Notifications
Clear all

Starship Management game

xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I've been searching on this forum for an hour or so now for a certain kind of game but haven't been able to find such a game.

What I'm searching for is a game somewhat similar to, but more in depth and sandbox-like than the game Star Command. To be more in depth of what I'm looking for is a game that allows me to captain a ship and manage the crew, promoting, replacing, etc. as I see fit and going on missions or simply exploring new systems. I guess you can say I'm looking for a Star Trek starship simulator of sorts?

I'm really bad at explaining what I'm looking for, I hope that helps people understand! And I hope people can help me look for a game that can get close to what I'm looking for 🙂

kidpython
(@kidpython)
Crewman Registered

Well it is a coop game being put together by a 2 person company, but Leafy Games' Pulsar: Lost Colony is a pre-alpha post-kickstarter space sim that seems to be designed along the lines of what you might be looking for.

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I've heard about Artemis and Final Frontier, which are very similar to Puslar. I was thinking more along the lines of an RTS version of them, though definitely close to what I was thinking! Thank you so much for recommending it, I'll definitely check it out more.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Was going to suggest Void of darkness, Starpoint Gemini or FTL but they all more of a RPG style of gameplay.

Not sure about RTS games but Starship Corporation might be worth a look http://www.starshipcorporation.com/

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Pinback! Thanks for the awesome list! 😀

I've never heard of Void of Darkness so I will check that out! I have previously heard of Starpoint Gemini but I've never given it much of a look for some reason.. Now I regret it! The second one looks amazing!

I actually had the honor of backing and beta testing FTL and I love that game! My only disappointment is that I feel like there aren't as many options in ship customization as I had hoped and it felt a bit too linear in that you're always pushed towards the next sector and that there is an actual end to the game that is inevitable.

Lastly, I have also backed Starship Corporation a long while back as well and I enjoy its ship designing and can't wait for it to be fully complete, though it's as much of a headache to build a ship as it is challenging and exciting!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I had the same problem with FTL, if they ever get around to doing a sequel maybe it will be more open and having said that Interstellaria may be shaping up that way.

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I've seen Interstellaria and it looks really interesting and I love the concept of going to the surface of planets, but it feels like there won't be much you can do with the ship, considering it's so small. I'm sure it can grow, but I dunno.. I'm getting tired of the 2D side scrolling games that have been coming out as of late to be honest. But that's just me haha

I'm more than sure FTL will have a sequel, it did really well in sales I believe and it was a great game disregarding all the qualms I personally have with it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Interstellaria Alpha is out on the 18 will find out then.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)
Warrant Officer Registered

Shores of Hazeron.

www.hazeron.com

http://hazeron.com/welcome.html

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

That... That actual looks like exactly what I was looking for... Though I don't want to get my hopes too high, this seems to outline everything I'd be interested in in a game! The fact that it's an MMO puts me off ever so slightly because they tend to tire me out a bit... But I've already downloaded it in hopes that it's what I'm looking for. Thanks so much robske!

ReplyQuote
Darrell999
(@darrell999)
Crewman Registered

This is a great thread!  Petty Officer, I'm waiting for the exact same type of game.  Hope to see more info added here.

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

http://www.flagshipgame.com/

One more one other just linked me when i mentioned this topic.

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

So I've tried Shores of Hazeron and I cannot even get the game started because it's so complex haha But I think the idea is pretty spot on, just very graphically unpleasing and super confusing.

As for Flagship, that looks amazing as well, though it's far too early on to say any further. Would love to get my hands on it and give it a try though nevertheless!

Thank you again robske 🙂 And welcome to the forums Darrell999!

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

Welcome 😉

www.ltheory.com

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

That last one actually seems extremely promising and I've gone ahead and emailed the developer to probe more about the game haha

I think I'm going to go ahead and compile all these games into a huge list as its own thread! I just don't know what genre to put these babies under... Starship Management doesn't really encompass them well.. Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

Starship Management games. Fits the bill quite well honestly 😛

Starship Command Simulators. That's another term covering the meaning imo.

Got plenty more games, but that would derail this thread from its original purpose.

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Send me them via PM, I would LOVE to go through them one by one :DD I've been really interested in all your suggestions so far! And I think Starship Command Simulators is a much more professional sounding name haha

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

Professional. How an unfitting word for my clumsy nerdiness. But well, sometimes you get eureka moments 😉

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Bah, clumsy nerdiness is astute professionalism on a sci-fi forum, no? 😛

ReplyQuote
robske
(@robske)

Kinda 😉

But sometimes I am considering myself a mix of Vir and Delenn. The clumsy part really being recognizable as Vir.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Flotilla might be worth a look http://www.blendogames.com/flotilla/

ReplyQuote
xinsavior
(@xinsavior)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I have Flotilla, definitely a very good game, requires you to really think about every action. But it's not what I'm thinking of. Thanks for the recommendation though!

ReplyQuote