Notifications
Clear all

What to do with the Linux builds?

robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

This thread is entirely about Pioneer on Linux. Windows and OS X people need not apply 🙂

I was just now doing builds for alpha 22, and ran into some problems because the releases are usually 32-bit, but my build machine has recently been upgraded to 64-bit. Since the 32-bit builds have had trouble for a while because of the ancient version of GLEW they were built against, I thought it might be time to sort it out but I need to know what people are using.

So if you're on Linux and using binary builds of Pioneer, I want to know if you're on a 32 or 64 bit Linux, and how recent it is (distro name and version will be fine). If you've been running nightlies, let me know if they've been working well for you or not.

Tonight I will do something. It will be one of:

- build alpha 22 on Ubuntu 10 LTS 64-bit

- set up a chroot or vm and build on something else

- not build for Linux at all.

Which of those I choose will largely be dependent on the responses I get here, so please do reply if this is important to you. Cheers!

Zordey
(@zordey)
Senior Chief Registered

I am using Fedora 16 64bit, as you stated, I found the binary versions always failed on GLEW so I have been getting the nightlys from GIT and have not had any problems (other than the slight learning curve of the couple of GIT / configure commands needed).

Personally I am happy downloading and building the nightlys and will probably not bother with the other versions on my linux machine (although I still use the binarys on my Windows machine)

ReplyQuote
robn
 robn
(@robn)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Votes are in. 64 bit build it is.

ReplyQuote
OzFalcon
(@ozfalcon)
Petty Officer Registered

I still run 32 bit Ubuntu 10.04. (Planning on upgrading on 12.04.1)

Can you still build 32 bit packages?

Please!

Michael.

ReplyQuote
OzFalcon
(@ozfalcon)
Petty Officer Registered

If anyone is interested,

I have built Alpha22 on Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit.

I have a source forge account, So I should be able to upload the bin to the project.

(Never used Source Forge before, But it shouldn't be too hard. ie Join project, Upload Bin?)

If someone could give some advice on how to package it, I'll upload it.

OzFalcon.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

OzFalcon: Very good idea, most running 32-bit.

Find much information on Google to create. deb

See also folder /debian in pioneer.

Or you can also just a tar.bz2 with folder /data and binaries.

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

Pioneer runs perfectly on Ubuntu versions 10.x, 11.x and 12.04 of 32-bit

ReplyQuote
whisper979
(@whisper979)
Senior Chief Registered

I run the latest 32 bit version of ubuntu. I hope you are able to keep supporting that. Thanks for your hard work.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Just to clear things up a bit:

robn is no longer providing 32-bit binaries - just the 64-bit version.

There is nothing stopping you from compiling your own 32-bit version of your flavour of linux (provided you have all the dependencies of course).

ReplyQuote
OzFalcon
(@ozfalcon)
Petty Officer Registered

OK,

I have build and packaged (Just compressed tar)

Pioneer_Alpha22_Ubuntu_10.04_32bit.tar.bz2

philbywhizz: Is this file name acceptable?

As soon as I have joined https://sourceforge.net/projects/pioneerspacesim/ I will upload it.

(My upload is slow, So it may take an hour or two)

I know I'm (usually) guilty of just passing by if there is no Binary to eyeball what's going on quickly and easily.

So for those like me or People checking out if it's a project worth getting involved in (It is),

ENJOY.

ReplyQuote
Brianetta
(@brianetta)
Commander Registered

OzFalcon wrote:
I know I'm (usually) guilty of just passing by if there is no Binary to eyeball what's going on quickly and easily.

I'm quite the opposite. I expect either an installable package, or up to date source code. I won't play with binary tarballs at all.

ReplyQuote
fluffyfreak
(@fluffyfreak)
Captain Registered

I didn't even know there was a SourceForge repository, I thought it was all over on GitHub ( https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer )

ReplyQuote
Luomu
(@luomu)
Master Chief Registered

fluffyfreak wrote:
I didn't even know there was a SourceForge repository, I thought it was all over on GitHub ( https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer )

Sourceforge is only used for nightly builds and releases, since github does not offer enough upload space (there's more than 21 gigs of archived releases on SF now).

ReplyQuote
OzFalcon
(@ozfalcon)
Petty Officer Registered

Quote:
I'm quite the opposite. I expect either an installable package, or up to date source code. I won't play with binary tarballs at all.

By Binary I mean either packaged deb/rpm OR tarball.

(Not everyone has the dev packages to compile on the machine they are currently using)

I would prefer a package also for the final release of the game.

But for Alpha releases - That get installed & removed often - Tar is just fine.

ReplyQuote
whisper979
(@whisper979)
Senior Chief Registered

Quote:
Just to clear things up a bit:

robn is no longer providing 32-bit binaries - just the 64-bit version.

There is nothing stopping you from compiling your own 32-bit version of your flavour of linux (provided you have all the dependencies of course).

Actually, there is one thing stopping me. I have no earthly idea how to do this! 😉

ReplyQuote