Alpha 4 (may fix lots of crashing)

Page 2 / 2

tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
s20dan wrote:
Is it just me or are the city buildings slowing everyone else down a lot too? I tend to have to use city size small or sometimes medium for it to be playable, with planet detail set to very very high.

My Graphics card is actually a lot better than my cpu (GTX285 2gig vs q6600), so I would have thought it would be the other way round, trouble with processing planet and no trouble with viewing lots of models.

Yeah I definitely need to look at model rendering performance. Probably they are slow because there are too many state changes when materials change, and when drawing the same model a bunch of times the draws are not grouped and the vertex buffers are rebound each call.

If models avoid having dynamic geometry then there is no lua call at render time, which is the kind of thing that might freak out optimisation-minded coders. but it sure makes the ships look cool.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Well at least my pc isn't dying a slow death. 😉

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

well, today i decided to rework all, to simplify a lot and make the "standard" objects in a way they aren't that process intense. there was allways this voice in the back of my mind that it should be done this way 😉

but you can disable some other if it's just for a clip,

try maybe the older version of the combo buildings but you will need the older arcology to make that work, it's in the post where i linked the buildings.

if you disable the factories you will gain some to and get to a playable level, maybe open the script and comment 3 of the 4 versions out.

something different, i know now why some pirates are disarmed, i guess they use there back lasers which simply doesn't work.

but else, i love it. sometimes you meet a courier with a 10 or 20 MW laser, one hit and you are ashes.

it's very interesting to see how different the ships act in fight.

apart from that i have to "upgrade" the steering thrusters of all my ships, on planets with higher gravity it is difficult to start else (Epsilon Indi d).

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

potsmoke66 wrote:
......apart from that i have to "upgrade" the steering thrusters of all my ships, on planets with higher gravity it is difficult to start else (Epsilon Indi d).

I prefer it when the ships struggle to hover over a high G world, but it would be nice if on high g worlds there was a way to launch your ship in the upright position, like a rocket, as you can normally land there but just not take-off.

The Boa freighter I'm making will not fly on a high g world with a full load. So you have to pick your targets with more care 🙂

Some people might not like that though, so I suppose there can be 2 versions and you pick which one you like.

Will it be possible to have different sounds for different ships? (I'm just thinking out loud by the way 🙂 ) With different sounds we could have some of the newer ships having different engines, like an Anti-grav drive or something. Antigrav drive would produce very similar or equal amounts of thrust in any direction, and would produce no rocket plume.

Older ships would have the normal reaction drives (rocket engines).

In FFE it was a little like this. The newer ships did have better all-round thrusters but they still had the same sounds and exhausts. Whereas the older ships had the standard big dive on the back, with piddly little retro and hover thrusters.

ReplyQuote
OSH
 OSH
(@osh)
Master Chief Registered

Is Radeon X1550 supported? I can't launch this game on my GFX card......

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i guess yes, any recent card supporting open gl2 is supported.

i had a older 9700 and it worked on it to.

but msvc is needed to make it run, best msvc 2008, i found out new msvc2010 works not that good for me

msvc2008 redist, don't use the SDK version and be shure no double instances of it found on your machine.

forget this sentence in the instructions:

Quote:
Important: Make sure you have the latest service pack and critical updates for the version of Windows that you are running. To find recent security updates, visit Windows Update.

don't do that, read the spoiler why.

of course you will need a recent dx version for open gl2, here is the latest version the best, imo.

but i guess your gfx card isn't very old and the drivers that came with it will be as good as.

use also no sdk version for dx, else the game slows down, due to one little .dll that is different to the redist.

make also shure no double instances found of this, usually it's not possible to have two dx, but the sdk will install and stay present no matter if there is a redist version installed or not.

but i can only speak for XP, i guess windows7 can act different and imo this is wanted from MS to keep us buying new softs, best from them to make them even more rich...

nah, but i "heard" from a lot of people using win7 that they can't run their "older" (not really old) games no more.

pah, i have only one explanation to this.... 😈

further some so called "security relevant updates" can prevent certain softs from running well. personally i had to strip once my XP completely from my computer and reinstall it, because some of the updates was not to revert even not with a system recovery. now autoupdate is disabled again (i had the same shit on ME) and i have no, really no problems. if you ask me, another trick to make the user feel his os is outdated 😈

i've acted like a stupid nube, only to be shure of what i allready knew before, now i can say, ok it has messed up my os twice that's evidence enough to say what's behind.

so be careful what you update from MS, it could harm your machine and no attacker from outside is to see, only ms (and other big companies) itself, they are the only ones interested in bothering you.

DX and MSVC updates are usually "clean".

if i think logical, no small business company or private could have interest to get data from you or prevent certain softs from running.

programs written by non profit developers have often the better gui, run smarter and won't leave you in the dark.

think about that... why could that be, they should have better educated people under contract, no?

then it is willingly!

simply: "go buy our new os and feel happy that your "old" software won't run no more and you have to buy some new from us"

sometimes programs put on blacklists because i don't know no virus or trojan hidden, maybe just because they don't like when they get no profit of a good soft (so for a very old cad "carCAD", i had to pull all registers to make that work again only because my system protested against and f-secure stated it is infected, what it is not for shure, btw, i never had a software written by a private including a virus or trojan (except a 100 years ago, beginning of the 90's i was infected by a harmless virus once spreading a "greetings to...". and years later when i downloadet a lot of softs from unsafe channels, but still i think the trojans are not put there by the admin of the site, MS or others does this to harm or block them), but i know it is used by the big ones to receive data from you.

one is the music library gracenote, disable delete do whatever you can to get rid of it, it ports statistics of music you listened to the database and maybe more (who knows), further once you received the titles for a CD or DVD from them you are not able to make a digital copy again from it, except you reinstall your os.

the key for that is hidden somewhere in the registry and it's not readable (hex) in most parts, i stumbled over one many years ago on old ME.

just as a example who is interested bothering you and get data from you.

you see windows media player is one of the biggest security leaks in your system (you can't disable gracenote there),

whatever MS may state what is "security relevant", bullshit, imho. maybe good for them, but not good for you.

software and os's in first degree are a big, big business and money plays a important role in this "game".

i will test pioneer under linux and see what advantage that may bring, shure i keep you informed.

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
OSH wrote:
Is Radeon X1550 supported? I can't launch this game on my GFX card......

I develop it on a Radeon X1300 mobile, so X1550 should be fine. Maybe the crash on startup is due to the many bugs in alpha4. Try this WIP exe:

http://pioneerspacesim.net/sites/defaul ... 101015.rar

(yeah built a month in the future, october 2010...)

also needs these put in data/shaders/

http://pioneerspacesim.net/sites/defaul ... .vert.glsl

http://pioneerspacesim.net/sites/defaul ... .frag.glsl

Maybe I should bang out another alpha release, since big bugs have been squashed since alpha4, and these bugs will be messing with people doing modelling.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

tomm wrote:

Maybe I should bang out another alpha release, since big bugs have been squashed since alpha4, and these bugs will be messing with people doing modelling.

If you have the time to put it together, we will certainly make use of it 😉

ReplyQuote
OSH
 OSH
(@osh)
Master Chief Registered

Still doesn't work...here is contents of stdout file...

Code:
SDL_GetVideoInfo says 32 bpp
GLSL shaders on.
data/shaders/model: Fragment shader(s) failed to link, vertex shader(s) linked.
Fragment Shader not supported by HW

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Have you tried turning shaders off in the options file?

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
OSH wrote:
Still doesn't work...here is contents of stdout file...

Code:
SDL_GetVideoInfo says 32 bpp
GLSL shaders on.
data/shaders/model: Fragment shader(s) failed to link, vertex shader(s) linked.
Fragment Shader not supported by HW

Hm how awful, i didn't make it report which shader failed to compile...

Do you know what your graphics card is?

So on my to-do list: make pioneer fall back to shaderless when this happens, rather than crashing 😉

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

I'm glad to see the disappearing terrain bug has been fixed! That makes the game 50% more attractive i.m.o. Also, I haven't had a single crash and I've been playing the whole evening so Pioneer is getting better and better. The starfield being used since Alpha 4 is also awesome. This game is so atmospheric... I hope one day we have the option to land our spaceship, get out and hop around the terrain in a spacesuit or explore the surface in a buggy. That would be so cool, especially since I've recently discovered a few nice new planets.

Also, I really like the fog in this game and I don't want it to leave, but sometimes the fog is overdone i.m.o. At certain altitudes terrain can become real misty and you can hardly see a giant mountain which is only a few hundred meters away from you. Then again, from different altitudes the mist can look very nice. I don't know whether to hate it or love it.

Tomm, is there any way this will be possible in Pioneer or maybe a variant of Pioneer in the future? I've always wanted to see the option to explore alien planets on foot. Naturally, I don't want to come across as demanding but I'm just wondering what you're planning to do with Pioneer. Is it going to be an exact replica of Elite or are you going to give it a bit of an own identity? I assume, with limited time and manpower, the game will in time only receive small, doable extra features of course.

ReplyQuote
OSH
 OSH
(@osh)
Master Chief Registered

tomm wrote:

ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series...

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
OSH wrote:
tomm wrote:

ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series...

Yeah i have the memory of a goldfish 🙂 Sure do is odd that it says hardware doesn't support shader when it is the same hardware more or less as I test on

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  
KingHaggis wrote:
Tomm, is there any way this will be possible in Pioneer or maybe a variant of Pioneer in the future? I've always wanted to see the option to explore alien planets on foot. Naturally, I don't want to come across as demanding but I'm just wondering what you're planning to do with Pioneer. Is it going to be an exact replica of Elite or are you going to give it a bit of an own identity? I assume, with limited time and manpower, the game will in time only receive small, doable extra features of course.

Well the idea is that it becomes a big open source game with lots of coders working on it, and it gets bigger and better forever and ever, kindof like a mix of nethack and flightgear or something.

I have always planned to make v1.0 mostly as featureful as elite 2 was, and avoid getting sidetracked with new features and consequently never releasing a playable game (. After v1.0 I'd like to add dynamic changing of systems and evolution of the gameworld over time (like places slowly getting more inhabited, wars causing allegiance changes to systems and destruction of cities, etc).

I'm not against getting out of ships and walking, although planets are big places so it might be a slow way to get around. Also it would need cool things like dust and footprints and golf to give it some zest.

ReplyQuote
jcgea
(@jcgea)
Crewman Registered

Hi everybody outta there.

I have the same problem than KrOwz (Runtime Error when I try to launch the game, in Alpha 4), even with the C++ installed. Anyone can help?

Thx. Have a nice fly, all you pilots.

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Quote:
Well the idea is that it becomes a big open source game with lots of coders working on it, and it gets bigger and better forever and ever, kindof like a mix of nethack and flightgear or something.

I have always planned to make v1.0 mostly as featureful as elite 2 was, and avoid getting sidetracked with new features and consequently never releasing a playable game (. After v1.0 I'd like to add dynamic changing of systems and evolution of the gameworld over time (like places slowly getting more inhabited, wars causing allegiance changes to systems and destruction of cities, etc).

I'm not against getting out of ships and walking, although planets are big places so it might be a slow way to get around. Also it would need cool things like dust and footprints and golf to give it some zest.

Thanks for your answer. The ideas you have for Pioneer are very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the future. Sounds like you are planning to add extras after all. I hope the dynamic war/allegiance system you're describing will not be purely schematic but with visible AI controlled assets fighting eachother.

And it's true that a planet is way too big to travel on foot or with a rover/buggy but it's not that I would like to drive/walk from continent to continent of course. I'd use my spaceship for that. I just think it would add something extra if you can stand on a mountain after having walked for half an hour and see your ship somewhere below in a valley. Maybe even build a little miningstation somewhere and watch the mining process on foot. You can come back weeks later and inspect your mining base with a buggy. Also, walking around a city on foot would be nice, even if it were very simply done. Pure awesomeness and the Pioneer planetary terrain would be very suitable for this 😎 . Then again, the Pioneer engine would be great to use with just about everything. The galaxy is so huge and its planets so detailed and unique that you simply MUST do more with this game. Sorry for being so pushy, it's just my enthousiasm that carries me away and the fact that we've never had a really good complete spacesim to play with 😀 .

By the way, sorry for derailing this thread. This should be posted in a different thread I think.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2