Notifications
Clear all

Project Simerge

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I found this today when looking for some space sims under development. Still early development and from what I read the game cross between X3 and Independence War 2. Right now devs are working on the graphic engine and you can see that work when you go to there website. Looks like things are going nicely and that terrain engine looks pretty good. The devs are concentrating on this to be a single player game that is open ended and geared towards economy and trading and of course combat.

Take a quick look and they are looking for developers and testers, see their blog for more info on that.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Got a quick message from the developer of this sim and he tells me that you might have to have X3 and Iwar-2 installed since this is a cross-over style mode that will use files from both games. This is a unique concept and will be watching it for some videos of the game play.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Interesting project this,any news on when he going to release anything.Looks like there may be a use for

X3 Reunion after all. 😆

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Here is a few early pics of the X3 and Iwar2 mod...

screenshot%20nebula%202.jpg

screenshot%20nebula.jpg

I asked some question on whether it could be used with Terran Conflict and haven't got a reply yet. I would probably have to go and buy the X3 gold package if it isn't because no sense in buying the original Reunion when Terran Conflict 2.0 is coming out in a few days.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Did you ever hear back from the guy doing this D1,I had a look on his site and he still seems to be working on it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

No I never did hear back. But the project is moving slowly, I know personally the mod should be upgraded to use Iwar2 and X3TC and not Reunion.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Hi Alesto

Do you have any WIP videos of Simerge that you could show off your work. I know it is an ambitious project to bring in the features from two different games and also add your own improvements.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This looks worth watching. Hope you will keep us updated Alesto. Oh! Welcome to the SSC! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

alesto wrote:
Thanks for the feedback on forum.

I have no vid now, but I can make one.

Would like to see a vid of the game in action.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Very impressive Alesto 😎 😎

Will you be able to walk about on the planets surface or is it just the ships and stations?. It looks like you are using the flight model from I-war and the graphic of X3,which other bit are you intending to use from the games?.

Will you retain the jump gate system that the two game use or will there be a free jump to any solar system?.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

alesto wrote:

Walking on planets should be possible too. This is a very interesting question, because many problems arise from it. One of the biggest questions is, how a colonization should look like. Currently I'm thinking of discrete distributed inhabited places rather than cities or any kind of urbanizations.

If you have ever read Peter F Hamitton night dawn book he has written a great description of what he descried as a first stage colony world, were the colonist have used shipping containers, local materials and even the colony ship as homes.

alesto wrote:

I wouldn't use any free jump concept. A jump node concept makes a game more interesting. This way you can define dangerous places which can limit travel possibilities. Also the player can get forced to cross such places when he wants to reach his destination.

Personally I always prefer have free jumps in sand box games as in the Frontier games, especially if there is more than 100 solar systems. Always feel that jump gates force the player into one direction and that you are being led around the game.

Although having said that I do think the best solution is too have both the free jump

And a jumpgate network,as it would give more options to the player.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Good point, when I say a game should have both, I meant that the jump gate system should be a limited one. If there is 1000 system in a game then the jump gates might only connect to 200 of them .the player would then need a ship capable of forming its own jump point, there might even be the option of building there own jump gates for anyone who wants to do a bit empire building.

There could also be reasons for having areas of space which can only be reached through a jumpgate like a great rift which prevents any free jump, which would still give the player the strategically elements to the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

alesto wrote:
So what I understood from your suggestion is that you want to have "clusters" of stars. A player could travel inside a cluster without any jumppoints and you only want to use jumppoints between two clusters. Am I right?

No but it’s a very good idea having cluster of star, connected by jump gates and jumpnodes, but still retain the freedom to jump between different system with in the star cluster.

Are you going to be adding fuel to the game.?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks like Simerge has been ported to Linux now.

ReplyQuote
Taquito
(@taquito)
Petty Officer Registered

Is the project dead? I hope not. This game has so much potential. I'm patiently waiting for news.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

any udpates ?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

According to sourceforge Simerge hasn't had any activity since March of this year.

ReplyQuote
RobSis
(@robsis)
Crewman Registered

Hi.

Is the current state of code on sourceforge compilable on linux? I’m trying to get it working, but new errors rise everyday as I'm doing so... I hope, one day, I’ll get it!

Comments are german and I don't really get all that TurboVision stuff... 😕

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

seems the creator got broed or died

ReplyQuote
RobSis
(@robsis)
Crewman Registered

Then we should take over and won't let it die! 😀 At least that's my plan, but first, I have to get it running...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Shame you can’t continue Simerge Alesto, hopefully some one may like to take a crack at it.

ReplyQuote