Notifications
Clear all

Nav computer

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I felt like a break from Lua work tonight so I started making something like the old nav computer. Lots to do still but I thought you might like to see the start of it:

NuQee.png

Its currently activated by the comms button, which I think I prefer to a seperate function more and more as the comms button becomes about performing actions on targets (recent builds even let you tell the autopilot to fight for you! ).

I'm going to try grouping the options by planet to see if it makes it less overwhelming in a heavily-populated system. I also want to add hooks so that mission modules can add stuff to the list (eg light the way to your mining machine ). Something that might be cool also is a "favourites" or similar: if you always go to the same starport in a system, why not put it at the top? Thats much later though, because it means I have to manage some state which is complicated and boring.

Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

the REAL new ZZ1 😆

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

I'm loving the idea of auto-combat! I'm terrible at doing it manually 😳

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Quote:
I felt like a break from Lua work tonight so I started making something like the old nav computer. Lots to do still but I thought you might like to see the start of it:

That looks great Rob.

Quote:
I'm going to try grouping the options by planet to see if it makes it less overwhelming in a heavily-populated system.

Yes! Hehe, I was about to suggest that when I saw the pic, but looks like your already on it.

Something like this perhaps? :

Earth

- Shanghai

- Mexico City

- Ect

* Moon

*- Lunar City

Mars

- Cydonia

ect

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  
s2odan wrote:
Earth

- Shanghai

- Mexico City

- Etc

* Moon

*- Lunar City

Mars

- Cydonia

etc

Exactly like that. I was also thinking it might be cute to put a little icon next to it to indicate what the thing is (orbital or surface starport, etc). I'll play some more.

ReplyQuote
shenle
(@shenle)
Senior Chief Registered

Subzeroplainzero wrote:
I'm loving the idea of auto-combat! I'm terrible at doing it manually 😳

Ever played IL-2? The autopilot there is pretty good at shooting down enemy planes for you. Better than I am anyway. 🙂

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Just to be clear, the autopilot fighting for you has nothing to do with me or this patch. Thats serious proper work being done by jaj22. I'm just adding UI clutter here 😉

ReplyQuote
Subzeroplainzero
(@subzeroplainzero)
Master Chief Registered

Yep.. I realised that after I mentioned it. Looks like your nav computer is streamlining the whole thing nicely! Should make doing delivery missions a breeze 🙂

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

as long as i dont crash into the planets on dokcing ill be happy

ReplyQuote
jaj22
(@jaj22)
Petty Officer Registered

Well, I just spent two weeks rewriting the autopilot so there should be a lot less random death now.

Not that I give a damn about the player. I just did it so that AIs can navigate and dock at 10000x 😀

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Here's a couple of screenshots with groupings:

mjZKz.png

fq4aU.png

I can see how it could make it easier to find things under certain circumstances, but I'm still not sure I like it. I can't quite pin down what bothers me though. What do you all think?

ReplyQuote
HawkerT
(@hawkert)
Petty Officer Registered

robn!

I really like the grouping of the destinations as per planet/moon.

IMHO makes it way easier to find your desired destination.

Thank you for all your work on this.

You and the other Pioneer developers are really working wonders and marvels!

All the best

Frans

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Yeah, this makes navigation a lot easier. Thanks for your efforts, Robn.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Great work Robn! 🙂

ReplyQuote
doomdark64
(@doomdark64)
Petty Officer Registered

Great stuff, wen can we expect to see this? the next alpha or maybe a later version.?

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

jaj22 good work on the autopilot are there any situations where the player will still die while docking on autopilot ?

ReplyQuote
jaj22
(@jaj22)
Petty Officer Registered

ollobrain wrote:
jaj22 good work on the autopilot are there any situations where the player will still die while docking on autopilot ?

Well, at least one of the orbital station models has the wrong bounding radius so the autopilot won't dodge it properly. Other than that there are some theoretical issues involving physical limits and coincidences, for example it may struggle to fly to a station on a rapidly spinning planet at 10000x, it'll fall over if gravity is too large for the thrusters to counter, and it may struggle to dodge small fast-moving planets unrelated to its target.

Anything else is a bug 😀

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

so any way of avoiding planets with stations spinning at 10000x or wrong radius stations etc

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

Quote:
Well, at least one of the orbital station models has the wrong bounding radius so the autopilot won't dodge it properly.

Well, that should be simple enough to fix. Care to elaborate?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

jaj22 wrote:
Other than that there are some theoretical issues involving physical limits and coincidences, for example it may struggle to fly to a station on a rapidly spinning planet at 10000x, it'll fall over if gravity is too large for the thrusters to counter, and it may struggle to dodge small fast-moving planets unrelated to its target.

I see this as a feature, fly smart, use your stardreamer properly and monitor your approach and flight vectors! 😉

jaj22 wrote:
Anything else is a bug 😀

Hey it worked for David Braben! 😆

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

at least this program continues to develop and go forward unlike braben and elite 4 lol

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I'm still interested in the space station model's bounding radius. I've been trying to enhance the stations and I've noticed that spacestation_entry1_stage3 crashes the modelviewer. I don't see what's wrong with the bounding radius, but is that the one you meant jaj22? This question belongs in the modeling thread, I know, but I've been unable to get interior lighting to work properly in that docking bay and you may have given me a clue as to why. I've tried a bounding radius of 200 and 400 with no apparent effect.

ReplyQuote
Mysibrat
(@mysibrat)
Petty Officer Registered

...but I'm still not sure I like it. I can't quite pin down what bothers me though. What do you all think?

Well, i am could not imagine life without this. Anyway, it will be nice addon, when every name have additional information about distance from your ship.

ReplyQuote