Notifications
Clear all

Sound in Pioneer

Staniol
(@staniol)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone.

I am the one responsible for the current sounds in Pioneer. (It can be a dangerous statement I know, but I am brave).

Honestly, I had a lot to do in the last couple of months, so I had no time to follow progress or improve my work in the 'game'.

Now I found some free time surprisingly, and since Pioneer is the game I dreamed of when I played frontier on my amiga, I am willing to continue my work on the sound department.

All in all, I am happy to hear your comments, concerns, remarks or feedbacks, to help me improving what I drafted out a couple of months before.

(Sorry for my grammar, I am not a native speaker.)

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Staniol

Welcome to the SSC 🙂

So far I have been happy with the sounds in Pioneer, if I had a request it would be more atmospheric sounds during re-entry and once landed, eg birdsong or crickets (during the nightcycle) in the background on Earth like planets with life, also thinking back to a friend of mine who used to have a big motorbike, after he had been running the engine for a while, when he switched it off, it used to make a small ticking noise as it cooled off. I think that would add a nice touch if the drive core of your ship did that after a long flight, just my thoughts 🙂

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

fantastic idea i would say, noise due to decline of cooling material

you know that i like your sounds, from pioneer_dev

ReplyQuote
Staniol
(@staniol)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Ok, thanks for the posts.

I think I'll concentrate on reediting the ones I do not like in the current, mainly because of quality.

Also need to make some additional ambients for new planet types.

Good Idea on the cooling sounds, will do something with it.

I am also working on ship interior sounds especially with huge crew (whispers, typing sounds, cough, doors closing, equipment humming, you know).

I will occupy myself for the next 1 month, but keep them coming! 🙂

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

actually planet types having different ambiet tunes or sounds as a backgrounds is a good idea keep up the good work ( love the ingame sound as is now to)

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Hello, Staniol.

If you're the person who put that awesome engine hum into the game you shall forthwith be showered with glory and beautiful women aplenty. Superlative work, that man. Wot wot.

ReplyQuote
Staniol
(@staniol)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
Stardreamer wrote:
Hello, Staniol.

If you're the person who put that awesome engine hum into the game you shall forthwith be showered with glory and beautiful women aplenty. Superlative work, that man. Wot wot.

This one made me smile, and apart from enjoying the game, these kind of posts give you strength to continue.

Thank you.

However,

Which sound you are talking about?

Thrusters or the "background ambient strange sound" which is always in the background (but different depending on the system you are in)?

I would be happy to tell about how I made some of them...:)

ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Captain Registered

By all means, tell us! 🙂 I'm very happy with your work so far, thanks! If I have one suggestion, when music is added to Pioneer, I'd like it if the ambient and engine sounds would play simultaneously. I don't like how in FFE you can only play one or the other. We have enough sound channels now I think.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Had another thought for sounds in Pioneer. It would be nice if the drive core also made a noise when building up to a hyperspace jump, a bit like the ships in Star Wars or Star Trek do, like gathering energy before releasing it.

ReplyQuote
memnoch
(@memnoch)
Petty Officer Registered

I like that idea. And you could have the effects vary upon the size of the drive: a high pitched whine for the smaller drives and a lower pitched throb for the bigger ones. Perhaps some other variance between civilian and military drives.

ReplyQuote
Staniol
(@staniol)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Well, the sound of the hyperdrive was one of the first I put together.

Honestly, there's a lot I have done, much much more than you can find in the game, but I am not a programmer, so I have to wait until Tom implement them, and as you know, he has a lot more important things to fix and develop. 🙂

If any of you interested in implementing my sounds, I assume Tom has nothing against helping him out, and I am more than happy to share my plans and design on how each piece should be implemented.

However, if we start this, Would be great to have someone dedicated and serious, I would hate explaining the whole thing again and again (maybe I should do a presentation? 🙂 )

And as a teaser, here is the hyperspace sound I created.

It has a 10 second warm up, then the jump and a 15 second calm down.

if you concentrate, you can discover some refrigerator sounds, a transformator station, and even my bass guitar with way too much effects..

http://rapidshare.com/files/444331950/Hyperspace.ogg

Also, good point on the various drive sounds!

ReplyQuote