Notifications
Clear all

White Knight Chronicles

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I have been waiting for this game for a while it came out in Japan just before Xmas and is going through translation now for the US/UK markets. How long do we have to wait who knows. I know the reviews are very good and people have been raving about this. And before you ask, yes this is a PS3 exclusive so this isn't planned for the Wii or Xbox360.

This is going to have 4 player co-op and over 100+ hours of game time. Finally a real good PS3 RPG to play while I wait for FF13.

Here is some videos with some english commentary:

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Well this gem is out in Japan and just waiting for it to be translated and cannot wait.... they say over 100+ hours of gameplay in the jrpg. Definitely a game to play while you wait on FF13 🙂

Here is the latest trailer:

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Still no release date but they did promise in Q1 of 2010 so we'll see if they make it. They even have some DLC content from japan that should be in the release by the time we (USA/EU) get it.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered

Is it turn based fighting?? I hope not... 😡

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Knight_Chronicles

Quote:

The battle system used in White Knight Chronicles uses a real-time combat system, where the battle mode is initiated automatically when enemies are present. Before a battle, the player optionally goes into the "Battle Preparation" menu (accessible at any time) and chooses a set of seven commands for each character in the party. This set of seven commands is called a "Function Palette", and several of these palettes can be saved, making tactical palette preparing and switching essential to the game. The commands can also be linked in order to create combos. These can then be used in battle, but before a player can perform these combos the character must attack when the enemy is vulnerable - otherwise the attack gets blocked or deflected. The player controls one of the characters, while the others are controlled by the AI, as also seen in the Tokyo Game Show trailer. Players, though, can freely change the character they're controlling. The main character can transform into the White Knight when a gauge is filled, using normal attacks on minor enemies. Characters can also perform combo attacks with other characters, such as one character holding an enemy while another attacks it. Boss battles also take place in a similar fashion except that they may include cutscenes for in-battle events.

Enemies can be attacked with various kinds of elemental attack magic, while the player can heal his or her own party by resorting to holy (recovery) magic. Magic is an essential part of White Knight Chronicle's battle system, but it comes with one pitfall. Magic skills do not improve a character's physical strength. This means magic users have to avoid enemy attacks. Among the featured weapons are two swords, which can be wielded in one or both hands. One of the swords is described as a handy all-around weapon, while the other is effective against larger enemies like trolls.

After defeating an enemy, players will obtain raw materials. While this occurs in both the story and online modes, some raw materials will only be obtainable in online quests.

Most JRPG's are not turn based and are real-time the combat engine in WKC is similar to FFXIII least in the videos I have seen.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered

Well the FFXIII videos I saw looked turn based to me, though I may have a different definition. When I press the attack button, I want the guy to swing his sword (or whatever). Sometimes they call it "real time' because technically the enemy has his own clock so he doesn't have to wait for you to attack before he can attack back. IE, if you take too long with your turn, the enemy will get 2 attacks in to your 1. But in a practical sense it still works out to be turn based.

You ever play KOTOR I or II? That was described to me as 'real time' by a friend, but in my book it was turn based and it was a big turn off to me. I was so pleased when the same developers made Mass Effect and decided to make the combat fully real time. It was such a drastic improvement in combat.

I always thought that developers were getting away from that type of combat and going more and more toward real time, because that's closer to real life. I was disappointed to see that FFXIII's combat hadn't evolved to that point. I also hate it when you're walking, no enemy in sight, and the POOF! All of a sudden you're in a fight. They really need to stop doing that garbage. I can't remember if the FFXIII videos I saw showed whether that was like that...

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Shant wrote:
Well the FFXIII videos I saw looked turn based to me, though I may have a different definition. When I press the attack button, I want the guy to swing his sword (or whatever). Sometimes they call it "real time' because technically the enemy has his own clock so he doesn't have to wait for you to attack before he can attack back.

I guess you could say it is turn based with that description, but it is fairly faced paced and won't feel like a turn-based game.I mainly play these types of game for the story and customization. The online features for WKC look great as well, not many RPG's let you play with your friends and especially make an entire town 🙂

Shant wrote:

You ever play KOTOR I or II? That was described to me as 'real time' by a friend, but in my book it was turn based and it was a big turn off to me. I was so pleased when the same developers made Mass Effect and decided to make the combat fully real time. It was such a drastic improvement in combat.

The game really is 'real time' if you don't pause the game to give orders and you jump from character to character. But from the videos you have shown of Mass Effect that is definitely a FPS/RPG style game which is fun as well as long as there is a story for me.

Shant wrote:
I was disappointed to see that FFXIII's combat hadn't evolved to that point. I also hate it when you're walking, no enemy in sight, and the POOF! All of a sudden you're in a fight. They really need to stop doing that garbage.

I hope there isn't going to be too much of that. I know from the videos I have seen of WKC it looks like all enemies are on the screen and you can try to avoid them if you want. I hope FFXIII doesn't continue to use that formula, I know I will still buy it anyway because of the story but I do like to play the story not be in fights all evening long 🙂

ReplyQuote