Clear all

Alpha 18 released

Page 1 / 2

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

The Pioneer development team are pleased to announce the release of Pioneer Alpha 18. A quiet release this month as befits the end of a quiet holiday period for the Pioneer team. New in this release are a few nice graphical tweaks, including multisampled-antialiasing, and a smattering of fixes and tweaks. Builds for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are available from the download page.

New features

[*:20xyixvh]Jettison cargo while landed/docked (#872)

[*:20xyixvh]Multisampled antialiasing. Set the "AntiAliasingMode" config value or change your graphics driver settings (#848)

Minor changes and tweaks

[*:20xyixvh]Target square now appears on specific docking port of station when clearance is granted (#836, #835)

[*:20xyixvh]OpenGL info saved to opengl.txt on game start (#857)

[*:20xyixvh]Background stars are now denser along the galaxy strip as you'd expect (#844)

[*:20xyixvh]Probability of hyperspace arrival now displayed during hyperspace (#55, #879)

Fixes

[*:20xyixvh]Fix incorrect galaxy density on OSX (#867, #869)

[*:20xyixvh]Fix crash in system info view if opened the first time on an unexplored system (#783, #876)

[*:20xyixvh]Fix memory overrun in modelviewer that would break z-bias when mouse wheel is used (#880)

[*:20xyixvh]Fall back to no-AA HDR and then no-HDR based on GPU features (#855, #878, #877)

[*:20xyixvh]Set minimal reverse thrust for Natrix so the autopilot doesn't get confused (#856)

Script changes

[*:20xyixvh]New event onCargoUnload triggered when cargo is jettisoned while landed/docked (#872)

[*:20xyixvh]SystemPath.GetSystemBody now checks to make sure the path is valid and throws a Lua error if it is not (#863, #864)

Internal changes

[*:20xyixvh]Refactored game and space state into discrete object (#833, #70)

[*:20xyixvh]Background starfield & galaxy strip code cleanup (#844)

Gfamad
(@gfamad)
Petty Officer Registered

Thanks for this new release. I'll try it as soon as possible.

That's cool to see there is a new release each month !

Gfamad

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

For 64 bit Linux users who are having library trouble, here is a native 64 bit binary. Download the 32 bit version as normal, then download the following file:

pioneer.bz2

The file must be uncompressed; you can use bunzip2 (a simple command line application) to do that if you don't already have a favourite archiver. This file simply replaces the file "pioneer" in the 32 bit download.

Do check your downloaded file. These are the checksums of the compressed file that I uploaded, and you should check that one or both are the same after you've downloaded it.

sha1 checksum: 5e9dcb2544d9d1881fbbd680820f2772f0850f91

md5 checksum: 6a6ae8d7a1588a563c0a6c9b1e3f1aea

oblegal: This file is distributed under the terms of the Gnu General Public License, version 3.0. The source for this binary code is available from Github. The binary file will be available for 31 days from the date of posting.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi robn

Thats great news 🙂

I will update my thread on the Frontier Forum 😉

ReplyQuote
m4r35n357
(@m4r35n357)
Petty Officer Registered

Confirmed now working on an older Ubuntu release (11.04). Thanks!

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

Nice update especially the additional content in temrs of missions and a few other bits to the api playing it for the last hour very nice

ReplyQuote
fooka
(@fooka)
Crewman Registered

running under Debian >6, getting:

$ ./pioneer

./pioneer: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

...but if it check it out from git and build it (from master), it works fine.

?!

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
fooka wrote:
running under Debian >6, getting:

$ ./pioneer

./pioneer: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

...but if it check it out from git and build it (from master), it works fine.

?!

You're on a very recent 64-bit Debian. Your ia32-libs has libGLEW 1.6, not 1.5 which Pioneer is linked against, so its ends up finding your libGLEW 1.5 which is 64-bit and so can't be used. I know this, because this is the same system as I use 🙂

Previous builds have been built for more recent Linuxen (Ubuntu 11), but I deliberately did this build on Ubuntu 10 so LTS users can use it. Building for yourself is the most reliable option on Linux at the moment. You could also try Brianetta's replacement binary from a few posts ago.

All this and more is why I'm considering dropping Linux builds.

ReplyQuote
fooka
(@fooka)
Crewman Registered

oh, i see..

Well I appreciate the linux builds, and I'm perfectly capable of downgrading my 32bit libs if that's what's needed. I just didn't know what the specific answer to this was.

I'm still learning git, so i'm not sure how to pull (or clone(?)) a specifc tag (specifically alpha18) yet, so the builds are convenient as I can only otherwise pull master, which i gather is missing merges or commits that might be in alpha18.

Don't let the freaks like me who insist on running debian unstable/testing/stable all at once, ruin it for those whom are even less adventurous under Linux and which appreciate precompiled binary builds. I'm sure there's more of them than there are of me.

cheers,

-m

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I'll probably do a bit of a survey of Linux users soon to find out what's really required.

If you clone the repository, it just starts on master but you get the alpha tags along with it. After clone, do "git checkout alpha18" and build from there.

Source downloads of just the tagged trees are available here: https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/tags . We should probably put links to those on the download page.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

fooka, have you tried the 64 bit binary I posted in this thread?

ReplyQuote
fooka
(@fooka)
Crewman Registered

robn wrote:
After clone, do "git checkout alpha18" and build from there.

thanks, worked wonders. I FEEL SMARTER!

ReplyQuote
fooka
(@fooka)
Crewman Registered

Brianetta wrote:
fooka, have you tried the 64 bit binary I posted in this thread?

haha, no! i totally missed that. >_<

it was worth it to learn the checkout thing anyway.

cheers!

ReplyQuote
xelamuz
(@xelamuz)
Crewman Registered

Heloo Help Me! Where to find instructions in the game, Pioneer-alpha 18?

ReplyQuote
Gfamad
(@gfamad)
Petty Officer Registered

xelamuz ,in the folder of the game, you have a Quickstart.txt that should help. But the best place to discover things is...in game ! For example, I discovered that without Hydrogen, you can't jump in hyper-space... Funny when you are lost in space, far from nothing !

Gfamad

ReplyQuote
xelamuz
(@xelamuz)
Crewman Registered

Gfamad wrote:
xelamuz ,in the folder of the game, you have a Quickstart.txt that should help. But the best place to discover things is...in game ! For example, I discovered that without Hydrogen, you can't jump in hyper-space... Funny when you are lost in space, far from nothing !

Gfamad

But I have on this page only Quickstart.txt keys! But I wanted to see a description, or a list of tips on the game!

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/postin ... 5&p=25878#

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

I started on a manual, but the game changes too quickly to keep something like that up to date.

The principles of the game are largely the same as those of Frontier: Elite 2.

You can buy and sell on the commodities market, take missions on the bulletin board, buy and upgrade ships in the shipyard, when docked. Do all of this with the mouse.

The eight main console buttons are activated by the F1-F8 keys or the mouse.

F1: Change view.

F2: Use the map system.

F3: Look at your own information.

F4: Select targets, operate autopilot and communicate.

The next four buttons change function depending on the first four. Hover the mouse over them to see what they do.

F5 turns off the autopilot, and changes between manual flight and set speed flight

To fly your ship manually, the keys are:

Q: Roll left

W: Pitch forward

E: Roll right

A: Yaw left

S: Pitch up

D: Yaw right

U: Ventral thruster (slide up)

I: Aft thruster (go forwards)

O: Dorsal thruster (slide down)

J: Starboard thruster (slide left)

K: Forward thruster (go backwards)

L: Port thruster (slide right)

In "set speed" mode, the keys are:

Q: Roll left

W: Pitch forward

E: Roll right

A: Yaw left

S: Pitch up

D: Yaw right

Enter: Set speed faster

RightShift: Set speed slower

You can also steer the ship with your mouse while holding the right mouse button.

To jump to another system, use the map (F2) and click on another system. Systems with ports are labelled in blue. You need enough Hydrogen to get there, and it must be close enough for your ship. F7 will start the hyperdrive.

To fly to a station, press F4, and select one from the right. You can turn on the autopilot with the buttons on the left.

Trade is hard. Deliveries are fun, but can be hard. You can cheat extra money by pressing Ctrl+M.

Saved games are not guaranteed to load in different versions of Pioneer.

The universe might not be the same in the next version of Pioneer.

Anything can change. The game is not finished, and we would like feedback.

If I've forgotten anything really important, others will almost certainly join in. If you have any questions, you can ask here or on IRC.

ReplyQuote
Robsoie
(@robsoie)
Petty Officer Registered

I have always lots of fun with Pioneer, took a few screenshots of my explorations over the solar system and beyond with alpha 18 and it is always immersive, i wish i had a better enough system to fly very smoothly at the increased details of my screenshots 🙂 .

Landing on Deimos, wondering about some sort of anomaly, watching terraformed Mars above

BRybns.jpg

Flying over the Titan canyons, with Saturn on the horizon

Wq0Jms.jpg

Monitoring those strange yellow substances on Atlantica, under the sun of another system

vwTmEs.jpg

At some distance, in orbit of Halee, watching the stars

kPN0ys.jpg

Hoovering near Halee's ground, analyzing the atmosphere

dx3d2s.jpg

Watching C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate ... oops that's for something else.

Some much occasion to be amazed with Pioneer

Back into the solar system, puzzled by the mysterious Charon "crater" 😉

jHAIos.jpg

ReplyQuote
xelamuz
(@xelamuz)
Crewman Registered

Hello !I want to ask is , whether the update, cheats , mods for Pioneer? posting.php?mode=reply&f=35&t=2614#

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

xelamuz wrote:
Hello !I want to ask is , whether the update, cheats , mods for Pioneer?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Can you rephrase it? Or post the question in your own language and we'll use Google translate to work it out. 🙂

ReplyQuote
xelamuz
(@xelamuz)
Crewman Registered

How to start the game, where you can raise capital good ?Thanks in advance !

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

Ah ha! Understood 🙂

Currently the easiest way is to cheat. You can press Ctrl-m and the game will give you more money.

This is useful if you just want to fly around in a big spaceship and have some fun, but isn't really the best way to actually "play" the game 😆

For actually playing the game to earn money I look for jobs on the ingame message boards taking parcels from one star system to another, when I've found a few that are all going to the same place I look at what they want to buy in the destination system, and what is cheap to buy in the system I am currently in and then load up on whatever will probably have the biggest price difference. It helps if you've been to a system before and know what things will sell at a good price.

Andy

ReplyQuote
xelamuz
(@xelamuz)
Crewman Registered

Sorry to write a message illiterate !Sorry to write a message illiterate !Describe a few examples: who, where to stop and go?

ReplyQuote
xelamuz
(@xelamuz)
Crewman Registered

Why do we need this program modelviewer.exe.How do I use it?

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/postin ... 35&t=2614#

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

xelamuz wrote:
Describe a few examples: who, where to stop and go?

Why do we need this program modelviewer.exe.How do I use it?

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/postin ... 35&t=2614#

It's a game of exploration, and because it's randomly generated the various offers available on the message boards at space station and on planets continually changes, the prices should all stay the same on each planet but I don't have a list myself. Perhaps other can help you out but part of the fun is discovering this stuff for yourself.

Don't feel bad about using the "Ctrl-m" cheat at the moment. This is "Alpha" stage software and so things aren't balanced yet and it can be very hard to make an honest living in the game sometimes.

The modelviewer is used to examine the ships in the game, you don't need it to play Pioneer.

Andy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2