Notifications
Clear all

Pioneer vs. ATI Graphics (image heavy)

mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

hey guys!

As some people know this epic game has its issues with at least some ATI graphics cards. So i'd like to make the first step here and identify some of the most striking bugs.

Running on my ATI Radeon HD 5650 i am having these major bugs (with shades enabled. without shaders there are no problems)

1. models (ships, buildings) disappear when they are in and in front of a particular "zone" around the planet (has something to do with the atmosphere i think) This is almost everytime the case when one is above the surface.

this changes by the way when you are very very far away from the planet.

2. you can see some planet details (parts from hills, mountains) from the other side of the planet through the planet

3. planet details disappear in a smaller part of that "atmospheric zone"

4. planets look squared

5. (not so critical) HUD letters appear very dark when you look towards a very bright planet (HDR)

[attachment=317:1_radeon1.jpg]

[attachment=318:2_radeon2.jpg]

[attachment=319:3_radeon3.jpg]

i attached screenshots this time to show you guys what i am talking about. i hope that it is not too complicated to solve these problems... i think most of the problems have to do with this so-called atmospheric zone.

mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

next screenshots:

[attachment=320:4_radeon4.jpg]

[attachment=321:5_no_shaders.jpg]

[attachment=322:6_shaders.jpg]

ReplyQuote
mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

HDR problem:

[attachment=323:7_shaders_HDR.jpg]

ReplyQuote
tomm
 tomm
(@tomm)
Master Chief Registered

That doesn't look so good.

The graphics cards I have to test on are a Geforce 6800 and a Radeon x1300, so it will be hard to figure out why this is happening. Do any GLSL-knowing people have Radeon 5xxx hardware?

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

The thing with the HUD being too dark to read with HDR enabled is not an ATI thing as I'm having the same issue with my Nvidia GTX480. For this reason, I switched off HDR because it's too dificult to fly over terrain with a nearly invisible HUD.

Also, with HDR enabled, I'm experiencing "blinking" planets which resemble navigation lights when they are very far away.

Certain planets, especially the "frozen" ones S20dan added for alpha 6, have extremely high mountains. The tips of the mountains extend far into space and when you get near enough, you can sometimes see a big black circle/artifact around the entire planet, like the mountain peaks are sticking through some kind of black ceiling. The mountains also get transparant closer to the ground in this case. This doesn't happen on all planets, only planets with very high mountains. In alpha 7, it seems the very high mountains have gone and the black box is gone with them. I haven't found a planet yet with extremely high mountains.

Also, my font is (was) messed up. The letter "i" was a letter "l" on my PC througout the entire game. This was not the case on my 2nd PC. Now that I've added the new graphical cockpit icons available for download from a different thread, the fonts are back to normal, showing "i" as "i". So that problem is gone.

Those are about the only graphical issues I'm having with Pioneer. Graphics concerned, it's all very bugfree on my PC actually 😀 .

ReplyQuote
Danvir
(@danvir)
Crewman Registered

As far as I can tell, the only graphical glitch I'm experiencing in Alpha 7 is being able to see the rings of gas giants through the planet itself (so I can see the full ring except where it breaks for the shadow). I'm using a Radeon X1950 Pro.

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

I read on an FFED3D thread that people were having trouble while using Vista aero. Is it possibly an issue here?

ReplyQuote
OSH
 OSH
(@osh)
Master Chief Registered

I have ATI Radeon X1550. First screen (Eagle's animation) is nearly invisible. Game is VERY slow. My processor is Athlon64 2GHz Do I have too weak GFX-Card or too weak processor?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

When I get some spare time I will test Alpha 7 on my rig as well since I have the ATI4890 and running Win7 Pro 64bit on a Quad AMD Processor. I haven't updated my drivers in quite sometime since they have been running fine. I know sometimes drivers are the issue and maybe trying some older versions might just do something.

ReplyQuote
mathee
(@mathee)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Just to give you an update on this guys:

I figured out that the drivers HP installed on my notebook were outdated by 1 year or so..

So i installed the new drivers. installation gave me a black screen and finally my computer crashed down and nothing happended anymore. 🙁

After restarting pioneer works perfectly with shaders and hdr

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

coming into 2011 new drivers seem to be coming out from all the major developers so i guess update drivers and then on report any issues that arise - btw graphics work great here

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the only graphical glitch I'm experiencing in Alpha 7 is being able to see the rings of gas giants through the planet itself (so I can see the full ring except where it breaks for the shadow). I'm using a Radeon X1950 Pro.

yep, a bit annoying, i guess that stays for all.

ReplyQuote