Question about Tuto...

Notifications
Clear all

Question about Tutorial Preference in Games

Apalala
(@apalala)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I'm curious to know what everything thinks about tutorials in the different games they play. My questions would be do you think they are an absolute necessity? Do you think they should be built into a game, or provided separately (e.g. on a website as movies or something)?

I tend to lean on tutorials that are built into the first mission of a game. I am one of those who just wants to play the game and so I dive right in (and am always grateful when there's help in the beginning). I wish I could say I was the kind of person to sit down and read a manual, but that's just not me!

We are currently working on some options for our own game tutorial, including one that would be part of the game itself vs. a series of tutorials that could be referenced instantly and freely from the website. I would love to know what gamers things about them in general, so that we have an better idea of what would suit our gamers best!

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This is a good question that I don't think has been asked.

I would agree to design it into the first mission, but maybe you can design a starting mission with or without tutorial. A simple checkbox during the mission brief to designate whether or not the player needs help with the controls should suffice. Or a simple 'How-To' video that covers the basics, any advance gameplay can be discussed in-game through help system or docs.

ReplyQuote
Apalala
(@apalala)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to have some insight from people on what they typically like when they first get a game.

ReplyQuote