Alpha 4 (may fix lots of crashing)

Page 1 / 2

tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi people,

I've decided to do another alpha release, although not a huge amount has been done since the last one in August, since I've just fixed a bad bug that could cause crashes for any player who has looked at the bulletin board (yeah... nice)

http://pioneerspacesim.net/download

Changes:

* That major crashing bug fixed

* Milkyway background in space. looks nice

* Autopilot can now dock with space stations

* Some new ship models

* Various other wee fixes

Have fun!

Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Thanks Tomm! 😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yay! Alpha 4! Thanks Tomm, looking forward to trying it out. 😀

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I will definitely give this a run when I get home today. Thanks Tomm for the update.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

so sad, autopilot can dock to spacestations now 🙁

can't we make the autopilot super expensive?, depending on reputation maybe?

i mean, the whole manual docking is so cool (and even the travel), i never wanted more 😉

ReplyQuote
DevonX
(@devonx)
Crewman Registered

Nice 😀 Would be more than very nice with a autopilot to land on planets. 😀 Edit i still got the bulletin glitch crash after death. When i open the menu after i have died the game freezes and crash.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I will have to play with this, but maybe use proximity to a station to just bring up the question about docking 'Do you want to manual dock or auto dock?'

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Great! I just tried it here at work, will give it a more thorough tryout this evening when I get home. The new starfield looks great! I've only played for 5 minutes so I can't tell whether or not the game has become more stable. So far, the game usually crashed at starports after asking for takeoff clearance or when I jumped to a sector with lots of pirate traffic. The planets orbiting Van Maanen's Star, for instance, can't be reached on my computer with alpha3. It crashes as soon as I get in the vicinity of a planet (with 3 or 4 pirates chasing me).

Quote:
so sad, autopilot can dock to spacestations now

i mean, the whole manual docking is so cool (and even the travel), i never wanted more

Lol, agreed. I like manual landing too!

But in order to make a perfect Elite remake, I guess every Elite feature must be included. I do hope, that as soon as the remake is completed, the developer (Tomm?) will continue with a second version of Pioneer with its own identity. Of course, that's all up to the developer. It's his party. I feel Pioneer can move beyond Elite and become even better than Elite ever was (I know it sounds like blasphemy ) if, for instance, there would be additional gameplay elements, more random traffic, more advanced onboard computers, i.e. for scanning planetsurfaces from orbit, a more advanced cockpit maybe with targeting MFD's, etc. Maybe, if the engine would allow it, even the ability to exit the spacecraft in a spacesuit so you can hop around on the surface. Or drive around in a moon buggy (I'm no programmer so I don't know how hard it is to do). Or build a little mining or science station. Command more than 1 spacecraft through a ArmA 2-like command interface. Even only 1 of these features would tremendously add to the atmosphere i.m.o.

I really think it would be nice to have 2 games: 1 perfect Elite remake for the purists and a 2nd game with extra features.

I love Elite but I would also love to see extra gameplay features after the original remake is complete. Elite, although brilliantly complex, has always been lacking certain features and i.m.o. space was always a dead, silent place.

Oh man, I just hate having to ask for such things, makes me feel so ashamed 😳 Please don't look at this as whining or demanding. You've already done a great job making Pioneer the way it is. Only take my wishes seriously as long as it's relatively simple and doable since there is only Tomm and maybe a few others.

ReplyQuote
DevonX
(@devonx)
Crewman Registered

KingHaggis wrote:
Great! I just tried it here at work, will give it a more thorough tryout this evening when I get home. The new starfield looks great! I've only played for 5 minutes so I can't tell whether or not the game has become more stable. So far, the game usually crashed at starports after asking for takeoff clearance or when I jumped to a sector with lots of pirate traffic. The planets orbiting Van Maanen's Star, for instance, can't be reached on my computer with alpha3. It crashes as soon as I get in the vicinity of a planet (with 3 or 4 pirates chasing me).

Quote:
so sad, autopilot can dock to spacestations now

i mean, the whole manual docking is so cool (and even the travel), i never wanted more

Lol, agreed. I like manual landing too!

But in order to make a perfect Elite remake, I guess every Elite feature must be included. I do hope, that as soon as the remake is completed, the developer (Tomm?) will continue with a second version of Pioneer with its own identity. Of course, that's all up to the developer. It's his party. I feel Pioneer can move beyond Elite and become even better than Elite ever was (I know it sounds like blasphemy ) if, for instance, there would be additional gameplay elements, more random traffic, more advanced onboard computers, i.e. for scanning planetsurfaces from orbit, a more advanced cockpit maybe with targeting MFD's, etc. Maybe, if the engine would allow it, even the ability to exit the spacecraft in a spacesuit so you can hop around on the surface. Or drive around in a moon buggy (I'm no programmer so I don't know how hard it is to do). Or build a little mining or science station. Command more than 1 spacecraft through a ArmA 2-like command interface. Even only 1 of these features would tremendously add to the atmosphere i.m.o.

I really think it would be nice to have 2 games: 1 perfect Elite remake for the purists and a 2nd game with extra features.

I love Elite but I would also love to see extra gameplay features after the original remake is complete. Elite, although brilliantly complex, has always been lacking certain features and i.m.o. space was always a dead, silent place.

Oh man, I just hate having to ask for such things, makes me feel so ashamed 😳 Please don't look at this as whining or demanding. You've already done a great job making Pioneer the way it is. Only take my wishes seriously as long as it's relatively simple and doable since there is only Tomm and maybe a few others.

Its sad its still as unstable 🙁 i cant even change the camera or press the fast forward button, open and close the menu without it crashing.... It worked fine in the start but it have just gotten worse and worse. Kinda strage :S

ReplyQuote
Kr0wz
(@kr0wz)
Crewman Registered

Hello,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread but I'm getting a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error" message when trying to run Pioneer exe.

I've tried running Alpha 3 and same thing.

My PC specs are a bit old and don't know if that maybe has anything to do with it.

ReplyQuote
pagroove
(@pagroove)
Master Chief Registered

Mmmm,

Game still crashes at Alpha centauri B-H. (multiple computers)

ReplyQuote
doomdark64
(@doomdark64)
Petty Officer Registered

yeah im gutted too this will be brilliant when its done but im running it on a x64 win 7 laptop with gt 240 and 1.8 gig of video memory and it crashes like crazy:(.

ReplyQuote
doomdark64
(@doomdark64)
Petty Officer Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:
so sad, autopilot can dock to spacestations now 🙁

i mean, the whole manual docking is so cool (and even the travel), i never wanted more 😉

dont buy a docking computer 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Kr0wz wrote:
Hello,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread but I'm getting a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error" message when trying to run Pioneer exe.

My PC specs are a bit old and don't know if that maybe has anything to do with it.

Hi Kr0wz, welcome to the SSC, did you check on the Pioneer site that you also need the Micro$oft Visual C++2008 package? Here is a link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Hope that helps you! 🙂

As for the multiple crashes, patience people, patience, Tomm will get all those bugs in time. Remember Pioneer is still in Alpha so aways to go yet. 😉

ReplyQuote
Kr0wz
(@kr0wz)
Crewman Registered

Geraldine wrote:
Kr0wz wrote:
Hello,

Hi Kr0wz, welcome to the SSC, did you check on the Pioneer site that you also need the Micro$oft Visual C++2008 package? Here is a link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Hope that helps you! 🙂

As for the multiple crashes, patience people, patience, Tomm will get all those bugs in time. Remember Pioneer is still in Alpha so aways to go yet. 😉

Yes I made sure to install those files.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Mmmm this is puzzling. You said your system is old. What OS are you using? If XP are you using SP2?

ReplyQuote
Kr0wz
(@kr0wz)
Crewman Registered

Geraldine wrote:
Mmmm this is puzzling. You said your system is old. What OS are you using? If XP are you using SP2?

In the sense that it's a P4 with an old ATI 128 mb Radeon 9700 grafix card. I'm using XP sp 3 btw.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Kr0wz

Your system should be able to run it, perhaps you are still missing some runtime libraries? Could you post the exact error message you are getting? Perhaps someone could spot your problem. Also did you try the Alpha 4 version? Does this get the same error? Bug reports are helpful as it helps Tomm track them all down.

ReplyQuote
Kr0wz
(@kr0wz)
Crewman Registered

Geraldine wrote:
Hi Kr0wz

Your system should be able to run it, perhaps you are still missing some runtime libraries? Could you post the exact error message you are getting? Perhaps someone could spot your problem. Also did you try the Alpha 4 version? Does this get the same error? Bug reports are helpful as it helps Tomm track them all down.

Exact message as follows:

Runtime Error!

"Path"

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

There, hope that helped...I hope the "support team" can assist me. 😛

Yes, I've tried alpha 3 and 4! (as mentioned above)..and sorry that's the only error I get after CTD.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

use only redistributable pack of MS VC, check for older installs or parallel SDK.

Direct X 9, installed? (redist, no sdk)

Open GL only supported down to v1.4, i guess, could be a reason to.

i have the same GFX card in a older pc, i guess only open gl 1 fully supported, but i'm not shure, havn't played pioneer on this computer. but as example, i could only run GLFFE nics mod, because of the open gl2 is needet for the others.

if the gfx card only supports up to open gl1, there could be problems.

but it's hard to tell from far.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

milky way? no big deal just the slight milky colored ribbon you see

the "radar", scanner must be baught, the same goes to the autopilot, engage with F4

had that "shader problem" too on my old machine, since NVIDIA it's gone

i didn't think it's the grid.

maybe disable antialiasing and or multisampling off or mipmapping off could help, try to fiddle around with that a bit.

each have advantages

ati tiles textures different, in i.e TWPGA2000 the ground is tiled with different sized tiles which looks quiet good even when the texture is very repetive, nvidia tiles them regulary which looks stupid like a chessboard.

btw, nice to see pioneer get's slowly more and more attention

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Quote:
each have advantages

ati tiles textures different, in i.e TWPGA2000 the ground is tiled with different sized tiles which looks quiet good even when the texture is very repetive, nvidia tiles them regulary which looks stupid like a chessboard.

Interesting... is this also the case with more modern games? Is there a difference in Pioneer visually, when using ATI instead of Nvidia graphics cars?

I've only played the Alpha4 for half an hour by the way. In those 30 minutes gameplay, the game only crashed once. It was immediately after I loaded a savegame. With the older version, I used to have crashes every 10 or even 5 minutes so I guess there is progress.

Pioneer rules! It's awesome, whiii 😀

ReplyQuote
RedRiver
(@redriver)
Petty Officer Registered

speaking of saved games. how come there isn't an option to delete them?

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

let's say that would be a nice extra, but the folder is known so you can delete or move them whenever you like.

what i would wish is a support for folders in the savegame directory, like i used them in FE2, every career or test games can be stored into a own folder, but even that is not important.

the missions list could be, i'm not shure which is best, maybe deleted after a year or month (each entry separate).

or turned over so that the recent missions are on top, then they don't have to be deleted and it becomes like a log.

a real log would be a quiet interesting feature.

and a "design" comment, i didn't like the new starfield (background) as much as the old, to many stars imho, or they should be spread wider and stand closer where is the diffuse milkyway, that would be a option.

to the crashfix i can't say much, it still does sometimes (mainly after dead when reloading a game, press then any button and...), but it was running same as good before on my system (ok, i didn't played more then half a hour until now i was busy whith my new buildings and some model refinements). a different lightsource in the station would be cool, i can fix the walls and floor to receive no light but i have no influence on the ship how (or if) it reflects environmental light.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Is it just me or are the city buildings slowing everyone else down a lot too? I tend to have to use city size small or sometimes medium for it to be playable, with planet detail set to very very high.

My Graphics card is actually a lot better than my cpu (GTX285 2gig vs q6600), so I would have thought it would be the other way round, trouble with processing planet and no trouble with viewing lots of models.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2