Clear all

Chris Roberts Star Citizen

Page 17 / 18

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Montage of Star citizen bits. 😎

Ist minute mostly pre rendered stuff but it goes into the game play after.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New version was launched over the weekend https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14572-Star-Citizen-11-Is-Live scroll down past the adds for expensive ships for the details.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Monthly wall of text for March https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14640-Monthly-Report-March

ReplyQuote
Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered

So I ran across this in my print copy of Wired today.

I've gone over with a highlighter the following:

(On the story cover, print version only): "Nostalgic gamers have given Chris Roberts more than $75 million to build the most ambitious space adventure ever.  What have they gotten in return?  Virtual fish tanks and digital spaceships they can't fly."

"for every would-be player who thinks Roberts is the savior of hardcore PC gaming - George Lucas crossed with Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto - there's one who thinks him a charlatan, a 21st-century snake-oil salesman."

"there's another wrinkle to it: expertly crafted crowdfunding campaigns like Cloud Imperium's manage to replicate the pleasures of playing a game."

"Roberts has already succeeded in building his vast universe - inside each of [the Backers'] minds."

That about sums up CIG's project for me.  There is a lot more to the article, and I found the author to be pretty even-handed given the circumstance.

The following reaction on reddit may have been predictable.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New version of SC 1.1.1 https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14652-Star-Citizen-Alpha-111-Released

Star Citizen Alpha 1.1.1 is now available via the launcher! Today’s update adds a variety of bug fixes, balance changes and general updates intended to improve the Arena Commander experience. Additional bomber pilots can also man their planes: the Anvil Gladiator is now flyable! 1.1.1 adds manned turrets to three of our spacecraft and introduces a new type of large missile; further information about both of these systems is included below. Please let us know about your experiences with 1.1.1 below or on the forums; your feedback, experience with game balance and bug reporting helps us improve Star Citizen as we build the final game!

And note on there version numbering for the various bit of SC. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14651-Note-From-The-Chairman-Version-Numbering

When we released our last major game update, 1.1, I posted that going forward we would refer to future public builds as ‘Star Citizen’ rather than ‘Arena Commander.’ Star Citizen 1.1 instead of Arena Commander 1.1. The reasoning behind this decision was the fact that in the near future we won’t just be releasing Arena Commander. We’ll be releasing Star Marine, the initial social module, multi-crew, Squadron 42… and more. Star Citizen is coming together, and it made sense to get that across. Since we wanted the external number to match what we use internally, calling it Star Citizen 1.1 just made sense.

The big problem was that calling the game “1.1” is that it could also imply something I didn’t intend. There’s no proper standard for build numbers, but it is a common practice to refer to your first commercial release as 1.0. Calling what we are releasing Star Citizen 1.1 might imply that Star Citizen is finished, or a game you can pick up and play in its polished form today. Many backers argued this point on the forums, and we listened carefully to the debate.

Many of you may see this as a small thing, easily dismissed or corrected. But what truly struck me about the response was the reasoning that came up time and again: of course backers know and understand where Star Citizen is in development today… but they were concerned that new players learning about the project wouldn’t. And that crystallized something for me: Star Citizen’s community doesn’t just want to play the game they’ve paid for… they care as much as the development team about making sure the game is a success. For all the debate back and forth, the thought that our community would worry quite seriously about excluding future players made me extremely happy.

So of course we resolved to make a change. As noted above, one of the requirements was that it not just be a forward facing community change: if we were going to change how we name our builds, we were going to do it internally and externally. Internally, we had much the same discussion that was going on on the forums: what do we call it? Add a leading 0? Temporarily drop ‘Star Citizen’? A new system of letters? In the process, we reviewed all of your many suggestions. In the end, the answer was that we wanted to keep it Star Citizen and we wanted to call it 1.1 in order to avoid renumbering everything and reworking our stream names (more of a challenge than you would think) and our long term plans. You’re playing the same builds we are, it only makes sense to give you the same information we have. And so with a great deal of very careful consideration I’m happy to announce that we have chosen one of the community’s suggestsions: you are downloading Star Citizen Alpha 1.1 with today’s release. Thank you to everyone out there who took part in this debate, and who helped us decide on the best change to make.

• Alpha 1.1.1 – Today’s Update (Primarily Arena Commander improvements)
  • Alpha 1.1.2 – Code Stability bug fix patch for Pre-Star Marine
  • Alpha 1.2.0 – Star Marine
  • Alpha 1.3.0 – Social Module

Hopefully, that solves the numbering issue and helps new backers understand Star Citizen’s status and plans. I will close with a final, genuine thank you to the community for helping sort this out and for caring enough about Star Citizen in the first place that it would ever be an issue.

— Chris Roberts

Has there funding slowed down this year as they have not announced anything for a while?.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like they got hacked according to this thread on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/375kvv/leakwip_after_the_recent_leak_of_40gb_worth_of/ or was it some sort of stunt.

The story: A community manager for CIG posted a screen shot that included a partial URL. Someone guessed the rest and was able to get on a torrent containing ~48GB of unreleased assets. By the time CIG shut it down 2 people had already hit 100% and it went from there.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes bet that gave the devs a bit of a head ache.

In other news the Misc Reliant concept sale is running. Looks like a cool wee ship

Reliant_LandedConfig_Final_Hobbins_zps2k

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Good job you posted that picture, as just for a second I had a version of this. 😆

i039205_zpsxvkjrnlj.jpg

One of the better design from SC as it reminds me of a B Wing or the bubble fighter from the Lost in Space film although I'm not inclined to pay them 50 bucks for it.

bwing%20bubble%20fighter_zpsr5nkubbu.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Monthly wall of text out for Star Citizen https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14758-Monthly-Report-May

It’s hard to believe June is already upon us! Work on Star Citizen continues at a frenzied pace at our studios and outsource partners around the world. This month, we’re excited to introduce our latest studio, Foundry 42 Germany, to the report. You’ll be seeing a lot from Germany in the coming months: they’re charged with tackling many of the programming challenges facing Star Citizen on the road to the persistent universe. Work continues in those areas, and on our many modules and milestones, from Star Marine (now being readied for its PTU debut) to Squadron 42 (cinematics currently being directed by Chris Roberts in London!) Your top-level view of exactly what we’ve done this month can be found below.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Thought I'd give this very cool fan made Gladiator flight manual a bump. It was created by an RSI forum member called nimrod_77, is constantly being updated and is well worth a read even if you don't have the ship. Have a look at this thread over on the RSI forums for more details.

EDIT; There has been an update. Nimrod_77 has now completed a Hornet manual to add to the Gladiator one. You can grab both here and any others he might add in the future.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Not been keeping up withe the shenanigans at Star Citizen but according to the latest chairman letter the FPS module has been delayed https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14803-Letter-From-The-Chairman the accompanying pics looks a bit photo shopped.

The tl;dr is that we feel the current build doesn’t feel like it lives up to the standards we’ve want to achieve with Star Citizen. There are several issues that will need additional time in order to deliver the first iteration of the gameplay we want you to experience. The challenges facing the FPS launch are a mix of technical blockers and gameplay issues. The most significant technical hurdle faced today is the networking backend. After attempting to work with the legacy code, we decided that we needed to drop some of the legacy technology. That meant developing what we’re calling a Generic Instance Manager (GIM) and rewriting both the Matchmaker and (for the larger project) the game Launcher from scratch. Those efforts are all going well, but they’ve all taken additional time for our engineers.

Also a bit about Squadron 42.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yep, I sorta guessed it was net code delaying things. It's a common headache for dev teams everywhere. Interesting they will not be able to use the standard net code that comes with Cry Engine. If they do have to write their own custom code that will take a while.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Monthly wall of text https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14814-Monthly-Report

Given up with trying to keep up with what is going on in SC but I like this Q&A about the starliners in SC https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14812-Starliner-Q-A Wonder if you can use then to get around the games universe if you lose your ship.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

An interesting ship for sure but too expensive for me. £315 is well out of my reach.

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered

Monthly wall of text https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14814-Monthly-Report

Given up with trying to keep up with what is going on in SC but I like this Q&A about the starliners in SC https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14812-Starliner-Q-A Wonder if you can use then to get around the games universe if you lose your ship.

Hey the answer is yes, I do rember Chris Roberts saying this would one of the many ways to traverse the verse without owing your own ship, as in yours is in the shop due to the last battle, I am a backer & the arena commander games are amazing ! Can't wait for the fps & multi crew.

Shadowma

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Hey the answer is yes, I do rember Chris Roberts saying this would one of the many ways to traverse the verse without owing your own ship, as in yours is in the shop due to the last battle, I am a backer & the arena commander games are amazing ! Can't wait for the fps & multi crew.

Shadowma

That's interesting that you can do that, the only other game I can think of which let you book passage on a starliner is Mega Traveller 2.

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered

Yes this game will be like a GTA in space with all the cool trimmings, I think it will change the way games are made & play. To me it contains all the things & game play that STO should have had. But time will tell, I myself can't wait. 🙂

Shadowma

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

My goodness another 25 GIG patch is out, 1.15. This is gonna take me 2 full days to download.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)
Warrant Officer Registered

Agreed, I find their endless enormous patches (basically, re-download the whole game client!) slightly tedious. They seem unfamiliar with the UK concept of capped/throttled internet downloads!

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

Heh, 25 gb patch...That's 5 more gb than my cap allows per month.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Seems SC is starting to move again, maybe something to do with Smarts blogs over the last month, anyhow a Star Marine update. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14925-Star-Marine-Status-Update

The staging merge to Game-Dev (from main-1.2.0 staging) began earlier this week, and a concerted effort is being made to resolve conflicts that the automated integration system finds as soon as they come up. Conflicts rarely go more than an hour before someone in ATX addresses the conflict themselves, or hits up a developer to do it. We are resolving conflicts nearly 24/7 with folks in Austin covering the weekends, and devs in the UK studio covering manual conflict resolution while the ATX team is asleep, and so on. That said, as of the time of writing we are at 5860 unmerged CLs, out of the 7718 we started with on Wednesday. Progress is being made, but if we keep the same rate we won’t be done for another 6 or 7 days. Once the merge is done, and then there will be time spent on doing a code review and getting Game-dev stable. Which would be about 3 weeks total! We’re going to have one of our engineers here do a manual merge review over the weekend, and allow for a code review during the week, with a cut off of next Friday 9/4. That means next Friday we can begin the work of making FPS work in Game-dev starting on Monday 9/7.

Nyx Landing Zone preview.

Just noticed this video of baldy demonstrating a hack which will let you fly around the planet environment.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Monthly wall of text is out. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14937-Monthly-Studio-Report

Been a while since they mentioned the funding target has it finally slowed down?.

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Well if some negativity squad is venting on daily basis about no progress. Doesn't mean there isn't any till the next public drop. They are producing allong. And are busy with merging modules. Which means no release because that merge main code branch will be the basis for there next public release. And then we can leave the "Arena" name out of AC. And call it SC Alfa. And then the multicrew feature we can test somewhere in the future.

SC is a large production where they want to take it big and that mean travel where no dev had gone before with this feature set. So planning is difficult, a requerment is flexible large and growing funding. As if there was a publisher who back you up without harsh deadline but compensate delay for better polished end result.

Wat draws me in is multicrew and big spacecraft. And squadron42 especialy that.

It big bold and risky thing making this game. So yes it can fail. But I am not into Hype or promises. The main big feature if they are playable it would be great. But full polished bug free feature complete result is what we all want. But difficult to get.

Often such games use a full publisher backing with flexible fund and a "it done when it done " deadline.

Like IDsoft had have that for some early games.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Read some where they are not far off the 90 million mark now and they have started selling $900 ships.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Lots of SC videos have poped up check their YouTube channel.

Nice video of the Starmap 😎 but is just me or does the guy or computer generated voice on this clip have an lisp with the letter "S".

ReplyQuote
Page 17 / 18