing the current state or history. I really hope he would answer the questions community has for him.

Rick Wordsworth from Kotaku UK contacted Star Citizen Reddit community today: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/553i3j/hello_citizens_rich_wordsworth_from_red_bull_and/

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

although the topics of those articles has been a bit clickbaity and of course anonymous sources takes away quite a bit of credibility

It's Kotaku we're talking about. They're always clickbaity as they ever been.

More followups

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/29/what-happened-to-star-marine-star-citizens-missing-module

By the next year anything bad happens on Star Citizen could probably generate a collosal-sized shitstorm that makes No Man's Sky drama looks like an ant.

ReplyQuote
wormhole
(@wormhole)
Petty Officer Registered

Last article in series: What to Make of Star Citizen

By the next year anything bad happens on Star Citizen could probably generate a collosal-sized shitstorm that makes No Man's Sky drama looks like an ant.

In the other hand we have been able to test/play Star Citizen for years now. It can fail just like any other software project. All we can do is to support them and hope they are able to deliver the games.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

I agree with Wormhole, a lot of people don't realize how much playable content is already out there for Star Citizen.  Hello Games gave precious little information on No Man's Sky, Star Citizen is pretty much the opposite scenario, I've never seen anywhere near so much information about a game before its release.  I suspect that the worst of Star Citizen's gaming media problems are still ahead of it, but one major difference in this case is that the worst of that will probably come from people who weren't paying very much attention during previous years.  

There is also a bit of a disconnect concerning how the pace of the development will actually work.  Star Citizen will work somewhat like EVE Online: it'll never have all of its features, but it'll be continually updated and actually already is playable.  Chris Roberts has termed things like this unambiguously once or twice, but I really think Cloud Imperium needs to work much harder to tell people how it's really going to work, because as it is they are going to get some really, really bad press.  

Most people seem to think of Star Citizen like it's an Elder Scrolls game or something: just one big release, maybe some expansions.  Unless Cloud Imperium can get people to instead think of it like it's something with a continuous update cycle that's never complete like EVE Online I think they are in for a world of hurt.  I think what will happen by the end of next year is that a bunch of people will be kicking and screaming that it is far, far behind schedule, meanwhile it'll actually be a very playable game with a ton of great features in it that only the people who understand the slowness of game development will get to appreciate.

ReplyQuote
wormhole
(@wormhole)
Petty Officer Registered

I suspect that the worst of Star Citizen's gaming media problems are still ahead of it, but one major difference in this case is that the worst of that will probably come from people who weren't paying very much attention during previous years. 

Yeah, most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some sort of class action coming as well at some point.

Chris Roberts has termed things like this unambiguously once or twice, but I really think Cloud Imperium needs to work much harder to tell people how it's really going to work, because as it is they are going to get some really, really bad press.

CIG has been concentrating mostly on technology so far to be able to build the living universe but pretty much from now, and from Alpha 3.0 at latest, they will be concentrating more and more to gameplay features.

Chris has been making fun of his schedules and announcements recently but he still gets very excited about things while he talking (he talks a lot) and make too big promises. He should try to get rid of that but since it seems to be part of his personality it is not that easy 🙂

The latest AtV showed first iteration of single seated ship scanning - and it wasn't good at all. The community got really alarmed but what was very nice to see is that how CIG handles those situations. In RtV next day the community is able to ask question about features showed in AtV and developers are able to explains things much more in detail. Fortunately we are able to test the system soonish and give them valuable feedback. It is all about iterations.

Same thing with the Cutlass drama. In 'Star Citizen: September Subscriber's Town Hall' Josh Coons tells more about his plans, communicate with the community in Reddit and forums, etc. It is pretty amazing how closely CIG works with the community and really wants to make the game the best as possible with them.

I really like how Star Citizen is developed. They have problems as anyone else but they work hard to solve them. Even their live presentations are really real gameplay which is not that common these days. All development version bugs and glitches are visible and crashes are common but they still want to show how it looks like and give it to community for testing as soon as possible.

It is clear that what ever CIG will do there will be articles about them and Star Citizen with the justified and unjustified criticism. CitizenCon, Alpha 2.6 and Alpha 3.0 will be very important for the project.

ReplyQuote